Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Yekim

Game missed the mark slightly?

Recommended Posts

The game while fun seems to have missed the mark on a few topics.

 

New campaigns should always be a full fresh restart, no old characters, no pulling things in from EK, no preserved skill trees.  This would give easier entrance to newer players to the game, they could hop in for these campaigns basically like a season in an ARPG.  The length of the campaign would have to be either extended slightly or skill point gain slightly tuned up, but starting fresh is key.  That way the game starts, and there's always a sense of progression.  Guilds could work out plans and have people assigned to different roles in the skill tree to maximize efficiency and force people to work together more.  

 

Then secondly, it seems like a lot of the large more serious players of the game all congregate to one faction in the game, I don't know exactly how to fix this, but this must be extremely infuriating from a Dev perspective.  We might as well be playing Minecraft if we don't want to fight.

 

Just my opinions, game seems amazing but with out those few changes I feel like it will really miss its mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fresh start = burn out after 3rd time doing the same. ACE already stated that some campaigns will have different rules, such as restricting import/export, begining at lvl30 or not, etc. Take into account that this is a pre-alpha and you are talking as this was already beta.

 

I am sure that things will get addressed and improved while the community grow and more campaigns are designed and released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

restarting every campaign sounds incredibly awful, id rather fight all of the top 2 balance guilds by myself on an earthwarden druid with a staff that has -1000 sp then restart every campaign, now to address all your points in a semi organized way

Factions are for newer players, those guilds you see out there taking out noobs by the dozen with a single swing of their maces dont want to play with us filthy casuals, they want dregs and until dregs are here they are unfortunately staying with us, you want something fixed that is a pre alpha problem, our job here it to test the game for live, not make the game work around the 250 or so active players in the game. There currently is a sense of progression, recently me and my guild of 4 managed to get gear on the same level of much larger guilds, sure we payed for the crafting to be done by someone else but it still felt really good to get everyone out of common and into blue and purple gear, it took us 2 springs but we still did it, if we were forced to restart every campaign smaller guilds would never have a chance of catching up to the larger guilds, currently there's a bottleneck called embers stopping guilds like W and HoA from gearing every single player out in purple and gold gear, and thats allowing us to catch up to their average player, their core pvpers are of course still outgearing us but their average player is not. If you force everyone to restart every campaign those guilds will still be able to get blue tiered gear fairly easily, smaller guilds wont and newer players will suffer. Also people are forced to work together already, to craft 1 set of armor and weapons you need, a miner, a quarryman, a logger, a skinner, a blacksmith, a leatherworker, a woodworker, and possibly a runecrafter depending on your weapon.

There are serious players on all factions, the best just happen to be on balance, chaos for example last campaign on EU had a leader emerge that lead them to do great things and are fighting pretty hard right now against balance on na and giving them a run for their money (at least they were until balance took all 3 keeps, good job chaos you blew it) and order has some serious guilds that swapped factions with the intent of creating more fights against the current reigning overlords, but like i said above, those players are not here by choice, they would much rather be fighting in the dregs then in factions.


hoayaga2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I respect the opinions given on it and appreciate a well thought out response to what I said, so thank you.  I do think we have different mindsets on how we want to see the game played out and I also think that's completely fine.  Your way plays out more like a traditional MMO, you level up, you get stronger, etc.  I guess I was hoping with the campaigns to break that mold a bit.  Campaigns with varying lengths, 2-4 weeks for example with a full reset appeals to me because it allows people to race the content, bring new players in with out them getting discouraged, and essentially play it out like you would a game of rust (I know a MOBA was used as example but I think Rust would be more fitting).  This is my initial reaction to the game and definitely open to change over time, but I personally can really see the benefits of a slightly sped up skill tree with full resets per campaign.  I hate to keep using Rust as an example (and I'm about to speak about original rust not the new version), but when someone in the game got a new recipe, or was the only one with say Body armor in the game, his name was known, he was hunted for his gear or feared and you stayed away from them.  Regardless though I feel like that could directly translate into Crowfall, everyone is in the stone ages with the common/basic gear tools, and then finally someone progresses into using decent green gear, then blue/purp etc.  At this point I'm assuming when I'm getting cleaved down by the masses it's usually purple/legendary gear slapping me around.  I'm not saying that's a problem for everyone, just that it fits that more traditional mold I'm talking about.  With the full resets, people can feel like they have more of an even footing with these larger more veteran guilds, learn from the season, get better, and then come back next season stronger with a new strategy or group to try it out.  

You spoke about how it took two springs worth of gathering to get the resources needed to make your gear, it does seem though at the current rate you can get a couple blues and usually one purple off a r10 node, pretty consistently.  At this rate the limiting factor doesn't seem like gathering, but more so the skill of actually crafting the items.  I'm saying over the course of a campaign give the players enough points to work with these materials, have one campaign where someone decides to go Command and help everyone, have your specific gathers and your crafters.  That way you can play different roles each campaign.  This rant is becoming kind of long and unruly, but it's just my thought process on it at this point.  Appreciate the comments back though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yekim said:

I respect the opinions given on it and appreciate a well thought out response to what I said, so thank you.  I do think we have different mindsets on how we want to see the game played out and I also think that's completely fine.  Your way plays out more like a traditional MMO, you level up, you get stronger, etc.  I guess I was hoping with the campaigns to break that mold a bit.  Campaigns with varying lengths, 2-4 weeks for example with a full reset appeals to me because it allows people to race the content, bring new players in with out them getting discouraged, and essentially play it out like you would a game of rust (I know a MOBA was used as example but I think Rust would be more fitting).  This is my initial reaction to the game and definitely open to change over time, but I personally can really see the benefits of a slightly sped up skill tree with full resets per campaign.  I hate to keep using Rust as an example (and I'm about to speak about original rust not the new version), but when someone in the game got a new recipe, or was the only one with say Body armor in the game, his name was known, he was hunted for his gear or feared and you stayed away from them.  Regardless though I feel like that could directly translate into Crowfall, everyone is in the stone ages with the common/basic gear tools, and then finally someone progresses into using decent green gear, then blue/purp etc.  At this point I'm assuming when I'm getting cleaved down by the masses it's usually purple/legendary gear slapping me around.  I'm not saying that's a problem for everyone, just that it fits that more traditional mold I'm talking about.  With the full resets, people can feel like they have more of an even footing with these larger more veteran guilds, learn from the season, get better, and then come back next season stronger with a new strategy or group to try it out.  

You spoke about how it took two springs worth of gathering to get the resources needed to make your gear, it does seem though at the current rate you can get a couple blues and usually one purple off a r10 node, pretty consistently.  At this rate the limiting factor doesn't seem like gathering, but more so the skill of actually crafting the items.  I'm saying over the course of a campaign give the players enough points to work with these materials, have one campaign where someone decides to go Command and help everyone, have your specific gathers and your crafters.  That way you can play different roles each campaign.  This rant is becoming kind of long and unruly, but it's just my thought process on it at this point.  Appreciate the comments back though.

There will be campaigns with varying rules such as no imports forcing players to start from scratch and full loot including equipped gear, we just dont have them yet. Ore is the easiest thing to gather for mats despite being the most required, ore drops more mats then say wood and leather which are absolute pains to farm without having the proper harvesting gear and training and are still really annoying to farm with all the bonuses you can get. Larger guilds do have people dedicated to the command tree but smaller guilds like mine dont have the luxury of boosting our current harvesters because we still need to get a harvester of every type before we can think of doing that


hoayaga2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Yekim said:

New campaigns should always be a full fresh restart, no old characters, no pulling things in from EK

Eventually, the plan is to run many Campaigns with different rulesets - would make sense to have at least one that was more friendly to new players and/or players that prefer a real fresh start approach. The active testing population isn't big enough (yet) to support multiple options. Occasionally there is a major new build with enough changes to warrant a full data wipe, so that situation is our fresh start for now 😉


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, miraluna said:

Eventually, the plan is to run many Campaigns with different rulesets - would make sense to have at least one that was more friendly to new players and/or players that prefer a real fresh start approach. The active testing population isn't big enough (yet) to support multiple options. Occasionally there is a major new build with enough changes to warrant a full data wipe, so that situation is our fresh start for now 😉

that better not be the passive skill wipe :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thought having campaigns like that actually sounds awesome and appeals to both sides which is really cool.  It makes me really hopeful, I can't wait to see what the game has in store when the game releases and the population gets bigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 6:12 AM, Yekim said:

The game while fun seems to have missed the mark on a few topics.

 

New campaigns should always be a full fresh restart, no old characters, no pulling things in from EK, no preserved skill trees.  This would give easier entrance to newer players to the game, they could hop in for these campaigns basically like a season in an ARPG.  The length of the campaign would have to be either extended slightly or skill point gain slightly tuned up, but starting fresh is key.  That way the game starts, and there's always a sense of progression.  Guilds could work out plans and have people assigned to different roles in the skill tree to maximize efficiency and force people to work together more.  

 

Then secondly, it seems like a lot of the large more serious players of the game all congregate to one faction in the game, I don't know exactly how to fix this, but this must be extremely infuriating from a Dev perspective.  We might as well be playing Minecraft if we don't want to fight.

 

Just my opinions, game seems amazing but with out those few changes I feel like it will really miss its mark.

You clearly didn't understand the mark, if you think it was ever intended to be a glorified MOBA or battleground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...