Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jjusticar

DoT effects and dmg scaling

After doing some testing on a few different DoT effects (severe poison, severe corruption, and severe bleeding), I noticed there is super low dmg scaling on all of the DoT's. For example, raising my weapon damage by 21 points of damage resulted in a less than .5 DPS increase per point on all 3 of the severe DoT effects, with severe bleeding being the highest at around .47 DPS per weapon dmg point and corruption being the lowest  at .33 DPS per point of weapon damage. 

I have to assume that the scaling does not increase as you get to higher weapon damage breakpoints. So, assuming it does and you have say a 160 damage weapon you are gaining roughly less than 40 DPS on the highest scaling DoT effect going from a entry-level white weapon to that 160 dmg epic or whatever. That's pretty inconsequential, especially within group fights, when people have the amount of self-sustain they currently do. 

While DoT effects do have stats they can scale with (penetration, dmg bonus, AP I assume, and weapon dmg)...other damage abilities gain way more late-game damage scaling between those same respective stats on top of crit damage and crit chance. And remember, jewelry does not give bonuses to DoT effects but does to crit hit chance, crit hit dmg and basic attack damage.  And even though they have these stats, they are scaling at a lower ratio than flat damage abilities. On top of this, it's infinitely easier to counter and sustain through the DPS of a DoT effect compared to a flat damage ability that may have the same DPS but gets applied in one damage instance.

My question is this: should DoT's have some sort late-game scaling mechanic or even any mechanic similar to crit hit chance/dmg? or should DoT effects fall off as character get better gear and better stats (mainly crit hit/dmg)? Should DoT effects be a secondary bonus or damage source within the game or should you be able to build around DoT effects and still be rewarded with the same or similar power curve as flat damage ability builds?

Let me know what you think.

i think DoT +% should be way higher, im talking 200-300% DoT buffs on armor, make a dot build viable at the expense of health or armor or basic hit damage 

hoayaga2.jpg

I think DoTs could use a slight buff. I've been trying to make a build work for a while, but I think it may require a specific class/disc combo, not something just everyone can take, which is a shame. I would like to see more DoT effects on discs.
Some, like the DoT from Poisoner, could use a hella big buff, as it only does about <10 per tick (though it can stack 3 times).
Plague Lord diseases feel okay, at about 70 or 80 they tick for, would like to see a slight buff, however, I'd understand leaving them as is due to the added effects they have (knockdowns etc).
Severe bleeds feel pretty good, however it's far from the power they once had.

I have seen DoT stacks tick for a buttload of damage though, (on me personally) so maybe they're actually fine. I'm not sure.

231e101d88.jpg

DoT effects are affected by Crit Chance and Crit Damage stats.
The Damage roll is done as the attack is applied and then spread out over the various ticks as far as I know.
The Bleed DoT damage is an attempt at making DoTs more worthwhile...but falls short (likely because of the nerf sledgehammer applied on the bugged Bleed Armor)
This Bonus should likely be stronger, and apply to all types of DoT effects, not just Bleeds. (I'm looking at you Badge of Zaleena)

ScornofLife2.jpg

7 hours ago, Scorn said:

DoT effects are affected by Crit Chance and Crit Damage stats.
The Damage roll is done as the attack is applied and then spread out over the various ticks as far as I know.

If this is correct, there is no way it is being applied correctly. I've tested over 100 instances of damage and between my highest damage total and my lowest damage total there is a difference of approximately 400 damage over the duration of, in this case, the corruption DoT. Assuming my lowest damage instance crits (so the lowest possible damage that can be done with a crit) that DoT would be doing over 440 extra damage above my highest recorded damage instance. So basically, if any of my DoT instances crit they should be a pretty substantial outlier in my data, of which I have none. Is it possible I just never crit on any of my DoT applications, possibly, but with 10% crit chance I find it unlikely. I'll do some more testing today. 

9 hours ago, Groovin said:

I think DoTs could use a slight buff. I've been trying to make a build work for a while, but I think it may require a specific class/disc combo, not something just everyone can take, which is a shame. I would like to see more DoT effects on discs.
Some, like the DoT from Poisoner, could use a hella big buff, as it only does about <10 per tick (though it can stack 3 times).
Plague Lord diseases feel okay, at about 70 or 80 they tick for, would like to see a slight buff, however, I'd understand leaving them as is due to the added effects they have (knockdowns etc).
Severe bleeds feel pretty good, however it's far from the power they once had.

I've been in the same boat, exploring DoT builds (love that playstyle). I'd definitely like to see more DoT effects on disciplines in the future with some more interesting gameplay decisions and styles. Poisoner is pretty meh for sure, the actual base damage of the ability hits are pretty decent and slow demise has pretty solid weapon dmg scaling on it which imo is kind of carrying the disc to a spot of bottom tier viability. 

I can't imagine incresing the damage on plague lord diseases simply because I think they are just secondary thoughts and the actual effects of those abilities are really strong as is.