Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Build Help- New Player

Randrik

Hi Guys, 

I like the idea of playing a duelist trying to sneak into keeps and get behind the lines etc for pvp.

Can any of you experts suggest a good build for me please? 

Thx

A little late, but @eskie is right in that Slayer is the most viable spec currently. Dirge is in a good area, but the class itself has many bugs with its abilities. Slayer has them as well but much less so.

I recommend not taking Impale or Ambush, and the higher quality vessel you get the less points you need in your two talents that give critical hit chance. You can then allocate more into other less important talents like health regen, etc.

There is also a talent which increases your Movement Speed while channeling Rapid Fire in the Slayer tree, I never take this talent myself but I won’t deny Rapid Fire has potential. Just starting out on a white vessel, I’d recommend you take it and judge for yourself its worth.

You have one mandatory major discipline and that would be Escape Artist. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 3:58 PM, Puffs said:

You have one mandatory major discipline and that would be Escape Artist. 

A little late, but I generally agree with what Puffs has said excluding this. At first, I thought Escape Artist would be a requirement, but I find myself able to kite most classes without it. I replaced Escape Artist with Plague Lord as I struggle to take down healers. The range on the Plague Lord abilities fits well with the Slayer's range.

1 hour ago, eskie said:

A little late, but I generally agree with what Puffs has said excluding this. At first, I thought Escape Artist would be a requirement, but I find myself able to kite most classes without it. I replaced Escape Artist with Plague Lord as I struggle to take down healers. The range on the Plague Lord abilities fits well with the Slayer's range.

I disagree with you on that, and might I ask what you run besides Plague Lord?

The reason I disagree is Slayer’s major weakness, its Achilles’ Heel is really all crowd control, but mainly roots; retaliate does not remove a root. Off the top of my memory, roots are 6-8 seconds? One root without a way out, means your dead against competent players. Our main advantage is against melee, we excel at screwing them by flippin’ around like crazy hamsters that just had a double shot of espresso, slowing and stunning them as we go. Roots are the strongest crowd control in the game, and especially against a range type with our strengths.

Escape Artist gets you out of a root, and makes you immune to further crowd control. For that alone, in my opinion, Escape Artist is mandatory. However the Speedy Retaliate is also quite useful, pop Saltpeter and you’re faster while they’re slower. Saves you a dodge pip. Our entire kit is all about managing and trading cooldowns so we always have that mobility while kiting and keeping our damage up. I forget the name of the passive that recovers a dodge pip on a CH, but in my opinion that’s a filler for if you don’t have better passives to use.

I run Illusionist and Plague Lord at the moment. I think Escape Artist is great and running it wouldn't be a mistake, but in my experience, I don't find it mandatory.

37 minutes ago, eskie said:

I run Illusionist and Plague Lord at the moment. I think Escape Artist is great and running it wouldn't be a mistake, but in my experience, I don't find it mandatory.

Do you play a lot of ganking? In a gank scenario, you will rarely need it, however in small group fights, keeps, and siege, it will save your hamster behind. All it takes is one druid, just one root and you’re dead. 

1 hour ago, Puffs said:

Do you play a lot of ganking? In a gank scenario, you will rarely need it, however in small group fights, keeps, and siege, it will save your hamster behind. All it takes is one druid, just one root and you’re dead. 

Yes my play style is very gank oriented, and I try to stay out of the middle of the zerg in large scale PvP.

With that said, I do find that Escape Artist is a popular rune, and the main benefit is the group CC immunity for 5s (Free Action) which I can reap the benefits of without needing to slot it.

One of the best parts about Plague Lord is Festering Wounds which gives you a way to apply Exposed to your target without stealth. It relies on healing being triggered on them, but I find that happens more often than not.

33 minutes ago, eskie said:

Yes my play style is very gank oriented, and I try to stay out of the middle of the zerg in large scale PvP.

With that said, I do find that Escape Artist is a popular rune, and the main benefit is the group CC immunity for 5s (Free Action) which I can reap the benefits of without needing to slot it.

One of the best parts about Plague Lord is Festering Wounds which gives you a way to apply Exposed to your target without stealth. It relies on healing being triggered on them, but I find that happens more often than not.

Definitely out of the zerg, but just ganking on the backline is almost entirely useless as a Duelist. Your main strength is that of mobility and CC, you are an absolute peel machine for druids. Your ult also gives your healers a free reset/room to breathe and essentially CDR or else take big damage and a stun.

You mean make other people slot it? Who? Your kit is mobility, you in the party should be running it instead of making a healer or another damage reduce either of those. Slayers aren’t about damage, they’re about utility imo. Being able to hit 2k+ dynamites is just a bonus! We’re kiting whittlers.

Illusionist is definitely a staple discipline, I just think it falls short on Slayer. Our damage doesn’t need to be better through discs, we need to complement our utility. From when last I played though, GM didn’t really give that much damage increase to us. Unless you like it for the basic slow or bonus to true damage? Never was certain what true damage was, do you know? Assumed it was basics. As for the stealth? Don’t need it. The crit is nice to reallocate a couple talent points though, tbh. 

I 100% agree on Plague Lord, great disc, especially for Duelist and I like running it myself.

Running escape artist/plaguelord is imo the best build for group setups.

I often use the freedom to save my teammates asses from the backline, or to counter CC when we want to go for pushes.

I also use expansive mind to have 2 of the 3 plaguelord powers.

Not only do they provide anti healing, but since your crit chance is super high, the dot from plaguelord can crit and give you stacks of feeling Lucky.

Meaning often I don't have to do a full rapid fire to get the 10x stacks, instead I can get it with dots and pepperboxes, maximizing my dmg output.

Imo having a slayer as a backline ganker is a waste of potential, put them in your own backline, keep your 6 buffs up, and pump out damage and control like no tomorrow.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

On 5/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, Puffs said:

Definitely out of the zerg, but just ganking on the backline is almost entirely useless as a Duelist. Your main strength is that of mobility and CC, you are an absolute peel machine for druids. Your ult also gives your healers a free reset/room to breathe and essentially CDR or else take big damage and a stun.

You mean make other people slot it? Who? Your kit is mobility, you in the party should be running it instead of making a healer or another damage reduce either of those. Slayers aren’t about damage, they’re about utility imo. Being able to hit 2k+ dynamites is just a bonus! We’re kiting whittlers.

Illusionist is definitely a staple discipline, I just think it falls short on Slayer. Our damage doesn’t need to be better through discs, we need to complement our utility. From when last I played though, GM didn’t really give that much damage increase to us. Unless you like it for the basic slow or bonus to true damage? Never was certain what true damage was, do you know? Assumed it was basics. As for the stealth? Don’t need it. The crit is nice to reallocate a couple talent points though, tbh. 

I 100% agree on Plague Lord, great disc, especially for Duelist and I like running it myself.

For organized group PvP, I usually have a ranger in my group with Escape Artist. I like Illusionist for the combo passives Phantom Feints and Hot Foot. Glamour Weapon is nice if you aren't at the attack power cap. I believe true damage is our basic attacks.

I find that a lot of my damage is from basic attacking and applying Hot Foot is easy for the Slayer.

I find success ganking on the backline, picking off people falling behind, and playing around my zerg. I think the Slayer's mobility and stealth gives a lot of flexibility on where you play in group PvP.