Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicid

Guard system is expensive and sort of pointless

Now that the current iteration of guards has been on live for a while I'm curious what people think about it / what changes would make the most sense moving forward.

I kind of like them the way they are in keeps - it makes sense to invest in powerful guards to keep that area safe - but 1k gold (which is about half an hour of farming) for an NPC that will likely die within hours is rather lame.

Problem is, they are so expensive and easily lost you hardly see them outside of keeps.

On outposts guards really don't seem to exist - too much money for too little return.

Apparently it is the same in forts which has lead to some ridiculous gameplay.  (one level one character shouldn't be able to cap forts) . I don't know if people would even be willing to buy them in preparation for defending a fort - because if you lose a fort you can simply take it right back a few minutes later.

Is this just a placeholder system or have we heard of changes/improvements incoming?  What was the problem with the guards we had before?

Posted (edited)

i'd suggest:

• unclaimed outposts/forts etc spawn with zombies until first faction claim. [rather than just no contest circle sitting]
  • once guards are bought, they have an eventual respawn time. 
  • adjust base price.
  • have it in adjustable 'ranks' as well of multiple upgrades (or even guard type selection)
Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Math on costs was done more on line with what we used to get for gold. IE, every critter dropped gold, not just the humanoids.  

There is also a problem with the only spawn once, and Archers using LOS trickery to make them little more than massive gold sinks.  

They do need work to sort out, that is certain.

Guards should respawn as long as the objective is owned by whoever paid for them.

Even if the objective is flipped to neutral or hostile, the guard should remain in place and retain its loyalies until killed. I didn't pay them to stop shooting people just because some random guy stood in a circle for a few minutes or chopped down a tree. I expect them to fight to the death even after the enemy has locked them all inside and is hanging up new tapestries.

The cost of guards should be reviewed in light of the current rate of gold gain.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)

Gold use to be  5-10 times easier to get, the drops were majorly nerfed, i think guards should be more round the 100-250 gold cost (Camps being 100g and forts being 200 or so)

if they remain 1k they should last for the entire campaign for each faction so if a camp has 2 order guards in and is taken by lets say chaos no guard will be there for them since they havant purchased any yet but if order reclaims that camp at a later date the guard will come back with no gold required.

Also Guard should remain there firing until they die even if the camp is taken or put in neutral.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Posted (edited)

The AI has to be much smarter and is not worth the price currently. It should behave more like a player and be a real threat instead of a dummy, the current AI-Guards dont even move much, they should more act like the AI in Mount&Blade or Tiger Knight, in this games the AI is much more believable and adds immersion to the game.

The Devs maybe should get some inspirations of these AI Soldiers. (I especially like the archer movement and behavior at 0:07 here)

Edited by Kreigon

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Math on costs was done more on line with what we used to get for gold. IE, every critter dropped gold, not just the humanoids.  

There is also a problem with the only spawn once, and Archers using LOS trickery to make them little more than massive gold sinks.  

They do need work to sort out, that is certain.

Any ranger can LOS kill gaurds. Can confirm as i do it constantly on my brigand. This also applies to fort gaurds. I have found a spot for each and every gaurd. Also dont forget that if the current UI for it is to be believed its supposed to be 10 steps. So that means 1k per step and i would assume that a guard would start at R1 then level up to R10 which is a loooot of gold.

Edited by Tyrannicall

Keep guards are good before sieges, and good for protecting crafters from me. Fort guards you only need one to hinder solo caps anymore is a waste, as two people can cap with 4 guards. Outpost guards are for ganking people who will chase you to the outpost where you bought guards.

I have to say that I’m almost entirely biased on this topic.

I love when players don’t spend money on guards... especially Chaos on their keep, I get to dig under that wall and shoot more unsuspecting players. Even though I’m biased, I do think it’s a fun thing to allow players to do. You don’t bother building your walls or putting up guards? Well, it is a PvP game and I hope keep-play outside of sieges remains a thing, it’s just plain good fun for everyone 🙂

I think either the cost of guards need to come down, or gold drops buffed, or even gold drops where they are but including of animals (help skinnnnnnners). There has to be a decent balance between the strength of each guard, and the amount of gold it costs. I think we can all agree that one guard is quite strong nowadays. 

I could get behind respawns or a new mechanic for outposts and forts. As it is now no one is going to bother dropping gold on camps or outposts, and with Forts? Not as likely either. Gold is just such a precious resource and leveling anything blue+ is an utter pain. One person hotboxing multiple accounts on level 1’s can do some damage as it stands now though, and that definitely needs to be fixed.