Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayzer

Can someone please explain Shadowbane to me?

I had mixed feelings about the FC events, it felt to scripted to me.

I would have liked to see FC chars attack safeholds, remove the peace zone and if the server didn't help then they lost khar. Have that same FC Char attack an r8, force people to have alliances or give their enemies a chance to get some revenge. Have a random item of power of drop and all mines suddenly go live. The problem was announcing it and then the horrible lag of having all those chars in one place. It felt clumsy and scripted.

Have a a single NPC shrine and who ever devotes the largest percent (but don't show amounts) gets a a nationwide buff when it reaches 100%.

It didn't feel like shadowbane, it felt like a cheap wow world boss.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

Yar...'em events afforded me some FC gear.  I had tha finest wyrmskin an' caster hood an' I forget what else.  Though over tha years I bartered and loaned fer other FC gear so it's hard ta remember which I picked up meself.  Too much grog.

Full suit of +9 / +120hp Irekei LA, a few Hodors Chain, etc. Good times.... good times

I'm not sure what the term "Eskimo brother" had to do with anything. But I meant what I said about Xanther. :)

Since your brought it up; him and I are Eskimo Brothers. PM if you wanna know, don't wanna throw dirty laundry on the boards.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

rmtUNI0.png

oh the thin line we toe....

anyhow, I feel like FC events in Crowfall would be good, but special gear just because your schedule fit for you to be there? Whack. Unless the events only offer some gear that doesn't affect pvp (like the transformation ring or silly hats), a player with no life wins.

No such a thing as a woman in Shadowbane. Even the hot ones turn out to be men.

I'm sorry, I know this is a few pages back but I laughed my ass off at this one!

oh the thin line we toe....

anyhow, I feel like FC events in Crowfall would be good, but special gear just because your schedule fit for you to be there? Whack. Unless the events only offer some gear that doesn't affect pvp (like the transformation ring or silly hats), a player with no life wins.

It was less about the gear to me and more about the lame scripting. The whole QFT thing with FC items will forever put a bad taste in the SB community when items are considered.

I said PM's, her personal life/sex life comes in contact with mine and I gave her the option to know more if she wants to. How is that a thin line? I didn't' just wanna PM her and be creepy, it's her decision what she wants to know or doesn't want to know.

Edited by drogenn

rmtUNI0.png

I didn't' just wanna PM her and be creepy, it's her decision what she wants to know or doesn't want to know.

Holy custard creeper...

Can I PM you and be creepy?

And I agree. The lore was never something I was bout-it bout-it. The FC items were ridiculous. But the challenge was definitely something epic. But like you said, other than dropping an r8 in khar and writing up some lore, there has to be some consequence other than taking a 10k bolt to the face.

Can I PM you and be creepy?

And I agree. The lore was never something I was bout-it bout-it. The FC items were ridiculous. But the challenge was definitely something epic. But like you said, other than dropping an r8 in khar and writing up some lore, there has to be some consequence other than taking a 10k bolt to the face.

Yea this a game about pvp and consequences, victors and losers. Announcing a NPC being controlled by a dev team that drops special loot in a random place felt lazy, it was a good start but when that idea was spit balled at the meeting table somebody should have expanded on it.

rmtUNI0.png

The FC events during the first 6 months of the game were significantly different from later ones. The first FC event I participated in featured two R8 characters, an Aelfborn and a Minotaur coming to our city and demanding our aide in obtaining the Tears of Volliandra for our God. At the same time, some Irekei FC's were doing the same thing in the desert, and I believe further Temple FCs were collecting the Templars. We were first taken into a nearby zone and collected some books of mobs that contained to where we needed to go next. Eventually after a couple stops, all three 'factions' converged at a single zone in the desert where we all battled. My side ended up losing, but despite that when we were at our Tree, our God appeared, named our city his Cradle of Chaos upon Aerynth, gifted me a named great sword (prior to naming) and our guild master a named great axe.

I think an event like that is a great basis for an ongoing story. The event itself gave us an ongoing story to look forward to (Why does he want the tears, how are the Irekei and Templars involved in this? etc...), threw in a bunch of books containing previously unknown history, dynamically created three factions, and rewarded a few players with items that were unique (without affecting balance).

No other MMO has ever done anything even approaching that level of player authorship

ncLez59.png

The FC events during the first 6 months of the game were significantly different from later ones. The first FC event I participated in featured two R8 characters, an Aelfborn and a Minotaur coming to our city and demanding our aide in obtaining the Tears of Volliandra for our God. At the same time, some Irekei FC's were doing the same thing in the desert, and I believe further Temple FCs were collecting the Templars. We were first taken into a nearby zone and collected some books of mobs that contained to where we needed to go next. Eventually after a couple stops, all three 'factions' converged at a single zone in the desert where we all battled. My side ended up losing, but despite that when we were at our Tree, our God appeared, named our city his Cradle of Chaos upon Aerynth, gifted me a named great sword (prior to naming) and our guild master a named great axe.

I think an event like that is a great basis for an ongoing story. The event itself gave us an ongoing story to look forward to (Why does he want the tears, how are the Irekei and Templars involved in this? etc...), threw in a bunch of books containing previously unknown history, dynamically created three factions, and rewarded a few players with items that were unique (without affecting balance).

No other MMO has ever done anything even approaching that level of player authorship

Bah take that cookie cutter pve garbage back to wow, the whole point of SB was that the story was ours to tell. We told the story in the taking of cities, mines, griefing and forumbane. The map was the greatest story of Shadowbane, making FC events affect that map should have been a part of it. We all remember foes from Shadowbane; Zero custards were given about the name of blah blah lore this and that but we all remember being ganked and wanting to hunt whoever that sob was down and making him pay.

Don't force some garbage PVE story on us, let our accomplishments in PvP tell the story of Crowfall. Build a world, give us a deep rooted history, build our past but let us build the future.

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!

rmtUNI0.png

I wonder if Todd has a picture laying around of the Sword of Eternal Purity from SB :) I want to see it.  I don't think anyone could have afforded it, was like 400mill.  I was never around for those FC events, but they don't sound too fun, I went to test mostly after Chaos(I think) merged with Mourning.  I would rather have it be like how we have R8 mobs now, but maybe have it so you have to fight to get to them and not just aggro them out of the camp?  Of course have that be in an area that another group can come in and roll that group while they are trying to destroy the big R8 boss like NPC.

Edited by amazingtacoburito

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Bah take that cookie cutter pve garbage back to wow, the whole point of SB was that the story was ours to tell. We told the story in the taking of cities, mines, griefing and forumbane. The map was the greatest story of Shadowbane, making FC events affect that map should have been a part of it. We all remember foes from Shadowbane; Zero ****s were given about the name of blah blah lore this and that but we all remember being ganked and wanting to hunt whoever that sob was down and making him pay.

Don't force some garbage PVE story on us, let our accomplishments in PvP tell the story of Crowfall. Build a world, give us a deep rooted history, build our past but let us build the future.

I could not care less about the lore of any game. I agree that shadowbane was a have that we wrote the story in. Alliances, wars, backstabbing spies. I enjoyed the test server because after awhile it all got wiped. You could all start over. Be someone new and write a different story.

Edited by mal

Bah take that cookie cutter pve garbage back to wow, the whole point of SB was that the story was ours to tell. We told the story in the taking of cities, mines, griefing and forumbane. The map was the greatest story of Shadowbane, making FC events affect that map should have been a part of it. We all remember foes from Shadowbane; Zero ****s were given about the name of blah blah lore this and that but we all remember being ganked and wanting to hunt whoever that sob was down and making him pay.

I'm not sure if by an empty quote you are praising me or admonishing me.

rmtUNI0.png

I could not care less about the lore of any game. I agree that shadowbane was a have that we wrote the story in. Alliances, wars, backstabbing spies. I enjoyed the test server because after awhile it all got wiped. You could all start over. Be someone new and write a different story.

And the ultra fast leveling and lots of money loots.  Test was best imo, I couldn't go back to the regular servers.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

I coulda sworn Greymalkin was the kid who's family was slaughtered by grobolds.

I wanna say the aelfborn was the Templar he saw. Find it, I wanna know if I'm right 11 years later.

You may be right. The aelfborn may not have even had a name.

C4sIZDW.gif

Test felt like a cheapened experience to me, that same speed worked against it. Look at the impact relationships had on mourning compared to test, people from mourning have held grudges, friendships, alliances and out right hatred for 10 years.

It makes me sad that by then I wasn't even playing SB, I would have loved to get in in that level of devotion but alas I was busy marrying a stripper and then getting divorced.

Edited by drogenn

rmtUNI0.png