Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

When, How, What - Official discussion thread

Posted (edited)

is god's reach shared between EU and NA - or seperate server location versions? whats the 'maximum player caps' of these places and how is that going to be divided up? how does faction choice work, if at all, and is it possible to change?

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marth said:

"competition" in a no pvp zone?

They also could have multiple noob campagins going at the same time too.

Yes, competition from other noobs that you can’t kill but will otherwise compete for nodes which wouldn’t be an issue in a private EK.

23 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Okay that's an interesting point, but I have a counter argument:

I don't care about the scarcity of white materials and neither does this game.

Fair enough and I don’t necessarily disagree. Just pointing out the main argument against doing it. 

Edited by blazzen

1 hour ago, Aryie said:

I saw a map that someone has posted for God’s Reach with multiple free cities. Since the article said that it’s going to serve as the staging area that’s gonna be on between campaigns are the vendors there also gonna be first come first serve. whoever logs  in first when gods reach comes out gonna have those spots till a wipe or whenever they decide they don’t want it anymore?

The “free city” label on the map is an error (there aren’t 4 FC zones)

1 hour ago, Durenthal said:

While I hope this reduces some of the "new player logs in, gets smashed repeatedly, logs out forever" behavior, I don't think it addresses the core problems in the pre-alpha environment.  

You need to be testing entirely different sets of win conditions.  Lots of them.

One of Crowfall's biggest problems is that losing isn't nearly as much fun as winning.  Only a small portion of the population is going to be on the winning side (especially once we move from 3-faction to 12-faction and guild-v-guild rulesets).  Losing has to be almost as much fun as winning, or your user base will dwindle fast.   In a buy-once, play-forever business model, maybe that's good for you, to a point.  People buy the game, play for a couple of months, and move on... you get their money and they don't use your server or bandwidth resources for long.  But I give it a year after a strong launch for the population to become unsustainably small if the current environment persists.

You're adding a lot of good stuff.  The new character controller sounds promising, warbands are a nice addition, moving disciplines out into the world is a good start (provided minors drop like rain or can also be crafted by runecrafters), the armor changes sound like you're paying attention to some of our concerns.   But for many of us, the game still isn't fun.  There are moments of great fun, but they're overwhelmed by a)tedium and b)craptastic large scale battles.

I continue to test, because there are flashes of real promise (small group combat is where you excel), but almost all my friends and guildmates have moved on, and their absence makes the game even less fun for the few of us who remain.  Please do what you can to work on player retention - it's good for the test now, and it'll be good for the game in release.

Each Trial we are putting up has different rules as we add new functionality to our internal tracking and the Leaderboard. I know they only come every 2 weeks but we are trying to get as many new win variants in as we can.

We understand most people don't have patience for testing games in this phase of development. As we get closer and closer to alpha, more content will be fleshed out, and the worlds start to feel alive. Folks should find more things to have fun with. (I'm having lots of fun making the new limited use recipes/belt accessory/mount loot items for y'all!)

2 hours ago, Jah said:

A "noob island" for Crowfall is probably a good idea.

I see that it is planned that it will only offer whites, I've heard people say that there are Rank 6 resources on the version of God's Reach on test. Hopefully this gets fixed. High quality resources should not be available on God's Reach.

Right now all the content on a parcel is linked to the rank of the parcel. So this is a side effect of us wanting folks to be able to get to r6 npc's. In the future we will have alternate TT's and the ability to not have the NPCs be linked to the parcel rank.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, coolster50 said:

> thousands of dollars invested in EKs

>want elaborate EKs

uhh.... I think I can see why....

That reasonable though. Who would invest thousands of dollars into eks and not want it done well. Up to the devs to decide what path to take their game tho.

Edited by Marth

1 hour ago, Muta said:

I’d be down for some good old fashion HUNGERDOME action in between campaigns 

Honestly bringing that back as an area with siege perilous wouldn't be bad.

Having a fun, balanced pvp instance would draw almost all pvp away from open world. I really wish they would have a Solo and group queueable system setup where when a fort or outpost alert goes out people that are set up in que would get a pop up to be teleported to defend Maybe limit it to maps or something, but some way to get people together with at least semi balanced numbers.

It would take a bunch of work, and some creative hand waving (structure that can be built/destroyed that summons the defenders in while the attackers outnumber the defenders. Others would have to come running.  Or when defenders outnumber attackers by some margin the qued attackers can warp in with an attacker placed destroyable structure outside.  Quickly spireling people into a giant fight but still semi controlled and balanced. 

Need to work on the idea more of course but it is still pre alpha!

I’m against anything that summons/teleports/moves you.  Territory control is a fallacy if it moves you there automatically. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, srathor said:

Having a fun, balanced pvp instance would draw almost all pvp away from open world.

No it wouldn't. Most people who are here to PvP are here because they enjoy Open World PvP. It's not like I can't just fire up Overwatch if I want my instance PvP fix. 

If instanced PvP existed I would simply use it to hone my character control skills in more evenly matched fights. I'd hone those skills for Open World PvP,  which is the main attraction.

People are already setting up duels and team fights in EKs. Something more formal seems fine to me.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I like the idea of a zone to figure the game out.   I hope this game will be one where pvp is against players whom are looking for fights and less about groups of people who are going around and ganking harvesters who are trying to make there intermediate armor.

Still would be playing Eve, if I wanted to be ganking harvesters all the time.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Andius said:

No it wouldn't. Most people who are here to PvP are here because they enjoy Open World PvP. It's not like I can't just fire up Overwatch if I want my instance PvP fix. 

If instanced PvP existed I would simply use it to hone my character control skills in more evenly matched fights. I'd hone those skills for Open World PvP,  which is the main attraction.

People are already setting up duels and team fights in EKs. Something more formal seems fine to me.

Nope, no, negative, not today satan.  PvP in this game is a means to winning and controlling the map, not just flexing on people.  A formal q system for duels and instanced pvp would destroy world pvp, Srathor is right. 

Edited by mandalore

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

4 hours ago, Devonic said:

I like the idea of a zone to figure the game out.   I hope this game will be one where pvp is against players whom are looking for fights and less about groups of people who are going around and ganking harvesters who are trying to make there intermediate armor.

Still would be playing Eve, if I wanted to be ganking harvesters all the time.

The entire reason harvesting exists is to encourage people to gank harvesters.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)

I would be considered one of these new players to the game. I followed the project since Kickstarter but only recently bought in this year. So maybe this is a good place to put this. 

I did not find this game to be that daunting to a mmorpg veteran. The starting zone and temple as is are enough for new players to get a feel for a class they like and how it works. I can’t speak for balance or order, but the players and guilds in chaos are friendly to new players and actively trying to recruit and gear them. I suspect from interactions with the opposing players it’s the same there too. 

But here is the problem I suspect. Too many players these days want to play solo. This game is not a solo friendly game, and that’s one of the best parts about it. It’s one of those things that has been missing from the genre for some years. And maybe this isn’t clear enough in your presentation of the game. If you try to satisfy everyone you will disappoint everyone. Your core testing group clearly loves the teamwork aspect of the game. Please do not cater to the lone gun wannabe. 

An additional thought is to put a control mechanism in place for faction population. Order on NA is so under populated I could see a new player feeling lonely if they’re not on at the right times. The simple solution is reduce it to 2 factions until you get a higher testing population. The more complex is to limit population based on %. With guilds this is complex but I think solutions could be hashed out and maybe more appropriate with a larger population as well. 

Also when raid groups?

Edited by oneply

my personal feelings are atm...

i got addicted to crowcain about 8 months ago with a bit later incoming "call the banners". Since then i felt a mix of there is not enough happening to freaking awesome new stuff and performance increase. of course there were several times i had to remember myself of the pre-alpha status and not getting too high expectations or predicatability of things "get off that damn hypetrain!". then there was that "first sanctioned campaign" thing. good decision there to wait with it, but again people were pushed and friends looked into the game to get dissapointed. i guess today no one would answer any call of me anymore. well maybe also a false expectations thing. but i also heared a lot of calls for more numbers, that is a bit tricky. and now comes in a chillout-area between campaigns... you know addicted mmoplayers, what do they do if there is a time of no content to fight for? ou, look, they released xyz... thats the bad mood words...

awesome to have that gods reach now, new players can jump in and expierence the gamecycle.

... back to the mood...

okay, so maybe something interesting will happen on test.

if not, may i ask...

1. why didnt you make 1 siegezone NA & 1 siegezone EU timers?
  2. was it a good idea to make that pvezones accessable to other factions so a dude from other faction can just wait until i killed sth and loot it?
  3. shouldn´t there be only common stuff?

in my opinion most of it predictable issues.

so time to slow down, pretty sure crowcain will work again soon!

God Reach...

A place for the new - all for it.

Just not very friendly for EU players whom to part take in the siege will have to be online at 2 am.
If not for the 500+ ping we have as well, making the game unplayable, then we might even be able to sit around and just look at the camp fire.  There is literally nothing to do.

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Surelia said:

my personal feelings are atm...

i got addicted to crowcain about 8 months ago with a bit later incoming "call the banners". Since then i felt a mix of there is not enough happening to freaking awesome new stuff and performance increase. of course there were several times i had to remember myself of the pre-alpha status and not getting too high expectations or predicatability of things "get off that damn hypetrain!". then there was that "first sanctioned campaign" thing. good decision there to wait with it, but again people were pushed and friends looked into the game to get dissapointed. i guess today no one would answer any call of me anymore. well maybe also a false expectations thing. but i also heared a lot of calls for more numbers, that is a bit tricky. and now comes in a chillout-area between campaigns... you know addicted mmoplayers, what do they do if there is a time of no content to fight for? ou, look, they released xyz... thats the bad mood words...

awesome to have that gods reach now, new players can jump in and expierence the gamecycle.

... back to the mood...

okay, so maybe something interesting will happen on test.

if not, may i ask...

1. why didnt you make 1 siegezone NA & 1 siegezone EU timers?
  2. was it a good idea to make that pvezones accessable to other factions so a dude from other faction can just wait until i killed sth and loot it?
  3. shouldn´t there be only common stuff?

in my opinion most of it predictable issues.

so time to slow down, pretty sure crowcain will work again soon!

Edited by mandalore
Touchy subject, removed of my own accord

wiDfyPp.png

11 hours ago, Surelia said:

why didnt you make 1 siegezone NA & 1 siegezone EU timers?

Good suggestion (if it's possible to have different timers), could even add a third siege zone for it.

8 hours ago, Soulreaver said:

If not for the 500+ ping we have as well

I'm west coast NA and usually get 220-250 ping to the EU server, so that must vary alot by location?

tiPrpwh.png

7 hours ago, Surelia said:

I don’t want to bring it to a personal level. So that is your opinion and I keep mine. Thanks.

O I wasn’t trying to belittle or attack you man and if that’s how that came off I apologize.  I get that I’m an asshat sometimes and I’m personally driven by conflict.  Sorry. 

wiDfyPp.png

6 hours ago, miraluna said:

Good suggestion (if it's possible to have different timers), could even add a third siege zone for it.

I'm west coast NA and usually get 220-250 ping to the EU server, so that must vary alot by location?

I live in central North Dakota and my ping on the EU is around that too. 

wiDfyPp.png