Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Stormcaller needs a helping hand

Stormcaller is pretty decent at what it does, however it needs a small helping hand with some weird design choices and certain powers that simply dont work

Faerie Flames: Reduced physical mitigation's which is worthless for a stormcaller but not earthkeeper, i suggest adding in a different power option that reduces elemental resistances in the slot where ritual sacrifice currently is to give variety and make it usable for all specs 

Sacrifice+Ritual Sacrifice: Sacrifice is absolutely worthless in all situations, 20% health for 20% essence, in comparison to ritual sacrifice which trades 8% health for 20% essence leaving a stormcaller with no option but to spend a point here, i suggest deleting sacrifice and just replacing it with ritual sacrifice as the base power and replacing the old ritual slot in the talent tree with a faerie flames alternative, this would help every spec in the early game with the massive sustain issues they have

Lightning Burst: Good on paper bad in reality, its hard to land since it acts like gaea's wail and doesnt land well on moving targets and the opening animation takes way to long as well taking at minimum half the timer for the 2nd chain power, just cut down on the animation and fix its targeting

Gaea's Wail: Literally impossible to land on a moving target and on still targets at different elevations, its a very strong power on dummies but needs work to be actually usable in the field, fixed targeting and half the channel time

Storm  Avatar: Very strong power and definitely needs a cooldown however 5 minutes i feel is too long, lower avatar fatigues to 3 minutes please

Natures Grace: Very long timer for a 12 second power, if you want a 68 second cooldown on it please raise it to 3-4% per each basic hit or decrease the timer 

Leeching Seed: Decent power however its range isnt in line with the rest of stormcallers kit, requiring a very squishy ranged class to be within 8m of a target is kinda suicide in a tough fight, increase range to 30m please, if you think its too op then remove the damage bonus decrease and leave the slow

Hot foot(illusionist passive): Druid basics are the only thing that doesnt work with this since we only have 1 basic hit instead of 3, i suggest making it apply a stack of hot foot on each basic for everyone and when it reaches 3 it applies the slow

Electrogenesis: Another good on paper bad in reality power, stormcallers have no support power so the orbs it drops are very bad heal wise along with being hard to pick up, i suggest making them scale with ap instead and make them more responsive so i dont need to run over then 4 times to pick them up

hoayaga2.jpg

Posted (edited)

stormcaller has no meaningful unique flavour or utility [and severe tray restrictions] and just stacks multiple long cooldown powers with an unsustainable LMB

my previous suggestions within existing tech:

• have the promotion unlock a new style of LMB - essentially acting as a charge and shoot 'electric bow'
    [e.g. charging and throwing lightning bolts zeus style]

• give the class a 'shield' themed power e.g. a (ranged) RMB style templar 'parry and counter attack'
    [e.g. a lightning shield 'redirect flow' style power]

• a passive that generates barriers to self/group based on damage done
    (like templar's devotion)

or

grants a buff to allies that restores health/resource when they hit the enemy for the next X number of hits
    (e.g. old legio 'discipline/command' buff system)

• change the proc orbs from green to yellow [more hp and resource generation buff] perhaps make the stormcaller version an AoE around target that picks it up.
Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Staff and I have been testing stormcaller on test lately, and building on what Staff has suggested here's my take:

Faerie Flames is a good power, but for use as a druid, it falls flat. Stormcaller and Archdruid don't use any form of physical damage, so reducing physical mitigations becomes rather moot. My suggestion would be to either add an upgrade option where the power can be changed to elemental mitigations or add another power for said mitigations. Granted, the latter option seems a bit op.

Sacrifice just doesn't work in actual use. 20 for 20 at the lower levels typically results in death or a close call in PvE. Once it's upgraded to 8 for 20, then it's great. I say lower levels because you can upgrade it pretty quickly, but it just feels like a talent point wasted. Going back to Faerie Flames, I would give an alternate or upgraded flames the ritual sacrifice slot and just have druid start with ritual sacrifice, but change it to 10% damage for 20% essence.

Lightning Burst and Wail both suffer from the same targeting issue which has already been addressed in another topic, nothing to really change on stats. The only complaint would be Lightning burst's animation. The first cast takes up about half of the time you get to make the second cast, and sometimes it bugs out and doesn't let you chain it. I would either shorten the animation or make the timer longer to account for that.

Storm Avatar or any of the abilities that result in Avatar Fatigue should be reduced to 3 minutes instead of 5. Unless it's a siege, most battles don't even last 5 minutes.

Nature's Grace and Electrogenesis go hand in hand in my opinion. Either Nature's Grace needs a reduced cooldown or Electrogenesis orbs need buffed and tweaked for pickup. Stormcaller feels like the real glass cannon of the game, but in a sense that once you lose that health it's a pain to get back without constantly bandaging.

Leeching Seed is one that I actually don't have issues with, I usually don't use it until my enemy is a little closer to me and I've landed a few good hits anyways, but I can see where different tactics would want the distance buff.

Really aside from what's been addressed, I don't see anything else wrong with the class. It's definitely viable and with a good team behind it, definitely, one to be wary of.

As for independent thought on stormcaller, when I think druid I don't think wild lightning mage. Something about the class just doesn't line up with the other two subclasses, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe someone else feels the same?

Does this this talent not exist anymore? ntDpc95.jpg

12 hours ago, Heartsteel said:

Nature's Grace and Electrogenesis go hand in hand in my opinion. Either Nature's Grace needs a reduced cooldown or Electrogenesis orbs need buffed and tweaked for pickup. Stormcaller feels like the real glass cannon of the game, but in a sense that once you lose that health it's a pain to get back without constantly bandaging.

Remember classes won't be balanced around solo play, these are a nice addition, while playing with a healer.

If you take the increased orb healing talent, your orbs as stormcaller will also heal more.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

5 minutes ago, Yumx said:

Does this this talent not exist anymore? ntDpc95.jpg

Remember classes won't be balanced around solo play, these are a nice addition, while playing with a healer.

If you take the increased orb healing talent, your orbs as stormcaller will also heal more.

Lightning bugs is nice, but it's only for stormcaller. Just move lightning bugs to be an all-subclass ability in replacement of the original sacrifice power.

And yeah, the classes aren't intended for solo running, but the orbs only give 180 on a white vessel after the bonus, and rolling spirit on a int based class that relies on damage would be kinda a waste. Not too mention that they're bugged and you have to walk over them 20 times to get them to pick up.