Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayzer

Can someone please explain Shadowbane to me?

Shadowbane, put simply, was either growth or destruction. Every in game experience led to you, as a player, choosing to grow or to give up the ghost. It's the only MMORPG I've ever played where the avatar's experience could be rendered irrelevant by a large gap in the experience between the two players trying to kill one another. Growing as a player, trying new builds/tactics/etc. never ceased to get old. There are still a number of scout builds I wanted to try but never did, and scouts were pretty much all I played.

In addition, the character building was in depth enough that it never failed to generate discussion and brainstorming sessions amongst the player base. Every few months, some guild would come up with a spec group of "gimp" characters and demolish people with it. This was best seen on loreplay servers, but it could be seen from time to time elsewhere as well.

Last, but not least, Shadowbane is the only game I've ever played where you could have someone tick you off, then mark their home on the map and go burn it down. If someone loots your leet blade of whatever and dashes off in other games, you're usually out of luck. In shadowbane, you knocked down his door and got your vengeance.

CF_Van.png

god i loved my healing scout =(

Last, but not least, Shadowbane is the only game I've ever played where you could have someone tick you off, then mark their home on the map and go burn it down. If someone loots your leet blade of whatever and dashes off in other games, you're usually out of luck. In shadowbane, you knocked down his door and got your vengeance

haha, definatly had people try to do that to me a number of times.

Healing scouts. So OP. So many balance mistakes with HR and then MR and then disc "balance" but damn was it fun.

I miss my 65 con elf scout the most.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Healing scouts. So OP. So many balance mistakes with HR and then MR and then disc "balance" but damn was it fun.

I miss my 65 con elf scout the most

All you see mostly in the "emulators"  are high D bird and vamp scouts. Not much parody in the emulators like the real Shadowbane. 

All you see mostly in the "emulators"  are high D bird and vamp scouts. Not much parody in the emulators like the real Shadowbane.

Which is why the lore servers were fun. The elf was fun because it was my original launch toon and losing to it at the end of SB's life was so insulting and I'd rub it in.

nAd1VPD.png

The ability to migrate characters when servers went kaput was pretty cool. Until I saw agelmar's post, I thought I was the only one who kept a release-era character through successive migrations until the end. I managed to keep my Treachery centaur prelate, HG polearm templar, and elf channeler until the end of Mourning.

This could also lead to some incredible ironies, like me being the final inheritor of the FatFarmer Keith account. I should've sold that on eBay.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

The ability to migrate characters when servers went kaput was pretty cool. Until I saw agelmar's post, I thought I was the only one who kept a release-era character through successive migrations until the end. I managed to keep my Treachery centaur prelate, HG polearm templar, and elf channeler until the end of Mourning.

This could also lead to some incredible ironies, like me being the final inheritor of the FatFarmer Keith account. I should've sold that on eBay.

My scout had 8 deaths on his death list when Treachery went boom. Amazing what full resource gear and a super OP FC necklace could do for an elf scout. Was the original runecaster scout. Was healing my thief friends as we pillaged Skye and KGB over and over again.

nAd1VPD.png

I always wanted to be like HeRog when I grew up. Instead, all of RoS and HH quit which left my fifteen guy guild fighting all of KGB/TSL/ML/etc for the last few months of that server. It was still fun to play a terrorist.

In the end, I think I became more like Mocker. Ah well.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

The scout I used when we were doing Elven RP was a max int/con recon build.  Insanely high percentages except only 100 in LA with full resists and high regen.  Fun times plinking other rogues to death with such high atr and ~600 - 800 damage oblivion procs.  Healing for so much was fun too.

Kodor's Chain was the sick FC amulet, right?  Wait...KODOR?  HODOR?  :o

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Nope but that's all I'm saying cause to say more is not for this forum

Really? I mean because like, the anonymity of the internets makes it the perfect place to discuss one's debauchery.

But hey, we can start this discussion over in the Off Topic forum if you feel more comfortable.  Although I kind of like the idea that we can be seen here, it appeals to my voyeuristic side.

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

Which is why the lore servers were fun. The elf was fun because it was my original launch toon and losing to it at the end of SB's life was so insulting and I'd rub it in.

I felt the same about my original aelfborn rat scout on Mourning from launch day.

CF_Van.png