Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HippoShark

Ranger thoughts

Was pretty good all round, this build makes the game play a lot like EQ2.  I don't feel overly drawn into the world or the combat yet so hopefully that changes.  The ranger is pretty fun, combat at this point feels pretty buggy still at range.  I would frequently shoot a mob that wouldn't take damage when the crosshairs were highlighted and found that I needed to be really close to consistently hit a target.  Also ranged combat was very over powered with the AI in its current state.  With very minor kiting things dropped easily.  Using the ranger ability rapid fire seemed worse than just using a well charged shot because maybe the accuracy seemed low and that might have been the problem.  Crafting is much improved in this build, I finally feel like I could get a few things more than just the most basic gear and it was pretty satisfying to wear something different.

Do yourself a favor and download the TEST build as well. The new creature AI is pretty awesome and it actually provides a good challenge for ranged characters. 

I favor using Rapid Shot when something is low life as a fully charged shot would take more time then just spamming that for a few seconds. A lot of other players are saying that is is one of the better Ranger abilities. But Ranger is in a very weak spot right now. I play with the Archer skill tree which is apparently in an even weaker spot. I would expect updates to the class. Some updates have already been added in the TEST build which fix some of the issues providing for a little bit more of a fluid style for the Ranger, at least, in my experience.

As far as accuracy goes, I have not had a problem with it so far. I would try tweaking some game settings. I usually fire from the Range Cap and hit consistently against moving targets.

5 hours ago, Dawnstrider said:

Do yourself a favor and download the TEST build as well. The new creature AI is pretty awesome and it actually provides a good challenge for ranged characters. 

More like headache. You're literally constantly interrupted by endless CC abilities while attempting to charge LMB when fighting warbands. 

8 hours ago, Navystylz said:

More like headache. You're literally constantly interrupted by endless CC abilities while attempting to charge LMB when fighting warbands. 

I noticed a lot of people having that same problem too. It is difficult but I did appreciate the challenge as I have been slogging away arrows at mobs in the live build for awhile.

I'm hoping that before it is finalized ArtCraft will put cds on their abilities so it is not so bad. I was shooting from the range cap and was still watching the Urgu fly at me like the monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. The main issue I faced was with R8's through 10. They seem to do enough damage to counter most strategies by a solo player in normal quality advanced gear. So it is especially difficult to pick them off even one by one.