Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

ACE Q&A for May - Official discussion thread

@thomasblair Were loot tables on Ancients changed to reflect the Hunger Crystal change? It's going to be really hard to find discs on r6+ hungerfied mobs since Hunger Crystals spawn randomly and not always near Ancient spawns

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

The reports you are getting about low drop rates from hunger crystals are not from God's Reach. God's Reach doesn't even have hunger crystals, afaik. I've never seen one there.

I have spent a considerable amount of time harvesting hunger crystals in campaign, everything from rank 3 to rank 10. I had regular spots that I checked for ranks 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can't tell you how many of those nodes I harvested, but it was a significant number.

Z8bOWXo.png

55 blue or better shards, 150 total. Only 1 hammer in all that time, which can be used 20 times.

This also doesn't take into account larger populations and more competition for the crystals. I didn't see many other people harvesting them. 

The drop rate is too low.

Will the Hunger mobs drop something special now that they'll be relatively rare?  It could make an interesting choice between farming the mobs or breaking the crystal for Hunger shards.

Regarding the "monkey bots", any chance at a quick video to see how 5.90 handles a ton of clients?  I'd like to see something similar to the one ya'll did during a 12 hour stream a few years ago.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Arkade said:

The reports you are getting about low drop rates from hunger crystals are not from God's Reach. God's Reach doesn't even have hunger crystals, afaik. I've never seen one there.

I have spent a considerable amount of time harvesting hunger crystals in campaign, everything from rank 3 to rank 10. I had regular spots that I checked for ranks 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can't tell you how many of those nodes I harvested, but it was a significant number.

Z8bOWXo.png

55 blue or better shards, 150 total. Only 1 hammer in all that time, which can be used 20 times.

This also doesn't take into account larger populations and more competition for the crystals. I didn't see many other people harvesting them. 

The drop rate is too low.

Have harvested about twice as much as that and have not seen a single hammer the entire campaign.  Pretty depressing waste of time at the current drop rate with a large number of the crystals I harvested being R6-R10 as I often run through the three adventure zone forest often.

Edited by Jecht
Grammar (have not, not have)

16 minutes ago, Jecht said:

Have harvested about twice as much as that and have not seen a single hammer the entire campaign.  Pretty depressing waste of time at the current drop rate with a large number of the crystals I harvested being R6-R10 as I often run through the three adventure zone forest often.

killed about 10 r6+ and get 2 hammers 😃  not so lucky on epic+ shards but still quite decent drop

the problem here is what hunger crystals are mostly trash r4 and less and you have to clear whole zone before they have a chance to spawn somethere around r10 mobs

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

35 minutes ago, Phr00t said:

301eck.jpg

I’m glad I’m not the only one. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, makkon said:

killed about 10 r6+ and get 2 hammers 😃  not so lucky on epic+ shards but still quite decent drop

the problem here is what hunger crystals are mostly trash r4 and less and you have to clear whole zone before they have a chance to spawn somethere around r10 mobs

i'd taken out probably about 20 r10s, I have 12 or so epic shards and 2 legendaries, I get that I probably had really bad luck, but it's rediculous it is rare enough that that bad of luck can happen.

But yea, got to clear the zone each time just to spawn the R5-R10 shards in the forest and hope no one swoops in and takes them out while your doing so.

Edited by Jecht

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phr00t said:

301eck.jpg

I have a hard time taking this comment from the devs seriously "skinning is just a bonus" because if they are serious than it shows a complete lack of understanding of that part of the game.  For those of us who are running around grinding mobs for experience or some of the items they drop than that argument may be valid but lets be honest.... Most of us are not bothering to skin them,  we just kill, loot and move on.  The complaints being made are coming from people where skinning is NOT a bonus.  It is THE thing they are after but to get it they first have to kill it which is a completely different thing than bonking a rock and having it spit chunks at you that you pick up until said rock breaks at which time you may get even more spit at you.  For those who are actually SEEKing the hide then skinning is NOT a bonus and they are totally getting screws right now.....

Edited by Drizzzt

Posted (edited)

I have to agree with what a lot of the other posters are saying. This Q&A seemed really out of touch with the concerns around skinning. I know you guys don't appreciate the hyperbole so I'll try and keep that to a minimum, but lets break down the concerns: 

• Labeling skinning/the leather as a 'bonus' to killing mobs feels inaccurate and uninformed. Once I'm level 30 there is zero reason aside from skinning that I would go kill a skinnable mob, unless it's an ancient R6+. They don't drop anything useful.
    • I get way more dust via other gathering methods
    • I can get dust AND gold per kill off humanoids
    • Maybe I don't need leather, maybe I need meat. This still requires skinning the mob. 
  • Treating leather drops as 'bonus loot' makes it sound like its giving you something that's nonessential, but nice to have. Meanwhile, leather is essential to many professions. 
    • Calling it a bonus from killing also seems to assume that there's some other way of getting leather that's more efficient. There's not. 
  • The yield per time spent on skinning is much lower when compared to something like mining . Several posts have been put together by people such as @Phr00t and @SmokinJoker46290 that already outline better than I could.
  • This was addressed, but, this is the only type of gathering that necessitates durability damage to your combat gear

My final bit of feedback, which is admittedly anecdotal, but I do believe is telling, is that multiple guild mates and I had discussions about avoiding leather wearing specs as it was just too tedious to skin for their armor, in comparison to mining.

Edited by Enoxi

20 hours ago, Arkade said:

That seems roughly on par with what I saw in my hunger crystal farming, though I think I hit somewhat fewer total crystals. I focused heavily (but not entirely) on R9s, which resulted in 3 legendary hunger shards, 7 epics, a dozen or so rares, and stacks of around 5-6 of each type of uncommon. Also one woodworking tool and one blacksmithing  tool.

That farming also resulted in somewhere around 500 common sacrifice shards (which effectively have zero value, and mostly were destroyed as junk), one stack of uncommons (of limited value), and maybe 75 total XP in blue+ sacrifice shards that had any use for sacrifice value on decent (blue) vessels.

44 minutes ago, Enoxi said:

• Calling it a bonus from killing also seems to assume that there's some other way of getting leather that's more efficient. There's not. 

I found it was about as efficient if not more to loot trade chests on God's Reach for high-quality leather. Paraphrasing a guild member, "I click F and get 4 epic and 8 rare hides."

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Enoxi said:

This Q&A seemed really out of touch with the concerns around skinning.

Hearing once again that skinning is just a bonus was a slap in the face. Either the devs are out of touch with how it's being done and why, or we're all doing it wrong and need to "get good".

Edited by VaMei

29 minutes ago, VaMei said:

Hearing once again that skinning is just a bonus was a slap in the face. Either the devs are out of touch with how it's being done and why, or we're all doing it wrong and need to "get good".

It sounded to me like they are coming around on the issue. They admitted that the nighttime mobs giving less hide made it more difficult, and recognize the durability concerns as well. When skinnable mobs dropped gold, you could make an argument that it was more balanced, but the drops are almost entirely negligible now. Once majors are removed from the mobs, there will be zero reason to kill them other than for skins.

Of greater concern to me was Blair's assumption that people reporting low tool drops from hunger crystals are doing so based on God's Reach. I have yet to see a hunger crystal in God's Reach. I realize they have a ton on their plate and can't always remember every single thing they put into the game, but for a recorded video where they are answering questions from the community, I would hope they would take a little time to research the best answer rather than just responding off the top of their head and making assumptions about the validity of the community's data.

At the end of the day, these are just balance issues that aren't hard to fix. It's just a matter of convincing the devs that the issue exists. As a programmer myself, I can understand the kneejerk reaction to assume the fault lies on the user's end. I've done it, and it has come back to bite me at times.