Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wasichu

Seige system needs overhaul

So I write this with background of sieges in DAOC, GW2, and ESO.

I got to attack about 4 forts with a group of people yesterday for the first time in this game and man what a let down. Found out you can only take keeps at certain set times which just seems illogical. I mean could you imagine a invading army in medieval times getting to a castle to take it over and go hey guys we have to wait 6 hours before we can attack. 

So the group I ran with charge in to first fort and I am like cool I will get to see what the catapults and ballista's look like. Nope we ran to a corner and basic attacked the wall as the healers healed. Wall bust open and we ran in and took keep 20 secs later. I'm sorry but this is not what I call fun, challenging, or good for the longevity of this game.

From the past MMO's I've played they became epic battles with catapults launching and battering rams ramming. Defenders shooting ballista's from up top archers firing, assassins stealth climbing the walls to take out archers etc. Then if ya got to the center of the keep you had to fight the keep lord to take the keep not just stand in a circle and flip. A stone mason ought to be able to make intermediate siege engines fairly simple and advanced engines do a lot more damage and durability. That way if their isn't an advanced stonemason around you can make say 3 intermediate catapults to equal the damage of an advanced one.

When a keep or fort is attacked the whole realm should be alerted so they can come and defend. If they defend well and hold off an attack then all in keep area should get a gold reward and maybe a rare food that gives a unique boost. Same goes for those who were on offence and take the keep. The keeps should be like a armored fortress and the only way to weaken the fortress is by taking the zones numerous scattered flags. Small camps weaken the hp of the walls and the towers weaken the guards ranking. Forts should remain doable by smaller groups of say 10 players. But know one should be able to just go melee down side of a wall to get in.

I too came here from a very long stint in Daoc so I know how you feel about this games siege system and yes it isn't anywhere near exciting than Daocs system, those 150vs150 sieges were great fun sometimes lasting hours of the keep switching hands left right and centre. Old frontier relic raids were great also, taking a week to prepare and trying to get as many guilds in on it....good times indeed! I just wish mmo's take the very good stuff from daoc and add it into their own game instead of going for the bland easy options.

Forts are known to need a rework and some tweaking.

Keep fights involve siege equipment, killing an objective (Tree of Life or Bane Tree), and NPC guards that are actually a serious problem. One of the issues with allowing anything to be capture at any time is that often many fights end up being uncontested, much like forts are today. It's far more efficient to avoid fighting and attack other objectives when you play "circle capping" games. Additionally there will be more variety than just faction campaigns including guild vs guild that will have many different factions, most successful modern games with these sort of mechanics have moved to vulnerability timers/windows to encourage major conflict versus finding ways to mitigate actual conflict.

lPoLZtm.png

The goal of a siege window is to prevent nightcapping, where the game becomes about who can populate their faction with the most off-peak time zone players. As someone with a background in GW2 you'd think this would bother you.

I played on one of the top servers at launch and it was pretty disheartening to win or lose based on our factions Asianic presence. What happened during NA didn't matter. What happened after they went to sleep did.

Siege windows fix this. It's not a perfect solution, but I'd argue its better than the alternative.

1 hour ago, Scree said:

Siege windows fix this. It's not a perfect solution, but I'd argue its better than the alternative.

As long as there are multiple campaigns in the future, with different varied siege windows so players outside of those windows can not be locked out of content I guess I can live with this solution. I just dislike timeframe gating content in general. I feel that its a design flaw that should be addressed in order to not have the issue in the first place. 

On 3/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, mystafyi said:

As long as there are multiple campaigns in the future, with different varied siege windows so players outside of those windows can not be locked out of content I guess I can live with this solution. I just dislike timeframe gating content in general. I feel that its a design flaw that should be addressed in order to not have the issue in the first place. 

I think the general idea is to time gate servers based on timezones they are associated with. Should be fairly easy for a non-standard play time player to pick the server that coincides with peak playtime.