Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hasil

Performance?

Recommended Posts

Performance has continued to be an issue throughout development -- so much so that I stopped testing because I doubted that they could, technologically, support enough people in battles to make the game functional and fun.

So -- how is it now?  I had heard it was improving but then logged on and found much of the same -- stuttering, de-syncs, unplayable in battles with more than a few people.  Has that changed?  How many people are supported in fights at this point -- in a functional way, with decent performance?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean . . . I think most gamers would agree, if generally you are not stuttering, abilities are going off when pressed -- if lag and FPS issues are not impacting the fight -- then it's a go, it's okay, it's playable.  The fact that you qualified your answer makes me think that it's not truly playable ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They made some progress recently on performance. The dev's have stated much more improvement in 5.9. imho, I would extend your break in testing until then and hopefully come back pleasantly surprised :)

Currently I can maintain above 30fps unless around 40-50 people close by. I consider any game below 30fps unplayable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Hasil said:

I mean . . . I think most gamers would agree, if generally you are not stuttering, abilities are going off when pressed -- if lag and FPS issues are not impacting the fight -- then it's a go, it's okay, it's playable.  The fact that you qualified your answer makes me think that it's not truly playable ;)

It is truly playable to me. It might not be to you.

Performance is far from perfect. It does impact fights. It can still be quite fun, though.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beyond playable in any experience I’ve had since the last performance update, and that’s with 2-3 crowfalls running, discord, prob Netflix and maybe a video editing on process.  There are some lag blips and the only time I really feel lag is big fights at bane trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performance is still bad and pvp to me is unplayable as a result. Stutters, fps drops abilities not going off etc. It's the reason the servers are dead and nobody plays/tests this game. Maybe one of these years it will get fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performence isnt good enough in bigger fights for me to consider it "playable" atm. I will return and reevaluate in 5.9.


One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently upgraded PC to i7 w/16G and gfx 1060. Not exactly a state of the art gaming monster, but it's less embarrassing than the old one.

Video lag seems to be gone, as well as getting kicked to lobby when loading zones. FPS is 60s-90s most times. During large fights FPS may drop to mid 20s, but still very responsive. Periodic hitching is still a thing.

Ability misfires are still a common thing. Even while simply harvesting, commonly the client will go through the motions of swinging the tool, but it just fizzles.

While I don't think anyone, even Ace marketing, would claim performance is release ready, IMO, game performance is fine for pre-alpha testing. 5.9 will bring a new character controller that will touch nearly every aspect of the game code. Most performance optimization is on the back burner until after that, rather than fixing code that's going to be replaced anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My computer was some what out of date when I built in 2012. Some tweaking of the video card settings fixed my fps drop issues. There’s some lag issues when first approaching large groups of people. But it’s playable for me, mostly plagued by loading screen issues. Newest one with this patch is getting stuck at “loading terrain...99.4%”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hasil said:

I mean . . . I think most gamers would agree, if generally you are not stuttering, abilities are going off when pressed -- if lag and FPS issues are not impacting the fight -- then it's a go, it's okay, it's playable.  The fact that you qualified your answer makes me think that it's not truly playable ;)

What kind of rig do you have?  How old? 


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mandalore said:

What kind of rig do you have?  How old? 

About a year old -- Geforce 1070 card.  It's not like the game is very demanding anyway, though, the issues I saw when I was testing were all server-side, latency, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, mystafyi said:

They made some progress recently on performance. The dev's have stated much more improvement in 5.9. imho, I would extend your break in testing until then and hopefully come back pleasantly surprised :)

Currently I can maintain above 30fps unless around 40-50 people close by. I consider any game below 30fps unplayable.

How much longer do you think, based on the current state of the game, until we have a fully playable and fully functional game that only needs polishing and light bug stomping? I'm hesitant to use "beta testing" since most dev studios really don't know how to properly use such terms and that's definitely true here. I think we're still in pre-alpha of all things and only just now barely about to go into alpha...? Last time I played I was so put off that I quit and assumed we wouldn't anything near a fleshed out beta until 2021 let alone a release, which frankly is kind of ridiculous, but whatever.

Edited by Nightmarian

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Nightmarian said:

How much longer do you think, based on the current state of the game, until we have a fully playable and fully functional game that only needs polishing and light bug stomping? I'm hesitant to use "beta testing" since most dev studios really don't know how to properly use such terms and that's definitely true here. I think we're still in pre-alpha of all things and only just now barely about to go into alpha...? Last time I played I was so put off that I quit and assumed we wouldn't anything near a fleshed out beta until 2021 let alone a release, which frankly is kind of ridiculous, but whatever.

I only consider Crowfall to be behind in one category. I have always worried about their network code and decision to use unity, so a lot will depend on their performance improvements in 5.9 to really get a good feel of the game. ACE said we would see a great improvement in 5.9, so if that holds true, I would expect a solid beta version around the new year and release around Q2/3 of 2020. The next 6 months will be a rough ride if you are looking for a fully playable/functional game, since as more and more systems come online there will be bugs, errors and balance issues galore. That is what a pre-alpha/alpha is for though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I only consider Crowfall to be behind in one category. I have always worried about their network code and decision to use unity, so a lot will depend on their performance improvements in 5.9 to really get a good feel of the game. ACE said we would see a great improvement in 5.9, so if that holds true, I would expect a solid beta version around the new year and release around Q2/3 of 2020. The next 6 months will be a rough ride if you are looking for a fully playable/functional game, since as more and more systems come online there will be bugs, errors and balance issues galore. That is what a pre-alpha/alpha is for though.

Don't worry, I'm aware of the pre alpha/alpha conditions and have absolutely zero problems with it, but some are definitely better or worse experiences than others. I was part of the FFXIV alpha and while the game was far far more playable and complete than Crowfall currently is FFXIV was also a pretty terrible game at that point (this was before their relaunch).

That's kind of the point of my original question. I like delving in once and a while and don't regret my backing in the slightest, as I enjoy supporting projects like this and like poking in every once in a while, but it's rare I spend too much time testing an unfinished product for free (way too many other things going on). For FFXIV, for example, I was paid.

Anyway, Crowfall is caught in the same sludge as Star Citizen, Camelot Unchained, Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria, and Ashes of Creation (which made a Battle Royale from their assets out of the blue, supposedly for "testing" despite selling cosmetics for real money during it haha).

As many of these games are the hopefuls of a genre that is otherwise stagnant, it's offputting that not a single one appears anywhere near ready for release. Anyway, thanks for your response. 


Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...