Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TaeSilverfox

How to Make Winter Fun to Play

Fewer people play in winter and people who play a lot play less. The two factors are that as a PKer I pray on unsuspecting harvesters, in winter there are none... so I move to capture forts, but in winter no one comes because the point differentials are so high that winners don't care to defend the forts and can just recap them as soon as I leave so instead they just hang out in their keep. So I go inside their keep to bring them out, but then they just sit on the wall and wait for me to come in. Overall for a PvP game, it is extremely boring in winter. Many people defend our current winter and say nothing is wrong, they blame the players, those people are idiots. The game is about the players, without the players there is no game, so when a game incentivizes people to stop playing then the game is at fault.

We want stronger incentives to play during winter. Hunger shards are annoying to farm because you have to run across the entire map to locate them (very few people are spec'ed into hunger shards too). If you were capturing forts and doing PvP running around would be fine... but there is no incentive to do either in winter because it is hard to find people and people don't care about points.

I suggest raid bosses that only spawn in winter and drop rare/epic/legendary materials. This way people can still 'harvest' in winter but now we have a place to go to kill people harvesting (you can't really hunt people harvesting hunger shards because they are randomly generated).

Increasing points in winter to x8 instead of x4 would drastically make capturing and defending forts extremely relevant, and thus increase PvP.

Winter is supposed to be a brawl fest since we can't harvest right? Add rewards for killing players that only activate in Winter; like bounties of gold/mats or special rewards only unlocked through PvP are essential for keeping PvP active. We need more rewards for playing during winter.

Right now Spring and Summer offer us chances at legendary materials and gear. While Winter offers us Hunger Shard Additives that are extremely rare and only a handful of people each faction can actually harvest. Any reasonable player can assess that is beneficial to play during Spring and Summer and a pointless struggle to play in Winter. So add phat lewt in Winter that is given out based on PvP, and/or provide Raid Bosses where phat lewt can drop and thus people can fight over spawns to continue farming, and/or add some other feature that makes all people want to play in Winter. (Randomly generated hunger shards does not make all players want to play)

Imo PvE should get better in the later seasons, so Combat related activities in Fall/Winter and Spring and summer is harvesting times.

I wanna see named bosses/rare spawns and thing start spawning in fall and winter that drop interesting things like disaplines or cosmetics unique crafting recipes and things.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

3 hours ago, Kendread said:

Winter is the time when the hunger is harsher so there should be like a ridiculous amount of hunger nodes and hunger mobs.

Hunger mobs with special loot tables that get better towards campaign end 

23 hours ago, veeshan said:

Imo PvE should get better in the later seasons, so Combat related activities in Fall/Winter and Spring and summer is harvesting times.

I wanna see named bosses/rare spawns and thing start spawning in fall and winter that drop interesting things like disaplines or cosmetics unique crafting recipes and things.

I would like to see resources that are dependent somewhat upon the seasons. Perhaps skinning could have bonus applied in the spring/summer and penalties in fall/winter. Mining could have penalty in spring/winter when ground are frozen and bonus in summer/fall. Everything could be linked to seasons in some way. Since fall/winter seasons are hurting for activity compared to spring/summer more things could have bonuses in those seasons.

You could always have "demons" that spawn from hunger regions only during the winter, and have the "snow" effect grow out from a hunger shard the more it is left there (also, winter only, this is all only winter).  Then you just need to add a debuff to the snow area, to achieve losses that sap people's ability, such as slows speeds, forces dismount, cancels stealth, hinders stamina (and maybe all regen), or dramatically increasing the need to eat food (along with possibly revoking the ability to eat food).  It is even possible to have a new status bar generated specifically, for this, showing how much a person is freezing (with greater consequences as the bar gets worse).

However "Hunger Demons" (which would look like spiritual horrors) spawn from this mess have some of the greatest rewards in the game, and leaving a hunger shard for an entire in-game day has that shard snow-cover the entire Parcel.  When a Hunger "Demon Horror" spawns in your current tile, you get a boss health bar up around where the capture meter is, the fight is that important.  It also means you know when someone is attacking it in the current tile.  Additionally, have the Demon Horror only spawn from a "fully ripe Hunger Shard" (which takes a quarter in-game day of snow coverage).  So mining it spawns the demon (there is barely enough time to mine the shard and run away before this thing spawns, though the miner will still get aggro).  The snow effect remains until the Demon Horror dies, but no longer grows larger.  Lesser Hunger Demon Specters can spawn naturally around the shard/horror too.

When mining a fully ripe shard, there is still a chance nothing will spawn, and the snow will just start to disappear instead.  The chance of a horror spawning is lowest right after a horror is spawned anywhere in the world, with the chance getting larger for each shard broken since (with a higher growth rate for fully ripe shards, and an even greater rate for a maximum power shard - a day later when snow coverage is max).  The main map will then report snow coverage zones, shards (ripe and unripe), and horrors.  Just as snow coverage is gradual, snow removal is gradual too, taking a equally long to remove the snow as it was to produce it (but nothing in the area will remain frozen if there is no shard there, the demon horror does not freeze things either, it just attacks you instead).  This can impact snow coverage that already exists if another shard were to appear then in the same tile region.  This will easily have the impact of making the world mostly snow covered, and finding a warm area would be very difficult.

So at this point, the simple nature of the place, the environment, is a huge hazard, but the rewards are very high.  Having it announce similar to an outpost could engineer conflict as people are trying to farm horrors.  More than that, if there is a chance of a horror fiend spawning, a super rare variant of the demon horror that is even more powerful, that instantly snow-covers the entire map (non-frozen style), and does a server-wide declaration, with the absolute best rewards, you have random events that will attract a lot of player attention.  At this point, if you add participation in demon hunts to the server leader-board, you have a large devotion of players trying for seasonally exclusives.  For others, they would simply call this "bait".

Milla's Elemental Mastery [Ravens & Crows - See "About Me" Section]:

Spoiler
  • Rosaline: Elemental of Earth, Female Wood-Elf Earth-Keeper, Political Main.
  • Ametrine: Elemental of Fire, Female Nethari Fire-Sanctifer, Endurance Main.
  • Sylphine: Elemental of Air, Female Fae Storm-Caller, Combat Main.
  • Cyandine: Elemental of Water, Female High-Elf Frost-Weaver, Tactical Main.
  • Lumirine: Elemental of Light, Female Human Holy-Crusader, Support Assist.
  • Ebontine: Elemental of Dark, Female Half-Elf Moon-Warden, Survival Assist.