Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xcomvic

League of Legend Players (ok, DOTA2 and any other MOBA)

MOBAs  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are MOBA players (League, DOTA2, Heroes, etc) dedicated PvPers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (please write a response below!)
  2. 2. Would you like to see this style of gameplay (Instant Action PvP) in this game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends ( please write a response below!)

So let me start off with I am a pretty dedicated League Player, I've dabbled into DOTA2, just wasn't for me. Heroes of the Storm I think is pretty great but it lost my interest and I went back to League (it's a different game altogether).

I have two questions for the community:

1)Are MOBA players dedicated PvPers? I mean, for the most part, that's ALL you do, instant action PvP available whenever the servers are up and running 100% :)

2)If you think so, could you see that style of gameplay in an Open World MMO setting ?

If not, why not?

For me, the reason I go to LoL, is because I can pick up a quick game for PvP anytime. I can scratch at that PvP itch of mine anytime I want. I don't have to "waste" time on grinding or obtaining gear. Sure there's a grind to LoL, for champs and runes, but that's a bit different because you can literally start PvPing at level one. 

I think it has made me an excellent PvPer (even though I did play Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, World of Warcraft, Aion, and countless others for PvP as well) as well as being forced to cooperate with a team, it's made me a teamplayer (although I am not immune to the Rage Meter filling up inside me)

No instancing or phasing, I implore you, good sirs.

And, for context, I'm a huge MOBA fan.  I have spent hundreds of hours in LoL, and now even more hours (and money :( ) on Smite.  As much as I love that gameplay, I don't want just a MMO version of the same thing that I can already get a fix of for free for an hour a day.  I'm wanting a grand strategy game in a seamless world.  Not just an arena BG experience that 328,939,299 MMOs/MOBAs/FPSs already offer.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

No instancing or phasing, I implore you, good sirs.

And, for context, I'm a huge MOBA fan.  I have spent hundreds of hours in LoL, and now even more hours (and money :( ) on Smite.  As much as I love that gameplay, I don't want just a MMO version of the same thing that I can already get a fix of for free for an hour a day.  I'm wanting a grand strategy game in a seamless world.  Not just an arena BG experience that 328,939,299 MMOs/MOBAs/FPSs already offer.

I meant more like an OPEN-WORLD Instant Action MMO

I don't know if I'd say hardcore PvPers. To a certain degree yes. MOBAs aren't necessarily built in the same style as these types of PvP though. For all we know, we could be using a battle board, or timed commands. In a way, I feel that we've certainly got the playstyle and communication aspects down. As far as technical skill in the game goes... I'm skeptical. I don't know if I'd like to see instant action in game though. Too many misclicks, miscommunications and technical problems like ping speed and the person's reaction time. I just don't think it's going to fit in with this game (not that we know much about it).

Short answer: In a way, MOBA players have the communication/personal skills (or lack thereof) commonly attributed to hardcore PvPers... The skill, it can't be judged right now as the game's not released yet.

FishSignature_zpsb20b4dec.jpg

It's not that I don't like MOBAs (I have 5k games played on LoL, 700 hours on DotA 2, 400 hours on SMITE, and about 50 games on Heroes of the Storm), but I just don't think it can be labelled as hardcore PvP. It can be competitive, but to me hardcore PvP means that there is risk involved.

At least for me, hardcore PvP needs to involve a player being at risk of dying, and losing something, or a player being allowed to kill other players, no matter where they are. 

EOWWuhQ.png 

MOBA's are my thing, and here's my opinion on them:

I can't label any game or genre as hardcore, as that's the player's dedication. In all games, there's dedicated players, there's casual, and there's anywhere inbetween. The same goes with MOBA's: there's the players who study the metagame, analyze detailed aspects of the game, and there's the ones that play just for fun. 

I'd say hardcore players, are ones that are willing to invest alot of time into getting a better understanding of said game. The community is generally based off of the professional player's opinions on things, which most people agree with. Disagreeing will just get flamers yelling "You suck, you're low elo and you think you know more than someone better than you?", so there's not a positive way to share your opinion. Streaming is gigantic in the genre, as again, professional players dictate the scene. My general conclusion is that more people watch someone, than do it themselves.

Hardcore? Wouldn't say the entire population is. Definitely dedicated into improving their play? Absolutely.

I'm a MOBA hater I'm sorry. I like to nerd-grind my gear, nerd-develop my character, and open world pvp/pk/raiding/siege/etc. A bunch of nopes for any MOBA-related thing.

This is a bit of a strange subject.

I Am an avid moba fan. Cut my teeth on Heroes of Newerth (yes, skipped the original dota mod with wcIII).

I play a lot of league of legends (in fact in a game now , just waiting for it to load up).

I love pvp in mmorpgs, but it really really needs some kind of structure to it, a system of risks/rewards and meangingful reasons to do it or not.

Taking over land, razing an enemy guilds village, protecting neutral factions, etc.

Games like League of Legends an dother moba's are fun because they are quick, easy to pick up and play a short bit when you want to, they don't need a ton of reason behind the pvp aspect.

I play a ton of Smite and do a lot of analysis work for the competitive community.  It gives me that competitive PvP experience I need.

But there's more to a MMO than just the PvP, which is why I would want to play it over just playing Smite forever.

The Sundered Guard-"Nature's Sword, the People's Shield"-Ranger's Brotherhood of Shadowbane, Mourning Server

Listen to CrowCast-A Crowfall Podcast
Crowfall1_zps3d24a64d.jpg

I play a ton of Smite and do a lot of analysis work for the competitive community.  It gives me that competitive PvP experience I need.

But there's more to a MMO than just the PvP, which is why I would want to play it over just playing Smite forever.

Right.  Smite, and other arena style, match-based games will still be around when I want to partake.  But, I'd like Crowfall to be more.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I love playing League, but I'm not looking for the same thing when I come to an RPG.  I definitely want to participate in more than just PVP.

Above all, I think I want PVP to feel purposeful and make sense in the setting.  Real people don't randomly start fights with each other in the middle of a busy city street, for instance.  There could certainly be a training ground or arena where you go for MOBA-style tournaments, but instantly popping into PVP anywhere ... I don't know about that.  At the least, you shouldn't be able to attack just anybody without some kind of consequence -- maybe their allies come after you, or the town watch gets upset, or something.  I don't just want fights, I want a *world* where people can have fights if they're brave enough to pick them.

xd9u37.jpg

Moba style fighting won't work in MMOs. 

Not sure about that. Shadowbane was MOBA style combat. The term MOBA just wasn't out there at the time.

3rd person view. While the camera could be panned around it was centered on the character. Click to move.

I would personally like to see Shadowbane's combat system come back with enhancements. Fog of war, juking, disjoints, etc.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.