Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CursedReaper

Is it correct to say?

That as of right now because of the lack of final damage and no love to the Archer class, that there is really no point to even try and run Ranger as anything other than a Warden or Brigand?

Posted (edited)

No.

There are still a few people who swear by the ranger. Rangers can really beef up their maximum attack range to strike targets at a considerable distance and some of their attacks have CCs attached to them, so right there, the ability to apply CCs at extreme range does provide them with a bit of tactical value.

From what I understand their damage isn't terrible once they are in decent gear either.

So archers are worth considering if you want to apply CC and some damage from a couple zip codes away from your target.

We'll see how post armor change rangers stack up in Zerg vs. Zerg in the coming days since the armor changes that are supposed to make leather more viable came out yesterday. I'm still quite confident I can beat them 1v1 as a cleric but that doesn't mean they have no value.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

2 hours ago, CursedReaper said:

That as of right now because of the lack of final damage and no love to the Archer class, that there is really no point to even try and run Ranger as anything other than a Warden or Brigand?

Despite devs saying that Ranger damage is working properly with arrows/quivers, tests from multiple people seem to show different. At least from what is assumed should be happening.

With the changes to health and armor, I hope Archers have more use.

Ideally you need to be at a far range, stationary, and just LMB away with some AOE/CC tossed in if within range. Not much too it. Elevation helps quite a lot with actually seeing a target.

2 hours ago, Andius said:

There are still a few people who swear by the ranger. Rangers can really beef up their maximum attack range to strike targets at a considerable distance and some of their attacks have CCs attached to them, so right there, the ability to apply CCs at extreme range does provide them with a bit of tactical value.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe any of the CC range powers benefit from the extra range. They are all capped at 35m they start with. Which is nice range but with how quickly melee can make that distance, not that great. Pulls, double dodge, leaps, etc all make that distance less exciting if they decide to focus on ya. Then again they aren't attacking whatever they were initially so there's that.

LMB, Rapid Fire, and Ricochet can go further.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I could be wrong, infact re-reading the abilities of Arcane Archer that CC explicitly stats the range can't be modified. Ranger is not a class I've done much with yet. I mainly just replied since nobody else had yet and I've heard a lot of people who do play it saying it's far from useless / don't want to see someone discouraged from playing a role they seem interested in because of forum talk.

For instance I was told shortly after joining that clerics were not good, when they're actually a great class built the right way.

Anyway, I'd go over the word of people who've played ranger more over mine. And like I said there are a few people who swear by ranger so if you can get in touch with them I'm sure they can teach you how to build one right.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Any cc associated with 3rd LMB works at full range of the LMB...   Ice slow, Crushing stun...   making a good bow with min-maxed range forces you to take a hit on dmg or stats since even with 22 pips you can't even fill 3 lines of blue experiment pts.   Other CC i.e. root is 35m max.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

As a ... rather larger Ranger fan boy .. 

Archer : 
Can be viable but is very situational. 
There are a lot of things which needs to be met. 

You 'do' need a group. 
You will need lots of room to kite if in the open, and each time you kite you know you're not viable anymore cause you're damage is subpar at best. 
Your skills are going to be limited to LMB and rapid Fire/Richocette shot, cause most of your really grp functional abilities like Supress and Root have a 30m range limit which is non modified.
You will be -extremely- gear dependent.
You will be -extremely- discipline dependent.

If on the other hand you do have a situation where you : 
If you can get elevated terrain.
If you do have people supporting you.
If you do have a really good performance on your computer and no lag etc.

Then yes you can be very viable.

Brigand : 
Without a doubt the most viable Ranger Spec ATM.  while yes you do sell out on some of your ranged power (although it's NOT a lot since when an Archer is no stationary then the brigands damage on the bow is -actually- larger than the archers.).  You do gain some very nice tactical abilities... 
Although for the love of GOD I don't get why Druid bombs are invisible, but ranger bombs are... !?!??!

Warden :
Anti Stealth... You're not going to be doing a whole lot in neither ranged nor melee, cause you pretty much semi suck at both... but exposing stealthers as a role in a Siege is rather vital and worth your place...

That being said..
Basic Bow + Basic Arrows 
Basic Bow + Advanced Arrows(Quiver)
Advanced Bow + Basic Arrows
Advanced Bow + Advanced Quivers ...

The first 2 pretty much = the same damage.
The last 2 also = the same damage... 

If this is what is called "working as intended"... then I would STRONGLY suggest you play another class.   It's not @worth the squeeze.....

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

5 hours ago, Soulreaver said:

As a ... rather larger Ranger fan boy .. 

Archer : 
Can be viable but is very situational. 
There are a lot of things which needs to be met. 

You 'do' need a group. 
You will need lots of room to kite if in the open, and each time you kite you know you're not viable anymore cause you're damage is subpar at best. 
Your skills are going to be limited to LMB and rapid Fire/Richocette shot, cause most of your really grp functional abilities like Supress and Root have a 30m range limit which is non modified.
You will be -extremely- gear dependent.
You will be -extremely- discipline dependent.

If on the other hand you do have a situation where you : 
If you can get elevated terrain.
If you do have people supporting you.
If you do have a really good performance on your computer and no lag etc.

Then yes you can be very viable.

Brigand : 
Without a doubt the most viable Ranger Spec ATM.  while yes you do sell out on some of your ranged power (although it's NOT a lot since when an Archer is no stationary then the brigands damage on the bow is -actually- larger than the archers.).  You do gain some very nice tactical abilities... 
Although for the love of GOD I don't get why Druid bombs are invisible, but ranger bombs are... !?!??!

Warden :
Anti Stealth... You're not going to be doing a whole lot in neither ranged nor melee, cause you pretty much semi suck at both... but exposing stealthers as a role in a Siege is rather vital and worth your place...

That being said..
Basic Bow + Basic Arrows 
Basic Bow + Advanced Arrows(Quiver)
Advanced Bow + Basic Arrows
Advanced Bow + Advanced Quivers ...

The first 2 pretty much = the same damage.
The last 2 also = the same damage... 

If this is what is called "working as intended"... then I would STRONGLY suggest you play another class.   It's not @worth the squeeze.....

Isn't the Archer Ranger a top tier single target damage deal but due to the heavy melee meta it's hard to stay on a single target in the melee ball? 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Semi spot om Mand.

The archer has some really good mitigational tools but their range suck when stuck being stationary either out of range or just lacking sight.

The high end damage though lacks

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

Posted (edited)

A Pitfighter or Alphawarrior with AA or SS makes a better ranger honestly and has tools for siege that a ranger doesn't...  e.i. neckbreaker.   With a 40m raged bow and a dive and exit strat it is better than Warden at it and more fun.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai