• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lanie

Trial of May

Posted (edited)

Possibly one of the biggest questions I've been hearing is quite simply:

Will the next Campaign be part of the 5.9 update, or is the 5.9 update be saved for a future campaign?

This influences a lot of things.  On one hand, there is a lot of concern about the work needed for 5.9, so this either means the next campaign is going to be delayed too long, or the next patch is going to be delivered too early.  On the other hand, there are certain key features in the next patch that a lot of people are wondering if they need to be ready to compensate for.  On my position of this one, I look at the new character creation "accents" and see something that lets me put a bit more flair and flavour to my own vessels, but making use of them will mean making new characters that make use of them, instead of continuing work on current vessels and improving them instead.  Meanwhile, I'm rather positive that, if we held a community survey, most people would vote against using 5.9 in the next campaign, with considerations in regards to how everything is right now.  A yes and no answer has rather significant impacts on how everything will proceed.

I fully expect silence will mean "no idea yet" on the premise that there was some interest in achieving this, with some understanding that it might not be possible, so the idea was to keep going and decide later.  It's also the most likely scenario.  However, having reached the point between campaigns as we are, being left totally in the dark like this isn't exactly being nice to the testers here.  Someone should just make a decision soon and share it with everyone and we can start moving forwards with that as part of the plan for the next campaign.

Edit Below

I should also mention, I have been reading the news of late.  That has done a great job at being confusing in it's own right, even if it at least looked like an attempt to answer this very question.

Edited by Lanie

Milla's Elemental Mastery [Ravens & Crows - See "About Me" Section]:

Spoiler
  • Rosaline: Elemental of Earth, Female Wood-Elf Earth-Keeper, Political Main.
  • Ametrine: Elemental of Fire, Female Nethari Fire-Sanctifer, Endurance Main.
  • Sylphine: Elemental of Air, Female Fae Storm-Caller, Combat Main.
  • Cyandine: Elemental of Water, Female High-Elf Frost-Weaver, Tactical Main.
  • Lumirine: Elemental of Light, Female Human Holy-Crusader, Support Assist.
  • Ebontine: Elemental of Dark, Female Half-Elf Moon-Warden, Survival Assist.

Hmmm.  White knight Mandalore to the rescue!

They are developing a game and they’ve locked themselves into an expectation that there will always be a persistent 24/7 trial going.  Let’s be honest with ourselves, there shouldn’t be and they don’t have to do that.  Their testing needs come before us “playing” and they find themselves and a patch crossroads.  5.90 is a huge patch for them (just like 5.8 and 5.7 and 5.6) and they are close but it needs to be tested.  If there’s a campaign up on live then everybody is “playing” live and only a handful of people are testing test.  So they have to make a choice.  

1.  Do they push an unfinished 5.90 to test and launch a trial?  It will most assuredly go bad and anybody who is playing the trial will be mad for them pushing something so unfinished and bug ridden.  

2.  Do they delay the trial for their needs (a week or two at most) and ensure the large 5.90 bug list is under wraps before launching another trial? 

One of those options is about placating people and costs them money, time and other resources while still trying to do their job (make the game) and the other is them doing their job.  If launching the trials every gets in the way of them pushing content so the game can move forward they should delay every time.  We paid for early access to pre alpha testing and if that becomes liability to the production of the game they should cut us off as needed.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Problem is the differentiation between life and test during alpha, i would just put up inhouse and test for the backers.

This way you get results pretty fast and a feedback overlay menu like in subnautica where you add a screenshot automatically to the ticket that is generated, all ingame.

Subnautica was the best development cycle i ever seen from the first minute to release, clean access to their trello designe boards, 7 day patch cycles or even shorter, and the mentioned bug report tool that was included in the client.

logo_v2_banner.png

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, mandalore said:

Hmmm.  White knight Mandalore to the rescue!

They are developing a game and they’ve locked themselves into an expectation that there will always be a persistent 24/7 trial going.  Let’s be honest with ourselves, there shouldn’t be and they don’t have to do that.  Their testing needs come before us “playing” and they find themselves and a patch crossroads.  5.90 is a huge patch for them (just like 5.8 and 5.7 and 5.6) and they are close but it needs to be tested.  If there’s a campaign up on live then everybody is “playing” live and only a handful of people are testing test.  So they have to make a choice.  

1.  Do they push an unfinished 5.90 to test and launch a trial?  It will most assuredly go bad and anybody who is playing the trial will be mad for them pushing something so unfinished and bug ridden.  

2.  Do they delay the trial for their needs (a week or two at most) and ensure the large 5.90 bug list is under wraps before launching another trial? 

One of those options is about placating people and costs them money, time and other resources while still trying to do their job (make the game) and the other is them doing their job.  If launching the trials every gets in the way of them pushing content so the game can move forward they should delay every time.  We paid for early access to pre alpha testing and if that becomes liability to the production of the game they should cut us off as needed.  

This is well put Mandalore. 

It would be great to get at least an educated guess when it will happen. Yes dealing with all the issues that came up with the new character controller it might be tricky to do an educated guess, but people tend to be MIA somewhere else since Gods Reach is not a place to be for more expierienced players. I hope they all find the way back to us when the time has come...

and please give us those goggles! @thomasblair @vkromas

1 hour ago, Surelia said:

It would be great to get at least an educated guess when it will happen. Yes dealing with all the issues that came up with the new character controller it might be tricky to do an educated guess, but people tend to be MIA somewhere else since Gods Reach is not a place to be for more expierienced players. I hope they all find the way back to us when the time has come...

and please give us those goggles! @thomasblair @vkromas

I saw this check in note when I was compiling patch notes for 5.9 and I thought I'd share:

Added Necro Goggles to War Tribe tables

THEY ARE COMING, Y'ALL! Good on Brandon and Blair for making this specific ask happen. 

Sign in to follow this