Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Firstly yes I know the game is in pre-alpha, but I have seen a lot of videos online and checked what sort of state the game was in and everything looked fine.  However the servers appear to be completely barren of any people currently playing the game.  Am I missing something?  Is it just the case that there is hardly anyone playing?

I do honestly hope someone can point me in the right direction else at the moment I do feel like I've just wasted my money.  Just feel gutted at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Shaggywolfhound said:

Firstly yes I know the game is in pre-alpha, but I have seen a lot of videos online and checked what sort of state the game was in and everything looked fine.  However the servers appear to be completely barren of any people currently playing the game.  Am I missing something?  Is it just the case that there is hardly anyone playing?

I do honestly hope someone can point me in the right direction else at the moment I do feel like I've just wasted my money.  Just feel gutted at the moment.

The game is indeed in a pre-alpha state, and some say we are close to alpha I believe. I’ve had more fun in this game than almost any live game I’ve played.

At the moment, I believe the total population of concurrent players on the NA servers is mid 200’s.. maybe low 300’s now? Generally you’ll see around 150 online at peak times. This is all off the top of my head, and so take it with a grain of salt. I don’t make it a habit of checking population often.

However with that in mind, why do you feel gutted? Yes the servers may not have thousands of players but think of what all of this means. You’re one of a couple hundred people watching this game be made live. You get to test it, make feedback that the devs will see, and have a chance to be part of this community before it becomes so big you feel your voice is lost in the sea.

I honestly adore this game, and the fact it’s currently small. Everyone knows everyone, everyone knows everyone’s group, and there’s a really awesome feeling of community you don’t get from many games. I love my guild, they’re some great people, and some of my favorite moments of gaming in my entire life have been from this game and in this guild I found in this game.

You have to keep in mind that this game while PvP based, revolves around being social. Every profession requires other professions, grouping, farming together, ganking together, it’s all encouraged by how the game is made. I believe it’s going to be one of the great aspects about it, that keeps it going because it’s such an enjoyable experience. It opens up the opportunity for so many unique moments.

I really hope you give it a fair shot, log on, meet some people, ask questions, and help it be great! You’ll be one of only a few hundred :)

I am honestly trying to give it a shot.  Both myself and my wife have been trying to play the game and yes I like the way it plays (moves, abilities, crafting etc).  My only problem is whilst we have been playing we have seen in the 6-7 hours 2 players at the most, so it makes it pretty much pointless.

We have been using the live servers so maybe we should be using the test servers?  Also on EU since we're in the UK, although could try NA but then there's the time difference.  I'm looking for pointers rather than a discussion of whether it's any good.  

The gutted statement is:  Imagine you enter into a game that looks and plays like a new MMO that' you've been looking for a while and then you find that essentially it's empty.............that's exactly what has happened to us so far.  I think you will probably agree gutted is going to be pretty much how you would feel.

The game has to start somewhere. I like the vision they have and let me money do the talking. Pre Alpha gameplay is what it is. My opinion was if I didn’t have the disposable income to make the purchase maybe I should be doing other things anyways. Let me know your playtime’s if you want someone to play with. 

43 minutes ago, Shaggywolfhound said:

I am honestly trying to give it a shot.  Both myself and my wife have been trying to play the game and yes I like the way it plays (moves, abilities, crafting etc).  My only problem is whilst we have been playing we have seen in the 6-7 hours 2 players at the most, so it makes it pretty much pointless.

We have been using the live servers so maybe we should be using the test servers?  Also on EU since we're in the UK, although could try NA but then there's the time difference.  I'm looking for pointers rather than a discussion of whether it's any good.  

The gutted statement is:  Imagine you enter into a game that looks and plays like a new MMO that' you've been looking for a while and then you find that essentially it's empty.............that's exactly what has happened to us so far.  I think you will probably agree gutted is going to be pretty much how you would feel.

For future reference you have to quote me or @ me for me to be notified :)

I understand entirely what you mean, and I do believe the UK servers have a smaller population all ‘round but you’ve also come in at a bad time as most of that population is taking a break I believe. Either due to recent wipes or awaiting upcoming major patches that are around the corner. However, the other day I did see both servers almost equal in pop! Could have been NA guilds hopping over though.

Maybe you two should try playing on the NA server though? Likely your best bet for now, and you can at any time swap over! Your ms may be above 100 but with how unoptimized the game is for now, it’s hardly noticeable. Also, big changes are coming in that regard! The test server is just that, to test upcoming patches. Live is where you want to play so you can get a feel for the game, then go to test if you’d like to contribute to future patches. You can also get a sexy lookin’ mug too for your character by playing test eventually :)

Apply for a guild on the website, talk in faction chat, etc and try to find a playgroup!

Part of issue is the nature of the development cycles and testing. Most backers do not play CF like a released game yet because of the pre-alpha state. When a major new patch comes online, the population jumps up - everyone wants to try out the new stuff. Then the population declines a bit after a month or two as we wait on the next big update. 5.9 is coming soon with some good engineering changes on backend performance, so when that gets to LIVE there will again be a surge in population.  

Best recommendation is to try joining an active testing guild in EU, that's one thing that will hugely increase your enjoyment of the game atm:

https://community.crowfall.com/forum/5-guild-recruiting/

Use your playtime now for learning about the game and all the interconnected systems (character building, harvesting/crafting, siege schedule), and to start getting involved with the community. As the game gets closer to launch the population will keep growing.

tiPrpwh.png

52 minutes ago, Puffs said:

Maybe you two should try playing on the NA server though? Likely your best bet for now, and you can at any time swap over! Your ms may be above 100 but with how unoptimized the game is for now, it’s hardly noticeable.

I play from New Zealand where my ping time is 199ms.  It plays just fine.

I believe that the game honors your perspective for whatever you are aiming at... so you can run behind something and attack (as an assassin, for example) before the message gets through the server to your opponent, and the game says "yes you were behind from your perspective, your attack counts as from behind" even though the defending party has no chance to defend themselves from this because they haven't even gotten the network packet that says you ran behind them yet.  On the flipside, everybody else can do this to you.