Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

Alpha Access : Maximum Price?

164 members have voted

1. 1. What is the maximum price that you would pay to join the alpha?

• 500$ or more
    • 400$
    • 300$
    • 200$
    • 75$
    • 50$
    • 25$
    • 0$
    • I don't know

If the game is going to cost $50, a greater price for nothing but access is gouging. The could couple it with other products and stuff, but early access isn't a respectable product by itself.

ACE will get many more early backers by keeping the Kickstarter contributions low per backer.

Higher numbers of backers will draw more investors, because it demonstrates a larger player-base for the game.

ACE is going to have to share some equity to fund Crowfall, and a public stock offering keeps those investors "silent partners".

What none of us want is a small number of investors telling ACE developers how to run the game.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

There is a demand for good games, and consumers should be sold rational products, trying to isolate gouging to necessities doesn't change the fact that trying to engage a whale hunting method doesn't result in more money or a successful game. It's the equivalent of liquidating assets, and like Archeage, a disrespectful sales practice is enough to ruin a game all by itself.

You may think your commitment will prop up the game, but the use of bad sales practices will seal the fate of the game along with every single game ever which has resorted to extorting player desperation.

There is a steady industry of MMOs promising new game experiences and gouging early adopters for exorbitant prices, all ultimately cashing in on a few whales but failing to get the proper healthy consumer following to deliver a quality game. Even the smell of such practices will send huge consumer bases fleeing from the stench of exploit development, even if the product was being developed properly.

It's a recipe for failure. Asking players to invest in a direct to consumer product is already risque enough, they need to focus on the number of consumers hey can amass, not the figure they can get out of a few people.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

There is a demand for good games, and consumers should be sold rational products, trying to isolate gouging to necessities doesn't change the fact that trying to engage a whale hunting method doesn't result in more money or a successful game. It's the equivalent of liquidating assets, and like Archeage, a disrespectful sales practice is enough to ruin a game all by itself.

You may think your commitment will prop up the game, but the use of bad sales practices will seal the fate of the game along with every single game ever which has resorted to extorting player desperation.

There is a steady industry of MMOs promising new game experiences and gouging early adopters for exorbitant prices, all ultimately cashing in on a few whales but failing to get the proper healthy consumer following to deliver a quality game. Even the smell of such practices will send huge consumer bases fleeing from the stench of exploit development, even if the product was being developed properly.

It's a recipe for failure. Asking players to invest in a direct to consumer product is already risque enough, they need to focus on the number of consumers hey can amass, not the figure they can get out of a few people.

I've never seen any of the gamers I know drop a game they were hyped about because they had to deal with the terrible persecution of starting in Beta instead of Alpha.  Beta should be affordable(it's usually more about stress testing, getting the word out, and testing general response)- But alpha is meant to be small so it's kept exclusive.  And the best way to keep it exclusive in a crowdfunding scheme is to price it at a level most players won't fork out(and pull some extra revenue in the process).  

We're talking about a single early adopter reward that explicitly benefits from a  pricing scheme that keeps the number of people gaining access small.  Deciding the entire game pricing scheme is built around "whale hunting" on that alone is ludicrous and reeks to over-entitlement to me.    If beta prices were too high for most players I'd agree we have a problem, but people need to get it through their heads that they aren't entitled to all the best stuff at the price they personally find reasonable- intrinsic prices don't exist, something is worth exactly what people are willing to pay for it.

The funny thing is I don't even really have a direct stake in this argument- I generally only go for Beta access myself(I'd like the game to be something nearing complete before I make my first impressions and honestly don't have the time to commit myself to the testing an alpha tester should be doing).  I'm only playing devils advocate because I'm utterly sick of the self righteous entitlement that has become a mainstay of modern gaming.  It's not easy to actually finish a game off crowd funding, the hooks and early access rewards are a necessary means to that end. 

Edited by bilun

Alpha is meant for effective testing of unfinished work, not sales to an insignificant amount of players who won't raise a meaningful amount of money no matter how much their individually paying. Proper financing isn't made by getting a very few people to donate a slightly larger amount, if they wanted big isolated investments they'd go for big time private investors and loans, selling content to players is effectively done by growing a large consumer base.

They may ask for greater amounts than $50 with several months of subscription or some other bulk package in order to get the game funded, but they shouldn't because it's not going to make good marketing sense, it's going to hurt their image if they go too high, and that's worth way more than a couple thousand dollars. Their image is what their selling for the next 1 to 3 years, if they screw that up, GG.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

its a thin line, enough to dissuade too many people jumping in and maxing servers, but not too much to cut out everyone, the alternative is a First Come First Served to position, as the alpha/beta expands then tiers unlocked akin to the beta groups

So the highest number of votes so far go to the 100$ option as maximum pledge for alpha. Interesting to see also the 8x 500$. I can't wait to see how it will work tomorrow! :)  

Well, if Alpha access is 100, they can forget my money. If I get the game once its released and alpha / priority beta access for 50, I could consider it an extremely early pre-order and purchase it. I'm quite sure I ain't the only one.

Selfish me voted for 50 dollar because that is all I can afford to miss at the moment plus it gives more people with a limited budget an opportunity.

Realistically speaking; I think it is going to be 100 dollar or above! 

Self diagnosed recovering mmo addict

I was nearly right.

Cheapest Alpha 3 is 100 bucks. Probably around winter (end of january), when Alpha 1 is late summer (september?).

Alpha 2 is 175 Bucks. Probably between Alpha 1 and 3~

Where Beta 1 ... is next year at this time or march?

I am just guessing here.

But jeah.

As long as there's not a miracle happening, i wont be in on late summer.

500 Bucks sounds to much for me.

..but the 250 Amber version... is googling my wallet.

6 years vip ... i won't get an early bird tier. As i don't have a CC. But nevermind.

Physical CE. <guessmate around 100 Bucks

6 Years VIP < if it's about 10 Bucks per month, thats ... 720 Bucks

+some convienence

Even if i won't know if it can hold my attention for 6 years. In the end paying 150 Bucks for some cash shop "non-pay-to-win" stuff + years of VIP, that would cost that much just for ONE year most likely. You got me ... damm .. my poor wallet.

So disappointed. Want to contribute to the Kickstarter but they do not accept PayPal. Is there another way to contribute and still get the beta benefits?

Boredom is a choice  ;)