Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aryie

Gold Dust or something else?

Bringing a interesting debate that has been started up in the crowfall discord to the forums, what is the preferred currency among crows? Is it Gold, dust, or something else(like pinecones)?

Presently it is easier to get large quantities of dust than it is to get large quantities of gold. Getting "enough" dust to cover your crafting needs is not difficult. Getting "enough" gold so that you can skip the leveling grind is not as easy.

Rumor has it that gold won't be a sacrifice item in the future. I am not sure that is a good change. Right now the ability to sacrifice gold is the strongest backing for gold's value as a currency.

The utility of gold is likely to go up when we get more things that require upkeep. Right now we have vendor upkeep and guards. I think it is very likely we will eventually pay gold upkeep on all sorts of buildings and other assets. At that point, maybe there will be sufficient backing that it won't need sacrifice value to prop it up.

Gold, dust, and embers are all valuable things generated and used in great enough quantities that I would accept them as a currency for trade. I think gold is the standard because of vendors, but I think people like me who are willing to accept alternate currencies will not be uncommon in direct transactions.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spawl said:

Noooooooooooooo.

then in a non pve game, crafter need a way to lvl their vassals.

xp for crafting please

Edited by Devonic

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Depends on how you trade.

If you do vendors, they can only take gold.  If you do custom orders, most of those are paid in dust/embers.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Devonic said:

Noooooooooooooo.

then in a non pve game, crafter need a way to lvl their vassals.

xp for crafting please

They had a stream up earlier in the month and they talked about XP for harvesting and crafting along with doing a pass on sacrificing junk. I don't think that is until 6.0 or something though.

Krakken beat me to it

Edited by Spawl

I think currently there may be a gold shortage. Quite a few gold sinks but fewer drops. As gold is the commodity we use for trading it shouldn't be scarce or vendors will become useless. It certainly should not be more difficult to get than dust.  

Posted (edited)

The debate in question was whether or not it would be a good idea to replace gold drops and all uses for gold with dust. A position which I am for, and some are against.

Cons:

• There's no base level currency resource that mobs provide that harvesting doesn't.
  • Harder to control free-farming, as the game is designed around dust being ubiquitous.
  • Gaining "liquid dust" through trade becomes more difficult until vendors can pay out buy orders. You'd need a sell vendor to get it.
  • Not pancakes.

Pros:

• There's no base level currency resource that mobs provide that harvesting doesn't.
  • Single source of inflation to manage.
  • Less stuff stacking in banks.
  • No need to hand new characters free (exploitable) gold. Let them smack a few knotwood trees.
  • Free farming doesn't need to be controlled because GR exists now.
  • Mobs don't need gold to remain attractive when they contain minors, belt slot items, (soon) salvageable gear, and are the most efficient source of xp.
  • Controlling dust inflation doesn't mean ramping up dust costs on items, and doesn't impact new players since you can adjust the dust sink on more advanced features like guards, taxes, vendor costs, etc.
  • Mechanisms already exist for "wealth" style drop rate increases.
  • Would give currency much broader intrinsic value even to self sufficient organizations that don't participate in trade, increasing their incentive to trade.
  • Shuts down currency speculation market that can destabalize attempts to control inflation on double currencies.
  • You can start calling aurelium gold ore again.
  • Not pancakes.
Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)

CON's, you can farm dust endlessly in your own EK and will always need to so EK crafting can be supported. Gold you cannot, and with the removal of gold from the average critter, ACE can consider letting us install temporary monster generators and other nodes, knowing that at least one currency, gold, is not subject to endless EK farming.

I think the gold shortage is partly due to people having become dependent on it for leveling as the best way to get past the point where the XP drops, and creature XP fall off. With the "XP for all the things" in the pipe, we need to see that in action to know if in fact gold is too scarce. If there is any problem currently with stores and taxes, it's the rate is high given the current input volumes. (240GP/Day).   

We took a huge squeeze hit on it with the removal of it from a huge number of sources, but what I would rather they do at this point is fix the XP curves so gold is no longer the "best" way to level, and add in different avenues to getting gold like a vendor that will purchase anything for a couple of coins, added to the random treasure chests in the wild, and give more to the humanoids that actually could carry currency. 

I think we need to see a few more pieces fall in place, before we can definitively say what's already planned won't cover off on the problem.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

At least give us lvl 1 pigs in our EK, that will reduce the chock point that will exist, when everyone wants to make their first set of basic armour.   Personally, I would like to come into the first campaign with some equipment.

42 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

CON's, you can farm dust endlessly in your own EK and will always need to so EK crafting can be supported. Gold you cannot, and with the removal of gold from the average critter, ACE can consider letting us install temporary monster generators and other nodes, knowing that at least one currency, gold, is not subject to endless EK farming.

I think the gold shortage is partly due to people having become dependent on it for leveling as the best way to get past the point where the XP drops, and creature XP fall off. With the "XP for all the things" in the pipe, we need to see that in action to know if in fact gold is too scarce. If there is any problem currently with stores and taxes, it's the rate is high given the current input volumes. (240GP/Day).   

We took a huge squeeze hit on it with the removal of it from a huge number of sources, but what I would rather they do at this point is fix the XP curves so gold is no longer the "best" way to level, and add in different avenues to getting gold like a vendor that will purchase anything for a couple of coins, added to the random treasure chests in the wild, and give more to the humanoids that actually could carry currency. 

I think we need to see a few more pieces fall in place, before we can definitively say what's already planned won't cover off on the problem.

1 minute ago, Devonic said:

At least give us lvl 1 pigs in our EK, that will reduce the chock point that will exist, when everyone wants to make their first set of basic armour.   Personally, I would like to come into the first campaign with some equipment.

That's what Gods reach is for.  God's reach is not a campaign.

Gods reach don't have many creatures.  Besides for the beach head, I ran around the island of Nysa for 10 minutes and all I seen was knotwood, cobblestone and slag.  

3 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That's what Gods reach is for.  God's reach is not a campaign.

3 minutes ago, Devonic said:

Gods reach don't have many creatures.  Besides for the beach head, I ran around the island of Nysa for 10 minutes and all I seen was knotwood, cobblestone and slag.  

Only need to find one boar pit to get into whites, and the temple area has at least one of those.