Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vesperre

Necro Sustainability & Vessel Durability

Hi,

There have been discussions about how to keep necromancy viable after people all have legendary, which I feel will be inevitable.  One idea is to keep vessels isolated to a campaign.  This isn't great because campaigns are entirely to short and to create the good necro gear and farm elements.  Another idea is to have vessel durability so they break, not entirely ideal, no person would like to have there  vessel break on them on either death (I cant even get my corpse) or on damage (whoops mid fight catastrophe) . Neither of these seem a good solution to keep necromancy going.

Here's what I suggest.  Give Vessels durability but only on death to you lose a small amount let's say maybe 5/300 based on the level of the vessels (legendaries have 500 let's say).  Every time you lose 25% or your durability you incur a penalty to your all stats (dropped by 10% let's say).  So the more you die the less great your vessel becomes.  Also you only incur this penalty at level 30 so new players don't get bjorked.   Ok, your vessel is kinda crappy now after multiple deaths (ALOT) you've incur the max penalty (40% let's say).  What do you do now?

Here's where necromancy comes in.   As it stands, Grave Digging is the most uninteresting exploration talent.  The graveyards are limited and loot is really base mostly of the level of the graveyard and not your skill. Yes you get better bones and junk but that's rather superfluous.   So let's add something called 'Soul Essence' or SE.  Kinda like the stuff from Elder Scrolls.  When a player has the Grave Digging talent equipped every mob he/she kills has a %  chance to drop this stuff.  The more skill he/she has the better the chance to higher grade SE.  Necromancy then create salves (using SE and misc stuff) that heal vessels.  Green will require green, Rare, blue and Epic, purple etc.  This gives a % durability back to the vessel.  This will all have to be balanced of course.  

So in end, we will never 'lose' our vessels.  They get crappier the more they die.  Necromancers can make this crap that heals them.  Hell we could even make salves that allow people to redo their points but that is a whole other bag of worms (intended).

More thoughts pried from the maw which is my mind,

Vesperre

On a long enough timeline, everyone will have a full stable of full template vessels. As things stand, the only way a full template vessel will get recycled is for changes to the game to make that build obsolete; new talents, new discs, balance changes, etc.

My thought has been to have vessels age. As they move from middle age into early elderly, their attributes would begin to decay. At some point the player will choose to retire them. Possibly 6-12 months of prime life, with 2-4 months of attribute decay to zero.

1 hour ago, Vesperre said:

.  Give Vessels durability but only on death to you lose a small amount

With the current leveling grind?!?!

No thanks.

I don’t want durability on Vessels.  They can’t be mass produced and require a lot more effort than other items.  So this is -definately- a deal breaker for me if this goes through.

Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

Maybe something to help with level grind  is if they develop a method where you can take exp from one vessel and put it into another one

19 minutes ago, Soulreaver said:

With the current leveling grind?!?!

No thanks.

I don’t want durability on Vessels.  They can’t be mass produced and require a lot more effort than other items.  So this is -definately- a deal breaker for me if this goes through.

But you never lose the vessel.  It's just beat up and c an be healed.

Orrrr they could just go back to the original design and make vessels essentially swappable gear with locked in discs. They are easy to make compared to pretty much any other piece of gear even if they are custom made vs factory. Give them more durability if you realllllly want them to last longer than other gear.

Move leveling to the “crow” (account) as a “max equippable quality level” for vessels. Bam best of both worlds.

lPoLZtm.png

Do we really need to have this discussion again? Necromancy is FINE. It doesn't need decay. There will always be new players (provided the game is successful and if it isn't, then it doesn't matter). There will always be new builds to make due to changing meta or new content added. The idea that everyone in the game will have the best legendary vessels possible on all the characters that they want (across multiple accounts, in many cases), and that they will never want to change them, is absurd. 

The decay system for Necromancy is built into the fact that you have to delete ones you no longer want. You can't sell it or give it to someone else once you've used it. They don't stay in the game. They get replaced. If you replace a sword with a better sword, you can still keep the original one and use it again after the new one breaks. You can't do that with vessels. It's just a different kind of decay. Planned obsolescence.