Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Noric

Tree fight = slide show

Todays bane tree was a complete slide show for me. As soon as it went down *Poof* my FPS shot back up. I lag a bit in large fights but trees... forget about it, I'm lucky if my CD timers update and I dont DC. I think its in part due to the mass debuff, buff, name, guild, faction and HP icons constantly moving around. 

Could really use a client-side option to limit the clutter. Ideally a short-cut that hides/shows selected items for large scale battles. Example - Hide non-grouped allies, faction/guild/name/buffs. Bonus points if I can select what buffs/debuffs are shown. Still hoping for a reverse HP bar too. Meaning no bar is shown at full HP, filling in as damage is done. Much easier to see a target low on HP (near full bar) vs finding a bar mostly black in a sea of red and blue. Guess the bar would need to be transparent for that to work or it would just be a mass of black bars. :P 

Posted (edited)

Hello!

Your suggestion to changing/customizing the HUD/UI is a good idea. I think everyone would like that.

However, I don't think that the HUD is what is causing the FPS drop. I am quite sure it is one of the following, or both.

1) The game is probably simulated on the servers. Our FPS is therefore linked to the FPS of the server. Due to many updates when many players are cluttered, especially near a Bane Tree, the server has to update values a lot, and the FPS drops.

2) It might also be that there is too many particles or other elements, and if the rendering pipeline isn't optimized the FPS will also drop.

I have some, but limited, knowledge in this area. I can only imagine that the FPS will get fixed by server/render optimizations and not HUD/UI changes.

Edited by Kaffe
clarification

Problem one is figuring out the source of your laggy experience. Usually it’s one of three (or a combination): 

1. Graphics Card struggling, this is where setting changes can help but is primarily a user problem. Optimizations for graphics usually come late in the development cycle just before release.

2. System strain, another primarily user issue, your machine just can’t handle the strain apart form your GPU, usually look at memory and CPU to determine if they are the bottleneck. Could be the clients fault either via memory leaks or poor use of resources.

3. Finally, server communication issues and this is entirely a development issue. This is currently the major problem for most right now, and the source of the zone caps. There is a major change to the character controller coming that should drastically improve performance.

Something to keep in mind with item 3 is that every game suffers from some communication limit for a single processing node. There will always be some cap where the number of active players in an area overwhelm the server, this is a general problem with MMOs. The goal is to push that cap high enough to rarely be a problem, or to design around it such that it’s rarely the optimal way to play. We’ll see how it all shakes out in time.

lPoLZtm.png

Just a short soundless clip of ~20 chaos vs an unknown number of balance. Think they had 50 in zone but no idea how many showed for this. Regardless this shows how much FPS lag the GUI is causing me in larger fights. Heck this was at most 70 people and not all packed into one spot. 

The 2nd time it has a large impact..... just can't see health or CDs :P 

2 hours ago, Noric said:

Just a short soundless clip of ~20 chaos vs an unknown number of balance. Think they had 50 in zone but no idea how many showed for this. Regardless this shows how much FPS lag the GUI is causing me in larger fights. Heck this was at most 70 people and not all packed into one spot. 

Oh wow! That's crazy. Always wanted a different GUI. This videos seems to suggest they need get on that asap (maybe part of 5.9 change).

4 hours ago, Noric said:

[removed video]

Hey man, thanks for the comparison!  Didn't know that it caused that much problems, it definitely needs to be changed or a temporary solution to disable some elements.

3 hours ago, Navystylz said:

Oh wow! That's crazy. Always wanted a different GUI. This videos seems to suggest they need get on that asap (maybe part of 5.9 change).

From other game large amount of nametages always cause a fk load of lag, juts having an option to remove enemy/ally name tags would substantial help lag imo

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, moneda said:

I don't think I've played an MMO with large battles in which this wasnt't the case.

I thought Darkfall did a really good job with UI and screen clutter even in large fights. DF essentially just had indicators above people's heads (similar to the crests that Crowfall has) but didn't have any HP bars or names above everyone's head. That information was given when you put your crosshair over someone and you got a pop up HUD. 

I typically turned off the indicators over everyone's heads except for group mates and guild mates. That way I knew if someone didn't have an indicator they were enemy. Anyone with an indicator was friendly. 

Example below (big fight starts around 12:43). 

Edited by blazzen