Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phr00t

30 minutes in the life of a fully trained Skinner

Posted (edited)

So let's say you have a guild member who asks you for some blue or epic flexible hide? What do you do? You go farm rank 9s!

How long will you need to farm to acquire enough blue, or even epic quality materials to make a full set of armor? Well, just watch the video and do the math..
Spoiler: Much longer than a miner.

TLDW: stats and results at the end of the video.

Edited by Phr00t

6 minutes ago, VaMei said:

I may have to take some time tonight to try my hand at the sequel, 30 Minutes in the Life of a Poorly Trained Miner: LoL Skinning

It will be 3 or 4x the yield and probably win you an Oscar simply for being pr mining and anti skinning. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, VaMei said:

I may have to take some time tonight to try my hand at the sequel, 30 Minutes in the Life of a Poorly Trained Miner: LoL Skinning

Yes please!!

Also to note from this video

Using a +55 skinning knife and a +11 reaping necklace, and being completely skinning trained, yet hitting r9 skinning nodes for 80 damage per swing. Give me a break.

Blair's response:

But you are also getting loot from the mob!! Like gold (which we removed) and dust (a laughable amount compared to what other harvesters get) and the occasional sacrifice item (that is worthless to anything but a white level 3 vessel)

Posted (edited)

The devs have said they are making changes, such as adding skinning motherlodes, so I have no doubt these concerns will be resolved.

I just hope they can make adjustments before those large system-wide sweeping changes go into effect, that make our lives less of a grind to gear out leather wearers.

Edited by Phr00t

5 hours ago, Stubbs said:

Blair's response:

Statements like this make me question if they actually play/test a long side us or just in their artificial bubbles.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, VaMei said:

30 Minutes in the Life of a Poorly Trained Miner: LoL Skinning

Terrible movie, would not recommend.

Used my Skinner to go mining. He has some training in Excavation, but no strength to speak of, and no gear benefiting mining. I fit the mining and hoarder discs, giving him a total of 13.27 mining without a tool. Critical harvest chance: 5.21% & Crit harvest amount:1. Mining pot and auroch kebab got him to Plentiful:4. I used picks with +25-30 mining and no alloy bonus.

For the 1st test I went to Moonglow & hit the R6s there. I came away with:

• Silver:    125C    7U    1R
  • Gold:    100C    6U
  • Copper:    32C    1U
  • Iron:    66C    7U
  • Tin:    106C    6U
  • Total:    429C    27U
  • Dust:    234
  • Ember:    1

That's a load of commons, and I was really surprised by how much dust there was, but with Crit Amount of only 1, I couldn't get deep enough into the loot tables to reach the good stuff. In spring or summer, with Plentiful:5, this would have been better.

2nd test was at the keep in Arynth for R10s:

• Silver:    24C    0U    11R    3E
  • Gold:    20C    0U    8R
  • Copper:    40C    5U    20R    2E
  • Iron:    
  • Tin:    13C    0U    5R    1E
  • Total    97C    5U    44R    6E
  • Dust:    74
  • Ember:    1

Beating on R10s with only 43 skill points  is just painful, I was only getting 23dmg on a normal swing. Not that this is any different for skinning, but it really cut into the number of nodes I could hit within the test time. Again, PR:4 and Crit Amount:1 really hurts the bottom line.

Phroot's cats for comparison.

• Hide    144    59    42    15
  • Meat    ~135
  • Blood     0   1    1
  • Bone      0   1    1
  • Total    279c    61u    44r    15e

So... In the 1st test, the noob miner's R6s crushed the skilled skinner's R9s for commons and dust, but didn't get much else. In the second test noob miner's R10s matched skilled skinner's R9s for rares, but took only 40% of his epics and fell way behind on commons/uncommons. I think in spring/summer with better picks, noob miner would have had a better showing. In fall, skilled skinner's Plentiful and critical training carried the day.

Looking forward to the continuation of the series, Skilled Miner Strikes Back followed by the series finale Motherlodes - The Return of the King

Edited by VaMei

Posted (edited)

[Removed, wrong tab = wrong thread]

As another skinner, my experience is very similar to Phroot's. This system is not currently good or fun in the slightest.

Edited by Snorbot
Had the wrong tab up. Commented in the wrong thread

On 4/26/2019 at 6:21 PM, VaMei said:

Terrible movie, would not recommend.

Used my Skinner to go mining. He has some training in Excavation, but no strength to speak of, and no gear benefiting mining. I fit the mining and hoarder discs, giving him a total of 13.27 mining without a tool. Critical harvest chance: 5.21% & Crit harvest amount:1. Mining pot and auroch kebab got him to Plentiful:4. I used picks with +25-30

Thanks for spending some time to do a test! Hoping to get a video recorded next spring to compare visually.

I think the other mats should be slowed down to the level of skinning. I don't think blue or purp should be the norm. Honestly I think green should be the norm and blue and purp should be rarer. To make some items coveted on the vendors their needs to be more scarcity.

3 hours ago, bignick22000 said:

I think the other mats should be slowed down to the level of skinning. I don't think blue or purp should be the norm. Honestly I think green should be the norm and blue and purp should be rarer. To make some items coveted on the vendors their needs to be more scarcity.

We are at x3 training speed and are at 6 months so 18 months of launch training.  At a year and half in the game everybody better be in blues or purps or that is a problem. 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, mandalore said:

We are at x3 training speed and are at 6 months so 18 months of launch training.  At a year and half in the game everybody better be in blues or purps or that is a problem. 

See that's where you and I disagree, I'm not saying you are wrong I'm saying not every one should be in Blue and purp's I think they should be rarer. In my opinion and again I'm stating an opinion durability should be high enough and the blues and purples should be rare enough that when some one decides to put on that blue or purple gear they are making a choice to consume it knowing the benefits and costs. Costs is the time to make it as well as the durability cost, the benefit is the ability to kick some ass.  

A major down side to EVERY one being in blue and purple is that new players will always be up against OP hardcore players, also the rarity and the durability keeps the economy strong.

Spolini

2 minutes ago, bignick22000 said:

A major down side to EVERY one being in blue and purple is that new players will always be up against OP hardcore players, also the rarity and the durability keeps the economy strong.

Spolini

That's bc the disparity in the gear is massive.  There needs to be a flatter curve in gear climb not the giant leaps from one to another that we have now.  

wiDfyPp.png

On 5/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, bignick22000 said:

You do realize that the longer the server is up, the more the norm will shift towards blues and purples right? That eventually, there will be enough blue and purple mats harvested that a lot of established players will be geared out with quality gear. 

So why slow down the new players by making it difficult to harvest quality mats? It's already slow enough for new players to train passive and unlock the passive powers that help them harvest higher quality mats. If you slow down the drops of higher quality mats, it is that much harder for a new player to become an established player.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, mist said:

You do realize that the longer the server is up, the more the norm will shift towards blues and purples right? That eventually, there will be enough blue and purple mats harvested that a lot of established players will be geared out with quality gear. 

So why slow down the new players by making it difficult to harvest quality mats? It's already slow enough for new players to train passive and unlock the passive powers that help them harvest higher quality mats. If you slow down the drops of higher quality mats, it is that much harder for a new player to become an established player.

I think the idea is that the durability is supposed to curb that.  And no it won't happen if the drops are kept rare enough to keep it valuable. if durability keeps the highest items rare and the drops are a bit rare then the most hardcore players won't always be rolling in their purp gear. which means You might have a newbie go up against a hard core in greens.

For example if you are a hard core player just out and about you might choose to wear your green putting you on par with some newer players.  If you are taking a keep with an army then you might wear purples.

Edited by bignick22000