Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DiamondDog

[Opinion] Not a fan of the passive skill system

Posted (edited)

I'm new to the alpha so i might be missing something but the passive system is kinda a bummer. I feel like i should just go play another game until i have more skill points, sure i can harvest and kill things but I like crafting and my skill in crafting is based on how long my character has been created? 

I don't feel connected to my own progress... I know this may be for balance (Which IS super important) but I just feel like there is no challenge to rank up skills. I'll be a master woodworker in (X) days regardless of what i do. I never have to cut down a single tree.... ???

Maybe some sort of hybrid would work? Passive combat skills/ active crafting skils??? No idea really...   

Personally I'd love it if my crafting skills for leather were only ranked up with leather crafting. Tree chopping by cutting down trees, etc... Anyways just an opinion.  

I really do love the old SWG crafting style =D Looking forward to watching this game grow. Keep up the great work guys!  

EDIT: I play on 'God's reach'

Edited by DiamondDog

try joining a campaign against maxed crafters as a fresh account... after 2 days you will lose the rest of the fights for the campaign.. gear/vessel>class>your skill... you need to make friends in this game as a late comer or its GG. passive wipe will help but it will all happen again in time. with no friends go farm gold and buy crafting gear.. its the best way to progress your crafting fast.

Congratulations Your The 1 Millionth person to make this exact thread.

Your reward!? The same sarcastic retorts as all the others and the ability to not carry on this conversation in any meaningful way since everyone else has already talked this topic into the ground a billion times over.

Welcome To the Forums, you will find the search bar in the top right of the page.

In SWG, there was a skill tree system with a limited number of skill points to spend, and a limit of one character per server. Those limitations are what made the concept of role specialization work in SWG - you could not be everything.

Crowfall does not have a limitation on professions (eventually you can train everything) or number of characters. CF uses the passive time gate to create the role specialization. If you could XP grind it all, everyone would max out all the trees as fast as possible to try to be 100% self sufficient. The goal is the same as SWG - you have to choose what to focus on and work with other players that choose different specializations.

While you are training your passive skills, you should be working on all the other things you need to be a top crafter - crafting discs, higher tier vessel, armor set with specialty seals, jewelry, and accessories. And the most important part - make some friends so you'll have a network of customers and suppliers. If you think being a good crafter in CF is only about the passive skill tree, you haven't spent enough time learning the systems yet :)

Post-launch there will be a catch-up system added for new players that join the game late.

tiPrpwh.png

as someone who only started the game a few months ago I disagree. I have had no problem finding productive things to do and participate in. If anything the issues are with the active lvling system not the passive one.

" If you think being a good crafter in CF is only about the passive skill tree, you haven't spent enough time learning the systems yet " - Miraluna

Your right, I did think all my skill was in the passive system. I will try 'late game' crafting.

I'm playing on god's reach... once a campaign starts again I'll join up and see how it goes. ( I hear the loot is better 😃 )

Just a FYI, Gods reach isn't a server. It’s a noob friendly/veteran timeout “campaign”. The only servers are NA or EU

5 hours ago, DiamondDog said:

" If you think being a good crafter in CF is only about the passive skill tree, you haven't spent enough time learning the systems yet " - Miraluna

Your right, I did think all my skill was in the passive system. I will try 'late game' crafting.

I'm playing on god's reach... once a campaign starts again I'll join up and see how it goes. ( I hear the loot is better 😃 )

From a non-crafter's perspective, Crafting appears to be about stat stacking from various forms.

Race choice, Vessel Quality/Stats + leveling to 30, Gear Stats, Crafting Disciplines, along with Passive Training all make up a Crafter.

Then there are the actual resources and special components needed to craft that come from Harvesting and grinding on monsters.

Then there is actually understanding what different materials do and how to fight the evil RNG gods. How many pips do you use for what. When to reroll. What stats do what and what do people want. Etc.

All of this requires outside assistance in one form or another so a group/guild or connection to the economy is necessary.

Passive training is just one piece of the puzzle.

IMO, it isn't even needed in such a design now that they've added in other systems and I'd rather see some sort of in-game/active system to replace it. Down the line they are supposed to have catch up mechanics and other things for new players which kind of defeats the purpose/benefit of passive training in some ways.

I'd rather have a limited amount of training per account or some way to actually require us to specialize. Like you can only be 90-100% in 1 craft, 75-89% in a second, and 50-74% in a third. But we could transfer some of our training to a different path every so often (month/couple campaigns) and take some sort of hit to the total so it came at a cost. This would still encourage specializing, incentive for more accounts, keep people from eventually being able to do a lot on one account, and allow some flexibility over time.

However, as is, you need to actually play the game and not simply wait for passive training to happen. Unless you have people to hand you everything and you understand every aspect of crafting without actually doing it... I'm not a crafter so I'm sure my view is limited as is, but despite the benefits of Passive Training, there is a lot more to it.

Posted (edited)

There is so much more to crafting, other than just the passive skills, race/class abilities are huge as well using the right character for the right profession. 

Strength, Dexterity and Int all affect your crafting stats, you can see how much per point in the details panel under the crafting tab.  Now we have specialty seals, I have only messed around with green seals, and a not so great runemaker, but it seems quite easy to get another 10 points per profession with those, probably closer to 20 points with high end seals.

I have not used alot of jewelry but I believe there is alot of rings and such that also boost those stats

The passive tree is important dont get me wrong, but I bet more than half your points come from "other stuff" and you dont have to fill up all of one tree to start. For example say you like playing a half giant strength character and you want him to be a blacksmith, His Assembly points, is affected by his strength, which you would have alot of while his Experimentation success is affected by his int, which you are probably not going to have a ton of.. so you could just focus on experimentation success in the tree at first, without worrying about the other stuff too much.

My only tree that is 100 is necromancy, and I can tell you that I am basically capped assembly and experimentation on a green vessel at 22, the only things the vessel has is the right racial/class for necro, and the points in the right attributes... no rings, no specialty seals, with room for levels... 8 more which would just mean more points, and 3 higher teirs of vessels... which just means more points... There is alot of wiggle room atm 

Edited by seastodd

I apologize for my earlier retort. I guess it turns out people can decide to have a civil conversation about these things sometimes, and not just turn everything into a massive flame war.

Color me surprised.

1 minute ago, ShadowwBoi13 said:

I apologize for my earlier retort. I guess it turns out people can decide to have a civil conversation about these things sometimes, and not just turn everything into a massive flame war.

Color me surprised.

Some people understand the value and absolute need for new blood for game success and growth...There's being a niche and there's having 500 people on one server post launch until they close the game down.

NPE and basics of the game are far from clear considering the design they are going with.

Someone brand new that doesn't watch/read everything out there across youtube, twitch, official site, forums, gaming sites, twitter, email might not know a Crafter is more than just Passive Training. Plenty of people backed during KS or after that might have spent little time over the last 4 years paying attention.

Obviously people could do a bit of digging to find answers, but even then actual official answers are few and far between on many subjects. Leaving different fan opinions to be fact/truth when they might not be.

Not to say OP might simply not like the Passive system regardless, but if they don't have a proper understanding of the greater design, they might be missing the reasoning and might end up accepting it as is and moving along. Unfortunately much of the design is that way. Devs like it so we accept it or don't stick around.