Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanboozled

Forced retirement?

Recommended Posts

So, I have had some confusion on the news post of May 3rd. Am I correct in believing this game will be nothing more than slitting my wrists in gods reach to farm dust and embers for at least another week? AKA no campaign or goals until 5.9 is excreted from the "test" server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vanboozled said:

So, I have had some confusion on the news post of May 3rd. Am I correct in believing this game will be nothing more than slitting my wrists in gods reach to farm dust and embers for at least another week? AKA no campaign or goals until 5.9 is excreted from the "test" server?

If people actually tested and didn't pretend this was an actual game we might not be in pre-alpha for another 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, APE said:

If people actually tested and didn't pretend this was an actual game we might not be in pre-alpha for another 4 years.

Woah there Ape, you're asking a lot of people here. /s

But yeah. If you're bored on god's reach get your butts on test and make some legendary gear and go at it. Lots of powers need to be tested with the new update, and we've already found several that need serious tweaking. The more testing, the sooner we get those kinks worked out and the more likely we are to have a smoother campaign when the next one drops.

:3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Heartsteel said:

Woah there Ape, you're asking a lot of people here. /s

I just wish ACE asked more of us. I'm willing to test more if I had some guidance. I feel like it's a waste of my time to go bug hunting randomly when I don't know what was fixed previously, reported, fixed in a future in-house version, etc. I can't imagine this is how actual testing is done. Pretending and playing a "pre-alpha" like it is a finished game is not doing anyone a favor. Oh well, then we get people complaining it's never going to finish and they can't play for a few days...sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, APE said:

I just wish ACE asked more of us. I'm willing to test more if I had some guidance. I feel like it's a waste of my time to go bug hunting randomly when I don't know what was fixed previously, reported, fixed in a future in-house version, etc. I can't imagine this is how actual testing is done. Pretending and playing a "pre-alpha" like it is a finished game is not doing anyone a favor. Oh well, then we get people complaining it's never going to finish and they can't play for a few days...sigh.

I feel you there. I think the biggest issue we have as a community is that we've got so many people with a "play to win" mindset already that they care more about winning the campaigns than getting this game out on live. It sucks but trying to reason with them is like talking to a brick wall. I personally think we should have more time between campaigns like this to get more people on test, since Ace can't actually force people to pick one way or the other. 

Also on the test launcher, there is a list of bug fixes to help keep track, and even then, sometimes those things aren't completely fixed yet. Essentially, if you encounter anything just document it and post it so Ace can see it. At this point, bugs are pretty much random and come up anywhere, so there's not much Ace can do to guide us towards specific things. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, APE said:

feel like it's a waste of my time to go bug hunting randomly

ACE does have a QA team that does structured debugging, I think what they want from the testers is lots of data - players doing whatever they would normally do in the online server environment. We've seen bugs that didn't even show up until the build was stressed at a larger scale ("Take Bug" being the most notorious example from the past).


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vanboozled said:

AKA no campaign or goals until 5.9 is excreted from the "test" server?

TEST has free resources, free discipline runes and armors - so you can quickly level up a basic vessel character with free gold. Good time to test all the Discs that are harder to get now on LIVE, or promotion classes that you haven't tried yet.


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, miraluna said:

ACE does have a QA team that does structured debugging

They might need to step their effort up if some of these rather obvious bugs are making it to test. Assuming they get access to versions prior to test and the public. Is what it is though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, APE said:

They might need to step their effort up if some of these rather obvious bugs are making it to test.

Finding, reproducing, and documenting bugs is not necessarily the same job as fixing bugs (fixes might require engineers, etc) - guessing there is a ginormous backlog of stuff to fix atm and it's a priority decision to balance with new features that are also greatly needed like STORAGE.


tiPrpwh.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, APE said:

I just wish ACE asked more of us. I'm willing to test more if I had some guidance. I feel like it's a waste of my time to go bug hunting randomly when I don't know what was fixed previously, reported, fixed in a future in-house version, etc. I can't imagine this is how actual testing is done. Pretending and playing a "pre-alpha" like it is a finished game is not doing anyone a favor. Oh well, then we get people complaining it's never going to finish and they can't play for a few days...sigh.

Amen.. other than the "High end forums" that the plebes aren't privy too.. we get no direction (and, from what i have heard, even that is suspect). The lack of communication by this team is custard unbelievable...I've been here since it was a countdown timer, so don't tell me about patience. Community management here .. custard sucks.

What if.. We had an active community liason that gave direction, pointed corporate/development/investor directive and encouraged people to follow the actual custard lead they wished us to follow?.... and encouraded it?.. that was active and engaged?

No matter what anyone says (and I'm in for the long haul, I've got 7 custard accounts), this team is poorly made socksing the custard bed. .. Perception in today's gaming ADD/ADHD gaming reality is truth. GET A custard COMMUNITY MANAGER FULL TIME THAT KEEPS PEOPLE ENGAGED AND INFORMED.

For 20+ million dollars raised (I don't want to hear about pulling dollars from development, that's a crutch), ...designate ONE person worth their salt to keekp the community engaged... Dev Tracker.. dead..... Twitter or Social media announcements.... poorly made socks. YOU HAVE A MULTI MEDIA PLATFORM AND YOU SUCK AT GETTING OUT INFO OUT OF EITHER LAZINESS, ANTIPATHY OR SECRECY. 

WE NEED ONE PERSON TO KEEP THE COMMUNITY ENGAGED.... Throw some Austin intern 16K to spam content.. We get poorly made socks from you guys (except a video once a month!).

I love this game, or the idea of it.  But You're poorly made socksting the bed....20+ mil and we have 300 max playing the game (On a good day,.....warning bells?)Community Mangement and interaction was always bad, but it has now become teh absolute suck...

@Tyrant@thomasblair@jtoddcoleman

TLDR: Find it in the budget to pay Some UTA intern a pennance to keep us involved.... because... you're failing.



 


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armegeddon said:

Amen.. other than the "High end forums" that the plebes aren't privy too.. we get no direction (and, from what i have heard, even that is suspect). The lack of communication by this team is custard unbelievable...I've been here since it was a countdown timer, so don't tell me about patience. Community management here .. custard sucks.

What if.. We had an active community liason that gave direction, pointed corporate/development/investor directive and encouraged people to follow the actual custard lead they wished us to follow?.... and encouraded it?.. that was active and engaged?

No matter what anyone says (and I'm in for the long haul, I've got 7 custard accounts), this team is poorly made socksing the custard bed. .. Perception in today's gaming ADD/ADHD gaming reality is truth. GET A custard COMMUNITY MANAGER FULL TIME THAT KEEPS PEOPLE ENGAGED AND INFORMED.

For 20+ million dollars raised (I don't want to hear about pulling dollars from development, that's a crutch), ...designate ONE person worth their salt to keekp the community engaged... Dev Tracker.. dead..... Twitter or Social media announcements.... poorly made socks. YOU HAVE A MULTI MEDIA PLATFORM AND YOU SUCK AT GETTING OUT INFO OUT OF EITHER LAZINESS, ANTIPATHY OR SECRECY. 

WE NEED ONE PERSON TO KEEP THE COMMUNITY ENGAGED.... Throw some Austin intern 16K to spam content.. We get poorly made socks from you guys (except a video once a month!).

I love this game, or the idea of it.  But You're poorly made socksting the bed....20+ mil and we have 300 max playing the game (On a good day,.....warning bells?)Community Mangement and interaction was always bad, but it has now become teh absolute suck...

@Tyrant@thomasblair@jtoddcoleman

TLDR: Find it in the budget to pay Some UTA intern a pennance to keep us involved.... because... you're failing.



 

You went hard my friend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Heartsteel said:

I feel you there. I think the biggest issue we have as a community is that we've got so many people with a "play to win" mindset already that they care more about winning the campaigns than getting this game out on live. It sucks but trying to reason with them is like talking to a brick wall. I personally think we should have more time between campaigns like this to get more people on test, since Ace can't actually force people to pick one way or the other. 

Also on the test launcher, there is a list of bug fixes to help keep track, and even then, sometimes those things aren't completely fixed yet. Essentially, if you encounter anything just document it and post it so Ace can see it. At this point, bugs are pretty much random and come up anywhere, so there's not much Ace can do to guide us towards specific things. 👍

I think making the rewards for winning prob pulled more focus to winning over testing. Have we had a "sanctioned" campaign yet? 

Edited by Marth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armegeddon said:

Amen.. other than the "High end forums" that the plebes aren't privy too.. we get no direction (and, from what i have heard, even that is suspect). The lack of communication by this team is custard unbelievable...I've been here since it was a countdown timer, so don't tell me about patience. Community management here .. custard sucks.

What if.. We had an active community liason that gave direction, pointed corporate/development/investor directive and encouraged people to follow the actual custard lead they wished us to follow?.... and encouraded it?.. that was active and engaged?

No matter what anyone says (and I'm in for the long haul, I've got 7 custard accounts), this team is poorly made socksing the custard bed. .. Perception in today's gaming ADD/ADHD gaming reality is truth. GET A custard COMMUNITY MANAGER FULL TIME THAT KEEPS PEOPLE ENGAGED AND INFORMED.

For 20+ million dollars raised (I don't want to hear about pulling dollars from development, that's a crutch), ...designate ONE person worth their salt to keekp the community engaged... Dev Tracker.. dead..... Twitter or Social media announcements.... poorly made socks. YOU HAVE A MULTI MEDIA PLATFORM AND YOU SUCK AT GETTING OUT INFO OUT OF EITHER LAZINESS, ANTIPATHY OR SECRECY. 

WE NEED ONE PERSON TO KEEP THE COMMUNITY ENGAGED.... Throw some Austin intern 16K to spam content.. We get poorly made socks from you guys (except a video once a month!).

I love this game, or the idea of it.  But You're poorly made socksting the bed....20+ mil and we have 300 max playing the game (On a good day,.....warning bells?)Community Mangement and interaction was always bad, but it has now become teh absolute suck...

@Tyrant@thomasblair@jtoddcoleman

TLDR: Find it in the budget to pay Some UTA intern a pennance to keep us involved.... because... you're failing.



 

Nice idea and all, but I think you guys are really missing what pre-alpha testing is. The devs are pumping out content to see what works with basic gameplay mechanics, and as testers, it's our job to TEST. It's literally our job to go out and break the game any way we can find possible. This is what brings things to their attention that may have been overlooked or accidentally changed while updating or rewriting code. Asking Ace to hold our hands, yeah no. You can't expect Ace to know every single bug, they didn't place them there intentionally like a damn scavenger hunt. If you're expecting someone to guide you to bugs like a quest helper, then pre-alpha testing setting just isn't for you, which is great, but don't sit here and ask to be accommodated for.

What I'm starting to see is a lot of people who are here basically looking for a live game in a testing phase. Ace shouldn't have to constantly pump out live campaigns for you all just to play while important bugs and mechanic issues don't get addressed because y'all would rather get badges than help the game get to a launch state. If you don't want to test, great. But don't complain when Ace basically begs us to test by not putting up a live campaign.

TLDR; Ace ain't here to hold your hand, get on test and break the game so we can find what Ace needs to fix so we can get to launch phase sooner instead of being stuck in pre-alpha for the next 4 years while you nards fight over badges.

👍

Edited by Heartsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marth said:

I think making the rewards for winning prob pulled more focus to winning over testing. Have we had a "sanctioned" campaign yet? 

I would argue people playing to win has outlined some issues bug wise and game mechanic wise.

I think its valid for testers to want some guidance. Usually patch notes would be an ideal method but they are usually woefully incomplete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, APE said:

If people actually tested and didn't pretend this was an actual game we might not be in pre-alpha for another 4 years.

Reported for the murder of a fellow community member. 


40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ussiah said:

I would argue people playing to win has outlined some issues bug wise and game mechanic wise.

I think its valid for testers to want some guidance. Usually patch notes would be an ideal method but they are usually woefully incomplete.

True it showed meta / strats / bugs that are cheesy. IE Batista, scoring so forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, APE said:

If people actually tested and didn't pretend this was an actual game we might not be in pre-alpha for another 4 years.

I understand that people can be put off by the amount of effort dedicated players are willing to put into campaigns but it is the single best way to test the game.

When playing a campaign you are testing all the game systems ; leveling, resource gathering, crafting, outposts, forts, keeps, PvP, PvE and exploring.   The Test server is fine and can help to identify a focused set of obvious problems but without running through all the game loops you are not fully testing anything.   It's too bad there isn't some coordination or direction for testing since the server will be up for so long.

The amount of time the game stays in pre-alpha is based on the ability of the dev team to design, plan and implement.    The biggest impact so far appears to be the morphing design and not the lack of testers.


 

Edited by rutaq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Heartsteel said:

I feel you there. I think the biggest issue we have as a community is that we've got so many people with a "play to win" mindset already that they care more about winning the campaigns than getting this game out on live. It sucks but trying to reason with them is like talking to a brick wall.

 

15 hours ago, Heartsteel said:

Nice idea and all, but I think you guys are really missing what pre-alpha testing is. The devs are pumping out content to see what works with basic gameplay mechanics, and as testers, it's our job to TEST. It's literally our job to go out and break the game any way we can find possible. This is what brings things to their attention that may have been overlooked or accidentally changed while updating or rewriting code. Asking Ace to hold our hands, yeah no. You can't expect Ace to know every single bug, they didn't place them there intentionally like a damn scavenger hunt. If you're expecting someone to guide you to bugs like a quest helper, then pre-alpha testing setting just isn't for you, which is great, but don't sit here and ask to be accommodated for.👍

I believe you slightly contradicted yourself with the these 2 posts. The play to win mindset is breaking the game in any way possible. I don't mean using bugs or exploits to win (when exploits and bugs are found report them) but finding every way to use the legit mechanics of the game to win. This shows the devs whether or not the features and systems are working the way they intended or if they over looked something during design. I understand players being frustrated because they feel that they are only playing to test and that is hampered by others "Playing to Win". What I feel these frustrated players don't realize is instead of just giving up out of frustration or finding excuses why they can't play, they should instead be playing to win as well as that is the best way to test all the intended features and get them ironed out if they aren't working. If the entire community was non competitive then the devs wouldn't see if the game design is working like they hoped it would until launch. By treating the testing as if it were a Live game and playing  you are actually giving them the testing data they need. This is the point I believe you made with your 2nd post while your 1st post seems to go against this idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...