Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
seastodd

A little constructive criticism

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Ok first the good stuff... I really think you guys are great, you are making a very unique fun game that I have already enjoyed, playing for hours... well worth the hundred dollars I spent three years ago...

OK so why is no one playing your game? 50 people logged on at 530 est.. that is horrid... like really horrid... 5 people  on EU really if I was new euro player I would be screaming refund how am I supposed to play a pvp based game with 5 people logged on?

So whats the problem... great game no players.. It is because your communication with your player base sucks ass!

I could handle gods realm coming up,, it annoyed me we had no campaign for those days as I have all 30's really but I understood the need for it and  the need to test it.. what really annoyed me though was your communication.. It took you like a day just to tell people there would not be a campaign really poor imo

AS I said I went with it though the tial of Kane was announced a nice three week campaign I could sink my teeth into with  vessels that will finally be competitive, so I spent 5 days farming dust and embers trying to top my gear off for the new campaign, only to have a no import campaign announced on a twitch stream in the middle of a workday... and it is only a week... your webpage still does not mention it is a no import campaign... I can write web pages and changing a line of text is really not that difficult or resource taxing..

So, I am done for the week, now the wipe looms which you people really have  not hinted at yet if you are not on test or watching those midday  streams you probably wont have a clue, so more people will be disappointed next week when all you need to do is communicate

AS I said great game please keep us in the loop and maybe you will have more than 50 people playing

Edited by seastodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not trying to be rude but pretty much everything you posted is misinformed or simply incorrect.  Sounds more like you're mad at the impending wipe. 

You talk about player base but this is pre alpha, this type of play setting is not for everyone.  Maybe your expectations are off because you think this game should play like normal full release?  What even is a normal full release these days?

You say they don't communicate but I see multiple devs consistently spending time on the forums, I see twitch media, I see newsletters, discord communications, emails about the only thing they don't do is text me every morning telling me to have a good day today, and thats possibly something they should add.

So you're a player who knows how to play.  Well guess what, GR is not for you.  GR is part of a foundation that supports a playable healthy new player experience.  If you do not have somewhere for new players to get a feel for the game, they go away in large part.  As this game is likely to draw many players who are interested in things other than PvP, such as EKs, the requirement to go directly into a world full of people who know everything, how to play, are geared, meta this and min max that - yeah, they'd exit the game faster than they came.

Trial was announced to be 3 weeks.  But you also complained about not enough people playing.  Do you think that an update might help bring players back in?  Yeah, I do too.  And secondly, again, this is prealpha.  You need to be ready for the snow globe to get shook at any time. 

You being done for a week sounds like a good thing, after that tantrum, you'll need some time to cool off.

BTW, your "number of people who play this game" is about 1300 short, IIRC from a few streams ago.  Hopefully that was just desperate hyperbole to support an even weaker set of points.

Edited by Ble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ble said:

Not trying to be rude but pretty much everything you posted is misinformed or simply incorrect.  Sounds more like you're mad at the impending wipe. 

You talk about player base but this is pre alpha, this type of play setting is not for everyone.  Maybe your expectations are off because you think this game should play like normal full release?  What even is a normal full release these days?

You say they don't communicate but I see multiple devs consistently spending time on the forums, I see twitch media, I see newsletters, discord communications, emails about the only thing they don't do is text me every morning telling me to have a good day today, and thats possibly something they should add.

So you're a player who knows how to play.  Well guess what, GR is not for you.  GR is part of a foundation that supports a playable healthy new player experience.  If you do not have somewhere for new players to get a feel for the game, they go away in large part.  As this game is likely to draw many players who are interested in things other than PvP, such as EKs, the requirement to go directly into a world full of people who know everything, how to play, are geared, meta this and min max that - yeah, they'd exit the game faster than they came.

Trial was announced to be 3 weeks.  But you also complained about not enough people playing.  Do you think that an update might help bring players back in?  Yeah, I do too.  And secondly, again, this is prealpha.  You need to be ready for the snow globe to get shook at any time. 

You being done for a week sounds like a good thing, after that tantrum, you'll need some time to cool off.

BTW, your "number of people who play this game" is about 1300 short, IIRC from a few streams ago.  Hopefully that was just desperate hyperbole to support an even weaker set of points.

What impending wipe? Everything? hmm, when? Is this based upon fact or conjecture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Incarnatus said:

What impending wipe? Everything? hmm, when? Is this based upon fact or conjecture?

Fact. They have said several times now that there will be a wipe with the upcoming armor changes in 5.8.6, which is currently on TEST. On TEST, they wiped everything but skills. Hopefully they will do the same on LIVE. I know I'll have to do it at least once more, but I'm tired of training the same skills over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ble said:

You say they don't communicate but I see multiple devs consistently spending time on the forums, I see twitch media, I see newsletters, discord communications, emails about the only thing they don't do is text me every morning telling me to have a good day today, and thats possibly something they should add.

Now your going off the deep end. The OP basis was that ACE does a pretty bad job with their online presence in general and I tend to agree. Sure there are times with higher interaction but its an ebb and flow situation imho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Now your going off the deep end. The OP basis was that ACE does a pretty bad job with their online presence in general and I tend to agree. Sure there are times with higher interaction but its an ebb and flow situation imho. 

No, OP said they do a bad job on communication with the playerbase, very different that doing a bad job with online presence. ACE has mutltiple forms of communication that are very easy to find. Like Ble said; forums, twitch streams (which get posted to YouTube as well btw and saved as twitch videos if you miss them), newsletters, the unofficial discord, and emails. That is plenty of communication.

Talking about online presence is a totally different thing and not something ACE is focusing on until later in development.

Edited by 1304049

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 1304049 said:

No, OP said they do a bad job on communication with the playerbase, very different that doing a bad job with online presence. 

Are you just trying to start an argument by splitting hairs? Even the grandmasters of ignoring their playerbase, Pearl Abyss, had more interaction in development stage.

 

Edit: Frykka, After re-reading my post I realized my using PA to compare to ACE was unwarranted and was written for effect.

Edited by mystafyi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Are you just trying to start an argument by splitting hairs? Even the grandmasters of ignoring their playerbase, Pearl Abyss, had more interaction in development stage.

Uhm...no?

I mean, what examples can you provide of ACE not interacting with the community about? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1304049 said:

Uhm...no?

I mean, what examples can you provide of ACE not interacting with the community about? 

Its hard to provide examples of something not happening. I understand what you are asking though, but without access to paid subforum and a working devtracker it really is too much effort to break it down and would be flawed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I feel it’s all anecdotal conjecture.  Could they devote more of the time and money being spent developing the game to communicating with the players. Sure, they 100% could.  Should they? Eh. 

1.  There’s twice a week news post.  Sometimes it’s fluff, sometimes it’s not.  That’s okay. 

2.  There’s a monthly q/a live stream.  

3.  There’s at least one other live stream every month based off what they are working on.  

4.  There’s a monthly new article sent to your email. 

5.  There’s their news announcement discord.  

6.  Facebook.

7.  JTodd is pretty responsive on Twitter.

8.  Vkromas, Fancyhats, stump are all extremely active on the bugs and feedback subsection.  Tag them and they will respond if it’s within their ability to do so. 

9.  Their @support staff is exceedingly good about answering questions timely and professionally.  If it needs an escalation there’s Tyrant and he will respond even though you might not like his answer. 

10.  Tag ThomasBlair or Jtoddcoleman and they might directly answer dev questions for you.  Panns pretty good about answering forum stuff.  Jackal has his paws in everything.  Tag them if you have a serious enough need. 

 

Sometimes they have slow periods of dev and that means slow news cycles.  Not everything is flashy and news worthy.  The team has really picked up the news rotation with the Trials. 

@seastodd

 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mystafyi said:

Its hard to provide examples of something not happening

I mean you can give examples about what they should be doing or what you want them to be doing that they aren't rather than saying communication is bad with no evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, seastodd said:

AS I said great game please keep us in the loop and maybe you will have more than 50 people playing

Highly unlikely until 5.9 release where we will again probably see 300+ for a few weeks for Alpha testing.   Big numbers won't show until Beta.   A few may return for a short stint with the 5.8.6 wipe but without a full wipe the experienced players will be in epic/legendary and the new runic gear in just days.  Then it will stale just as fast.  It is still Testing and NOT, very much not a "game."

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

                                                        Sugoi - Senpai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Frykka said:

Highly unlikely until 5.9 release where we will again probably see 300+ for a few weeks for Alpha testing.   Big numbers won't show until Beta.   A few may return for a short stint with the 5.8.6 wipe but without a full wipe the experienced players will be in epic/legendary and the new runic gear in just days.  Then it will stale just as fast.  It is still Testing and NOT, very much not a "game."

That sounds logical and well thought out.  It has no place on these forums.  Somebody ban this heretic before this logical and critical thinking spreads! 

 

Also, he’s right. 


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you mandalore, for your constructive criticism of my original post, due  to you acting like an adult (not implying I am having a tantrum, or I have no idea what I am talking about)

I went back and read over my original post and realized some of my language may have been a bit harsh and exaggerated. (horid, bites ass) I started the post simply to raise their awareness that some people are annoyed by their lack of communication in this game and well it really would not take that huge an effort to keep us better informed of well stuff like wipes... a while back I heard they were going to try and give us a one week heads up(meaning make a forum topic WIPE IN ONE WEEK, not have Jtodd mention it in stream where if you were taking a piss you might have missed it) and to me that would be fine.

This was my situation..

I came back again in January, finally with a help of a guild got a grip on the vessel system, wanted ambrosia, bought a second account, started that one I think in February and started dumping points in my necro tree and grave digging trees only on that account.

When Gods reach was announced I had, the purple necro leveled, had all the gold pieces, bones hands ect... I was 28 embers shy of the rerolls, so I just farmed the embers and rolled the vessel thinking a nice three week campaign was coming up I could try out the high end vessel yeah!

But nope bam one week campaign and no imports, so I was stuck with a gold vessel that I could either go to gods reach with and kill r6 stuff for god I have no idea how long that would take, or go to a campaign with basic gear and a revamped ai (r6 zombies hitting for like 1200- 1600..) needing like 1600 xp for my first level, the only way I can get to whites is to level the vessel to what 16? for my first disc slot.. I just took the week off So yeah I was a bit disgruntled but just some heads up would have saved me all that annoyance.. I know others were annoyed also.

That is all I was trying to say... why all the hate guys

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One think I loved about the Trial of Kane is that I have had none of the performance issues I experienced in the later parts of the Trial of Valkyn and this campaign is almost over. I hope they implement periodic server maintenance mid-campaign. I get that they never want to bring campaigns down but I think some maintenance implemented at whatever the lowest population time is for the campaign's region each night would do a lot more good than harm. It's really pretty industry standard with EVE still doing this, Darkfall having done it when it was still active etc.

What I hated about the Trial of Kane is how spring and summer passed before the weekend, critically crippling people's gathering efforts if they were doing work/school Tuesday through Friday.

I think 4 weeks (one week spring, one week summer, one week fall, one week winter) with nightly maintenance would be my ideal campaign in terms of pacing.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, seastodd said:

Thank you mandalore, for your constructive criticism of my original post, due  to you acting like an adult (not implying I am having a tantrum, or I have no idea what I am talking about)

I went back and read over my original post and realized some of my language may have been a bit harsh and exaggerated. (horid, bites ass) I started the post simply to raise their awareness that some people are annoyed by their lack of communication in this game and well it really would not take that huge an effort to keep us better informed of well stuff like wipes... a while back I heard they were going to try and give us a one week heads up(meaning make a forum topic WIPE IN ONE WEEK, not have Jtodd mention it in stream where if you were taking a piss you might have missed it) and to me that would be fine.

This was my situation..

I came back again in January, finally with a help of a guild got a grip on the vessel system, wanted ambrosia, bought a second account, started that one I think in February and started dumping points in my necro tree and grave digging trees only on that account.

When Gods reach was announced I had, the purple necro leveled, had all the gold pieces, bones hands ect... I was 28 embers shy of the rerolls, so I just farmed the embers and rolled the vessel thinking a nice three week campaign was coming up I could try out the high end vessel yeah!

But nope bam one week campaign and no imports, so I was stuck with a gold vessel that I could either go to gods reach with and kill r6 stuff for god I have no idea how long that would take, or go to a campaign with basic gear and a revamped ai (r6 zombies hitting for like 1200- 1600..) needing like 1600 xp for my first level, the only way I can get to whites is to level the vessel to what 16? for my first disc slot.. I just took the week off So yeah I was a bit disgruntled but just some heads up would have saved me all that annoyance.. I know others were annoyed also.

That is all I was trying to say... why all the hate guys

 

 

I mean, over the last couple years I've seen plenty of people with the same kind of demeanor and angst towards ACE, to be honest you think you are doing some kind of public service announcement or favor, but really it is just noise.

The "hate" you feel you are receiving is probably because this thread will accomplish nothing and we see a new one like this like every couple weeks it seems.

Honestly man, I've leveled up a dozen or so vessels just for ACE to wipe and I had to do it all over again. If you don't have patience for your time being wasted every now and then by ACE you may want to hold off till Beta. I'm not condoning behavior like that from Dev teams, I'm just stating what I think is a reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...