Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
oneply

Knight Swordsman

The swordsman promo of the knight class needs a slight rework imo. the majority of the skills are based on crushing damage not slashing. Without discs the majority of the slashing damage comes from the basic attack and onslaught string. I think it would make more sense to replace a shield move with a sword one. Or even make it so shield swipe does slashing instead of crushing.  Could also replace shield bash with a swipe, slashing dmg and a bleed(replacing the daze/dodge de buff)  

Personally not so convinced swordsman is the better dps spec. Maceman lasts longer, has a more controllable buff proc, and the crushing bonus effects every single mace/shield skill. 

Blade Master is pretty much required as a Swordsman, but the damage is good with good gear.

Macemanship only gives you 15% damage for 6 seconds. Swordmanship increases base attack damage by 50% for 10 seconds. Yes, you have control over when Macemanship procs, but when you add in the extra 225 AP and extra crit chance, I'd bet that Swordman comes out on top pretty easily.

On a target dummy or one on one maybe. And only with the right discs  

In a team fight when is the knights role ever just dps? It is literally a pointless role for knight to fill. They’re generally used as CC and target pullers. In that role maceman will out do the swordsman. And with the amount of stubs and knockdowns in the base kit, keeping skullcrusher up near constantly shouldn’t be difficult. 

@soulein and @KanashiGD are the only two swordsman knight players I know.  They might have more insight. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

@oneply

I've run and tested both sword and mace builds. I conducted dummy tests and open field combat tests. I've consistently outperformed mace with a sword each time. The only time I felt mace benefited more was in a small scale fight of 5 v 5 or some 1 v 1 situations.

Mace numbers feel high but seem to come out slower and are less consistent. Swordsman gets much higher AP and benefits more from crit damage. Both can be built to AoE but swordsman still pumps out harder hitting numbers in most cases.

Swordsman Knights are enablers and sustain damage. They are meant to open up opportunities for others to seal the deal and to create positional advantages. I rather like this design, but I feel like the class needs to be polished considerably.

Game Designer | KanashiGD.com | @KanashiGD

Elf of Hy'shen Avari

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, mandalore said:

@soulein and @KanashiGD are the only two swordsman knight players I know.  They might have more insight. 

Totally forgotten about!!!

But, yea... in reading this, you're focused on the wrong stats! Swordsman knight is a very interesting class with great output if played right, halfway decent survivability  and excellent group synergy with a spec team. Notice the near lack of CD on Onslaught and that rotation, with a knockdown, a stun in your kit, and omg... the biggest hint into what your role is... a dodge pip removal on 3rd slash! You keep people near you, close to the team, and lay out constant pain while rolling the CC. There is some of those "sweet spot" builds where you melt people at your feet, but I won't spoil all the fun here!

*Edit - I mean... chain pull... COME ON!!!!

Edited by Allinavi

Yeah also completely forgotten about!

I tested every spec on two different races and have decided that I"ll take Sword every time. There is sufficient CC, survival, and displacement in the base kit. Pursuit on a 6 second cooldown and cit on shout helps the damage output a bunch. I also kicked blademaster out and turned it into force mage. Thats a damage button, barrier proc, and AE pushback. Add in a centaur racial that grants you armor break and displaces everyone you touch with it and you have a nice platform for some deceptive burst damage. Throw that on a high con green vessel and you're proccing a 1200 HP barrier every 23 seconds on shout and another one whenever you hit stuff (Which we all love to do). With the mobility from centaur + Swordsman you'll also have the option to run block without always being left behind in the open field fights. 

It's win win win for this guy.

As for your role in combat it's very flexible. Peeling, pulling, displacing enemy back lines with charge + force mage, running down stragglers, getting right in the mix and turtling up  (Blocking with a barrier up is rediculous, no damage taken).

Secondary disc is elementalist (of course) for siege and illusionist open field (which is nice because we already proc the slow on 3rdMB

In 5.9, the Swordsman passive has been changed to only give +20 to basic attack damage cap instead of +50. It is still giving +50 to basic attack damage, so your damage with it will be the same, but the cap only goes up to 50 now (starts at 30 and you get 20 from the passive), so stacking basic attack damage from other sources (Sparring, Amulets) won't help unless you can raise the basic attack damage cap in some other way.