Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

When, How, What - Official discussion thread

A "noob island" for Crowfall is probably a good idea.

I see that it is planned that it will only offer whites, I've heard people say that there are Rank 6 resources on the version of God's Reach on test. Hopefully this gets fixed. High quality resources should not be available on God's Reach.

This world won’t amass points, it will be limited in resource quality (to white)

IhhQKY6.gif

The new war tribe mobs will be a much better tool for teaching new players how to play then a) fighting the current dumb mobs or b) fighting veteran players. Since they use existing classes and abilities that players use, the discerning noob will get a glimpse of combos and attacks that they will need to learn how to counter or deal with. A good step forward in my opinion.

I’m confused but willing to hold criticism till the live stream.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)

Restrict imports. This prevents people from ganking newbs with overgeared toons, and using that for the main trading spots instead of eks/real campaigns. 

Edited by Marth

Posted (edited)

While I hope this reduces some of the "new player logs in, gets smashed repeatedly, logs out forever" behavior, I don't think it addresses the core problems in the pre-alpha environment.  

You need to be testing entirely different sets of win conditions.  Lots of them.

One of Crowfall's biggest problems is that losing isn't nearly as much fun as winning.  Only a small portion of the population is going to be on the winning side (especially once we move from 3-faction to 12-faction and guild-v-guild rulesets).  Losing has to be almost as much fun as winning, or your user base will dwindle fast.   In a buy-once, play-forever business model, maybe that's good for you, to a point.  People buy the game, play for a couple of months, and move on... you get their money and they don't use your server or bandwidth resources for long.  But I give it a year after a strong launch for the population to become unsustainably small if the current environment persists.

You're adding a lot of good stuff.  The new character controller sounds promising, warbands are a nice addition, moving disciplines out into the world is a good start (provided minors drop like rain or can also be crafted by runecrafters), the armor changes sound like you're paying attention to some of our concerns.   But for many of us, the game still isn't fun.  There are moments of great fun, but they're overwhelmed by a)tedium and b)craptastic large scale battles.

I continue to test, because there are flashes of real promise (small group combat is where you excel), but almost all my friends and guildmates have moved on, and their absence makes the game even less fun for the few of us who remain.  Please do what you can to work on player retention - it's good for the test now, and it'll be good for the game in release.

Edited by Durenthal

If the purpose of God's Reach is for noobs, what will prevent vets from griefing the noobs?

Will there be player vendors? If the campaign is permanent, what is to keep the vendors from being locked down immediately and held permanently?

I think the two goals of a "noob island" and a place for "anyone to go between campaigns" will conflict.

IhhQKY6.gif

I saw a map that someone has posted for God’s Reach with multiple free cities. Since the article said that it’s going to serve as the staging area that’s gonna be on between campaigns are the vendors there also gonna be first come first serve. whoever logs  in first when gods reach comes out gonna have those spots till a wipe or whenever they decide they don’t want it anymore?

29 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Explain to me again why we can't have white resources in EKs

The main thing I think is that even with safe training zones containing white resources there is still competition over them and a finite amount of them. 

If they were in EK's you could have a private EK with no competition and as many EK's as you are willing to buy accounts for. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, blazzen said:

The main thing I think is that even with safe training zones containing white resources there is still competition over them and a finite amount of them. 

If they were in EK's you could have a private EK with no competition and as many EK's as you are willing to buy accounts for. 

"competition" in a no pvp zone?

They also could have multiple noob campagins going at the same time too.

Edited by Marth

1 minute ago, srathor said:

Ace's version of an EK. Only better than ours, because they have all the tools.

Ahh well the dream was fun while it lasted.  

I don’t think that’s accurate nor do I get why only the people who have thousands of dollars invested into their EK’s want elaborate EK’s. 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)

@jtoddcoleman is there enough of an active player base to have two 9 zone CW’s, EK’s, and Gods Reach?  

Outside of sieges the CW’s feel dead. 

Edited by mandalore

wiDfyPp.png

23 minutes ago, blazzen said:

Okay that's an interesting point, but I have a counter argument:

I don't care about the scarcity of white materials and neither does this game.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"