Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
IdefixCZ

exploration - mapmaking

Our guild has a discord channel where we put screenshots of various important locations (r10 resources mostly) and that got me thinking - it'd be quite cool to let people put "pins" on locations they find important and make maps in order to share these pins. It would help a lot with exploration, allow solo players to be useful explorers, create new trade opportunities and with public banks/vendors even enable geocasching.

Exploration tree could have unlock pin slots, the ability to reveal resources on there maps and things like that. (Also feel the game should have fog of war at start so you have to locate everything at start so explorers can get larger reveal distance aswell and things.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Map making and Fog of War were planned a long time ago. One version of the map actually had more things visible as well.

Could be they just want the basic map visible to all now to make it easier for testing, but no idea what their future plans are.

Seems they want to make "Exploration" more than Harvesting so hopefully we'll see more eventually.

13 hours ago, APE said:

Map making and Fog of War were planned a long time ago. One version of the map actually had more things visible as well.

Could be they just want the basic map visible to all now to make it easier for testing, but no idea what their future plans are.

Seems they want to make "Exploration" more than Harvesting so hopefully we'll see more eventually.

Back in February, I believe, JTodd basically said they weren't going to be messing with the scouting/mapmaking/fog of war mechanic at all before launch, if ever. Let me see if I can find that quote. It really disappointed me honestly, because I followed this game for so long and that was really one system that stood apart to me. 

Talk about a role/specialization that would allow a niche for small group or skillful solo players to pull off... 

Here we go, he didn't expressly state that they were abandoning cartography but he basically stated that he's choosing not to worry about it right now:

On 1/31/2019 at 3:13 PM, jtoddcoleman said:

Yeah, I have a problem.  I have two different design goals and they are diametrically opposed.  I want to be able to expose the strategy game information to everyone, even to people who aren't even playing in the Campaign -- but if I show the maps, that makes it pretty impossible to hide them at the same time.  So instead I was leaning towards a hybrid approach: show the maps and the major features (mountains, roads, strongholds, etc) and hide the details until someone claims them (outposts, etc).  I could also throw other things into the mix, like resources and mob spawners -- you'll probably recall they had them in previous versions.

We had fog of war, and it was kind of cool, but frankly it didn't last more than hour once a new map came up.  so when I hit the conflict between these two design goals, I decided that showing the strategy game was more important, and I gave that priority.  I like the idea, though, so I will continue to look for opportunities to use it (or a variation of it) in the future.

Todd

10 hours ago, Samulus said:

Back in February, I believe, JTodd basically said they weren't going to be messing with the scouting/mapmaking/fog of war mechanic at all before launch, if ever. Let me see if I can find that quote. It really disappointed me honestly, because I followed this game for so long and that was really one system that stood apart to me. 

Talk about a role/specialization that would allow a niche for small group or skillful solo players to pull off... 

That is unfortunate.