Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Glitchhiker

Commander visibility

Could we please get some kind of obvious visual to easily find your own (or an enemies) commander in the heat of battle?

An idea of mine was to add the ability to wield an actual battle standard like a weapon. Maybe even with your guilds crest on it. Could be implemented as a major discipline or whatever. 

Am I already asking too much?

41 minutes ago, Glitchhiker said:

Could we please get some kind of obvious visual to easily find your own (or an enemies) commander in the heat of battle?

Was just thinking this the other day as well. GW2 did a great job with commander tags imo making it very easy to see and follow the commander in your group. Would like to see something similar implemented when guild support comes in, allowing guilds to designate commanders who can toggle commander tags visible to their groups/factions.

44 minutes ago, Glitchhiker said:

An idea of mine was to add the ability to wield an actual battle standard like a weapon. Maybe even with your guilds crest on it. Could be implemented as a major discipline or whatever. 

Am I already asking too much?

Why would why a commander want to reveal themselves?  Shouldn’t you as a player be forced to figure out who your enemies are instead of a mechanic doing it for you?

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png

2 minutes ago, Glitchhiker said:

I feel like something more "realistic" would fit better to crowfall than simply a blue taco floating above someones head.

Personally I’d just abuse the mechanic and throw the banner on some tank that’s hard to kill and let my leadership run unidentified. 

wiDfyPp.png

Obviously it would be a choice to wield a large ass banner with you and you have to be aware that it makes you a target, so it would be  advisable to set up your build and group composition appropriatly.

Edited by Glitchhiker

4 minutes ago, mandalore said:

Personally I’d just abuse the mechanic and throw the banner on some tank that’s hard to kill and let my leadership run unidentified. 

You can call it "abusing a mechanic". I would rather call it more depth to tactical gameplay... *shrug*

Just make it an icon above the head of whoever is flagged as commander. EZPZ. 

It shouldn't display to enemies, only to friendlies. It shouldn't be a physical thing your character holds. It should just be some identifying pixels above your head for clarity's sake. 

3 hours ago, mandalore said:

Why would why a commander want to reveal themselves?  Shouldn’t you as a player be forced to figure out who your enemies are instead of a mechanic doing it for you?

Because i'm the tankiest in my group, and i wanna bash in the skulls of my enemies with a giant banner that has a heart on it

On 3/17/2019 at 12:08 PM, Glitchhiker said:

Find the enemy group leader... To what end? The group leader isn't usually the one actually making the calls on Disc, just the one that's trained leaderships skills. Are you thinking killing the group leader should disband the group?

2 hours ago, VaMei said:

Find the enemy group leader... To what end? The group leader isn't usually the one actually making the calls on Disc, just the one that's trained leaderships skills. Are you thinking killing the group leader should disband the group?

Where did you even read "group leader"?

I rather enjoy the barely organized chaos of 5 person groups and no obvious leadership structure. Its like the bodyblocking allies. Prevents large scale organization from being too easy, requires people to use their noggins and leaves room for exploiting breaks in enemy organization.

I'll take the banner, but only if I can have my entire group dual wield them.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Just now, PopeUrban said:

I rather enjoy the barely organized chaos of 5 person groups and no obvious leadership structure. Its like the bodyblocking allies. Prevents large scale organization from being too easy, requires people to use their noggins and leaves room for exploiting breaks in enemy organization.

Truth. 

wiDfyPp.png

36 minutes ago, Glitchhiker said:

Where did you even read "group leader"?

On 3/17/2019 at 12:08 PM, Glitchhiker said:

I took 'commander' to mean group leader. If that's not what you meant, then I have no idea what you're suggesting.

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

Prevents large scale organization from being too easy, requires people to use their noggins and leaves room for exploiting breaks in enemy organization.

Valid point, but on the other hand it makes steamrolling "casuals" or beginners too easy for well organized groups. And considering how beginner-unfriendly this game already is, an addition in their favor might not be a bad idea. 

I also think "breaks in enemy organization" should be provoced or created by skillful gameplay and not just because you're up against a group of headless chickens.

i dont know about identifying the leadership trained person but a group function to follow your assigned group leader that is viewable by your group would be nice or atleast a way to put an icon on the called target:) In one game, not to be mentioned, there was a spell that created a purple column that let everyone know the target🤐

1 hour ago, Glitchhiker said:

Valid point, but on the other hand it makes steamrolling "casuals" or beginners too easy for well organized groups. And considering how beginner-unfriendly this game already is, an addition in their favor might not be a bad idea. 

I also think "breaks in enemy organization" should be provoced or created by skillful gameplay and not just because you're up against a group of headless chickens.

Well organized groups are going to steamroll casuals regardless.

You can't make an addition to ease organization for "casuals" that isn't a magnitude more effective for "hardcore" players.

If anything you're playing a zero sum game.

I'd say using literal vision blockers and maneuvering enemies in to a position in which they can't physically see their allies to cut them off is far more skillful gameplay than following a compass marker to the center of your allied blob.

I'd say a clever flank has a much longer time to live when people have to call directions on comms and read the field than when a UI marker starts moving in a different direction.

The scattering effect of siege munitions, tornados, etc, is virtually pointless when everyone can instantly reorient.

I could go on and on, but IMO the LACK of these things is far more interesting and skillful than their inclusion. GW2 WvW fights (and open world pve event zergs for that matter) are boring BECAUSE of commander syndrome.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

35 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I'd say using literal vision blockers and maneuvering enemies in to a position in which they can't physically see their allies to cut them off is far more skillful gameplay than following a compass marker to the center of your allied blob.

That would still be the case if we just get something like a battle standart and not a floaty UI.

38 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I'd say a clever flank has a much longer time to live when people have to call directions on comms and read the field than when a UI marker starts moving in a different direction.

Not sure how to intepret "longer time to live" in regards to a flank.

44 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

The scattering effect of siege munitions, tornados, etc, is virtually pointless when everyone can instantly reorient.

Not at all. Disorientation is a secondary effect on scatter skills imo. I see it primarly as a way to force player out of/into a favorable/unfavorable position.

48 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

I could go on and on, but IMO the LACK of these things is far more interesting and skillful than their inclusion. GW2 WvW fights (and open world pve event zergs for that matter) are boring BECAUSE of commander syndrome.

From my experience with these two games I feel the opposit way. That might be, because I see this problem mostly from the view of the commander, but I guess it also boils down to personal preference.