Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minke

[Poll] Which type of tutorial you'd like to see?

If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?

• Races, classes, class-specialization
    • Harvesting
    • Crafting
    • Character development (leveling, talents, disciplines)
    • Skill tree
    • Other, add it in the comments!

Do you remember the feeling the moment you logged in the first time to Crowfall? The time you spent to learn the ropes: Character control. How does this skill tree work? How do I craft? How should I distribute my skill points?
This is the feeling of each and every new crow that joins our Community. What could help them today to get into the game with more ease?

We want to know from you: If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?

Your TG CM Team

YdzD5uN.png?1

PbKpXpA.png?1     imageedit_20_2716316726-facebook-icon.pn     ikon1_twitter-ikon.png     ikon1_discord-chat-for-gamers-ikon.png     ikon1_youtube-for-android-tv-ikon.png     QaML5n5.png?1

Posted (edited)

The most important idea a new player has to understand is that they need to socialize as soon as possible. So tutorial about social activities, how to find a guild, where to find help from other players (chat/forum/discord/etc), how crafters and harvesters are dependent on each other, how combatants are dependent on the first two is the most important.

Edited by ComradeAma

Posted (edited)

I think you need all of it. 

I get that the starter zone is kinda sorta designed to be a linear experience that teaches some of this but I think you need prompts that actually stops the user at the different locations and teaches them a bit more.

Don't let them zone out of the starter area until they complete it sorta thing. Then you definitely need the ability to skip it if you're a veteran player. 

I went through this in my mind of how to best teach all of these things and this is what I came up with below. Hope this helps. 

1. Race / class tutorial when making first character. 
  2. First thing when zoning in you teach harvesting. 
    1. Hit trees to get wood, dust and apples.
    2. Explain the plentiful harvest pips and season modifiers. 
    3. Open details tab and view harvesting stats. 
  3. After gathering 3 wood, teach crafting by crafting an axe. 
    1. Open details tab to show crafting stats. 
  4. Gather more wood to craft a pick, hammer, and knife. 
    1. Gather stone/wood to craft basic weapons. 
  5. Craft basic weapons
  6. Move to next area and kill monsters and skin them. 
    1. Gather enough leather to make a full intermediate armor set. 
  7. Move to next area which has some advanced R1 nodes and teach about those.
    1. Harvest enough materials to make intermediate weapons. 
  8. Send player to intermediate crafting station in this same area.
    1. Craft intermediate weapons and armor. Explain the experimentation system, risk system, etc. 
  9. At this point the player has done some combat, crafting and gathering. Direct them to the skill tree to begin training in the areas they enjoyed the most. 
  10. At some point the player has gained some levels also. Prompt them to add attribute points and talent points. 
    1. When adding talent points and buying skills prompt them to the hotbar loadout screen to arrange new abilities. 
  11. Vendor at end of tutorial area before portal which has starter minor discipline runes for each class. Have player get one of these disc runes from vendor and apply it. Teach them to find the passive ability and slot it. 
  12. Once complete, direct player to runegate (which teaches them about runegates) to zone out of the starter area. 
Edited by blazzen

2 hours ago, Minke said:

We want to know from you: If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?

Depends on what kind of tutorial you are talking about.

one overall starter video tutorial? a starter video tutorial series, with the question which one first? a text/images tutorial in the forums or the lobby?
or
an ingame tutorial?

My answer would strongly depend on that - they are very different things.

But in general, the beginner issue i heard most often about was that they simply don't know what to do. Because at the beginning they can nearly do nothing. So out of this list my general answer would be character development.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

When new players ask 'how do I do [this]', that's easy for us to answer. When new players ask 'what do I do now?', that's harder to answer short of taking them by the hand and leading them.

Teach them that this is not a theme park, it's a sandbox.

Posted (edited)

Vessels, this term is so foreign to a new player and the whole concept is really.

I know of no other game that has a mechanic like necromancy in it, and well it is really important in this game.  At least give the new player some type of idea of what people are talking about when they are talking about purple bodies and such

To me that first green vessel is like getting your first flying mount in World of Warcraft, its a total game changer and well you should prepare for it out of the gate, by getting around people who can make them or focusing on saving your gold so you could buy one.  In WoW its obvious you log in you see people flying around on Dragons and you are like I want one.. in this game that kicking gold body is not quite so obvious to a new player

Edited by seastodd

Trail by fire makes a much more interesting experience. The hand holding needs to end imo. Discovery, success, and failure are apart of the fun. The community will eventually provide all the guides needed anyway.

Just put up the proper warning *This game is meant to be played with others, solo players will struggle* and all will be well. 

3 hours ago, Kraahk said:

Depends on what kind of tutorial you are talking about.

But in general, the beginner issue i heard most often about was that they simply don't know what to do. Because at the beginning they can nearly do nothing. So out of this list my general answer would be character development.

In general – we do not focus on any specific type of tutorials (yet).
So basically your last sentence is the answer we're looking for. :)

YdzD5uN.png?1

PbKpXpA.png?1     imageedit_20_2716316726-facebook-icon.pn     ikon1_twitter-ikon.png     ikon1_discord-chat-for-gamers-ikon.png     ikon1_youtube-for-android-tv-ikon.png     QaML5n5.png?1

I dont get the whole in the beginning they can do nearly nothing thing,  like Kraahk mentioned. I hear that also but to me especially for a game like this the progression is quite obvious as long as you know how to right click on the tree and open the crafting menu, considering it says right click to harvest when you hold your cursor over it that should not be that hard to figure out either.

Than as long as the new player is at least willing to look at the crafting menu to make basic gear they should be on their way. Kill stuff get xp, get better gear (by focusing on crafting or just grinding gold and buying it), find groups, kill stuff with groups. pvp, seige timers now, explore the world, figure out passive skill trees, figure out what those tabs of stats actually mean...

Seems like there is a ton to do for any new player that is not looking to log in.. see the exclamation point above the dude, and than just expect to follow those exclamation points till they are fully leveled and geared. 

Posted (edited)

I think there are a few easy ways to do this without overwhelming new players and giving them more than enough to begin experimenting on their own. This is more of a flow chart into how I think it should be presented as not to be swapping in and out of menus, while displaying the various means of harvesting:

Starting Zone Tutorial:

• Show them where to get starting axes and their purpose for being there.
    • Chop some trees and gather resources (mushrooms/dust)
  • Kill and loot a few (2-3) spiders, and then loot chests around campfire.
    • This is a good time to pause for a bit, and break down the hunger system.
    • Show them crafting menu, make food, and tools (knife, hammer, pick)
  • Kill a few more spiders to push level
    • Demonstrate skinning here as well
  • Harvest a few Slag/Cobble/Hunger Crystals while proceeding to 1st Sacrifice fire.
    • Demonstrate sacrifice system using various spider drops/sacrifice crystals/extra food
  • Break down leveling
    • Spending stat points and discuss values/stats available/go into detail tab and showcase those briefly
    • Showcase talent tree as well (including Disciplines for 5.9 release) and the promotion classes to build towards.
  • Send them to the Temple

Temple Area Tutorial:

• Show them target dummies area, and variety of harvest node types (ore/stone/trees)
  • Hit the vendors, where to buy a mount/disciplines/food items/etc...
  • End with Basic Crafting table
    • Basic Weapon Assembly right into Intermediate.
    • Craft Intermediate Armor (One white set and a green piece to show stat difference from rarity)
    • Show them how the passive tree plays into success rate/failure.
    • Go down the different crafting trees in passive with a brief breakdown. This gives a player with a full dose of the basics and that there is plenty to build on.
    • After this you could cut to the crafting tables at the keep *A LOT OF QUESTIONS INGAME ARE FROM THIS* show them profession specialized places to craft and broad-strokes in advanced crafting.

I feel like this is more than enough to get most of the questions answered for a new player, and get them going. I feel like the UI at character creation would take a lot of the guesswork out of that for a new player as well... you should know what you're getting from racials off the bat. My suggestion would be maybe putting the Racial Runestone next to the character.

Edited by Allinavi
table reference loation

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Allinavi said:

After this you could cut to Keep crafting tables *A LOT OF QUESTIONS INGAME ARE FROM THIS* show them profession specialized places to craft and broad-strokes in advanced crafting.

The fact that people still call them "Keep Crafting Tables" shows that people are still missing something important.  I mean, every new account right now automatically gets enough land and buildings to place 9 crafting stations inside (one small house, two big halls with four spots).

Spoiler
  1. Runemaking
  2. Necromancy
  3. Alchemy
  4. Stonemasonry
  5. Woodworking
  6. Blacksmithing
  7. Leatherworking
  8. Jewelcrafting
  9. Cooking

The fact everyone thinks that it's Keep or nothing still has me baffled.  EK isn't as convenient as having a crafting station sitting happily right there in the same world, but it's a whole lot safer and a lot more guaranteed (keeps can be taken).  In this, I wonder if even existing players need a good tutorial on how the EK works.

Edited by Lanie

Milla's Elemental Mastery [Ravens & Crows - See "About Me" Section]:

Spoiler
  • Rosaline: Elemental of Earth, Female Wood-Elf Earth-Keeper, Political Main.
  • Ametrine: Elemental of Fire, Female Nethari Fire-Sanctifer, Endurance Main.
  • Sylphine: Elemental of Air, Female Fae Storm-Caller, Combat Main.
  • Cyandine: Elemental of Water, Female High-Elf Frost-Weaver, Tactical Main.
  • Lumirine: Elemental of Light, Female Human Holy-Crusader, Support Assist.
  • Ebontine: Elemental of Dark, Female Half-Elf Moon-Warden, Survival Assist.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lanie said:

The fact everyone thinks that it's Keep or nothing still has me baffled.  EK isn't as convenient as having a crafting station sitting happily right there in the same world, but it's a whole lot safer and a lot more guaranteed (keeps can be taken).  In this, I wonder if even existing players need a good tutorial on how the EK works.

There are bonuses to using the tables in the Keeps, as any experienced crafter would know. Ones you just don't get in an EK and rightfully so. Crafting w/o a threat in a PvP game needs something to justify the risk, or lack thereof it.

Edited by Allinavi

1 minute ago, Allinavi said:

There are bonuses to using the tables in the Keeps, as any experienced crafter would know. Ones you just don't get in an EK and rightfully so, crafting w/o consequence in a PvP game needs something to justify the risk.

"Bonus" still doesn't mean "Keep or Nothing".  It means new players should feel perfectly fine using an EK to do their fundamental crafting, because at one point, you need stuff period.  It just means, once you're thinking of spending high rarity to get quality, you won't want to resort to such solutions.  Early players will still be entering the game treasuring what greens they get, let alone anything higher.  At that point, sending such new players into danger to craft their first ever white quality advanced weapon just isn't even rational.

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, Lanie said:

"Bonus" still doesn't mean "Keep or Nothing".  It means new players should feel perfectly fine using an EK to do their fundamental crafting, because at one point, you need stuff period.  It just means, once you're thinking of spending high rarity to get quality, you won't want to resort to such solutions.  Early players will still be entering the game treasuring what greens they get, let alone anything higher.  At that point, sending such new players into danger to craft their first ever white quality advanced weapon just isn't even rational.

In the current game system sure thats not a bad idea but what about when you cant import? I personally despise the fact that you can craft anything without at least some sort of a risk.

1 minute ago, Tyrannicall said:

In the current game system sure thats not a bad idea but what about when you cant import? I personally despise the fact that you can craft anything without at least some sort of a risk.

Actually, that does bring up another point, that people miss the limit to number of imports.  There needs to be something making THAT a lot more clear.

But It's still pretty easy to manage if you're careful about it.  Let alone, if you're crafting white advanced gears, you're using materials from Reach.  The game itself still recommends people start there until they can hit the floor running.  Around when full-white materials would mean nothing, that's when using the EK becomes a..

59 minutes ago, Lanie said:

It just means, once you're thinking of spending high rarity to get quality, you won't want to resort to such solutions.

.. well, yeah, I've said that already.

Spoiler

I think I agree with ComradeAma's and Blazzen's suggestions. The tutorial should guide new players to help them get set up all the way to intermediate crafting and level 5 (or whatever level you'll unlock the first minor discipline slot, if that changes in the future) and then hint towards more advanced harvesting, crafting and combat professions, then encourage the player to interact with others to learn more. I don't think telling players, "This is a sandbox, figure it out yourself", is helpful. Some people aren't as inquisitive as others. They might get frustrated and quit before getting to know the game, which I would think you'd want to minimize.

Here's how I would flow players through a tutorial:

1. After players create their first character, guide them towards God's Reach (and the settings where they can turn off the tutorial for veterans and adventure seekers alike)
  2. Give a quick overview of the UI and some default keybinds (health, resource, and stamina bars, inventory keybind, details tab, ultimate keybind, chat tabs, experience bar, etc.)
    • And that they can be changed in the settings later
  3. Guide the player to the scavenger chest and get them to pick up some meat and axes
  4. Tell the player to approach a tree, then explain harvesting and energetic harvesting
  5. After destroying the tree node and picking up the doobers, go into detail about harvesting (plentiful pips, seasonal buffs, ethereal dust, critical harvest, etc.)
  6. Tell the player to use the wood they gathered and craft a basic axe and explain basic crafting (success chance, flawed assembly, naming items)
  7. Tell the player to gather more wood and craft a basic hammer, pickaxe, and knife, then to collect the materials for class specific basic weapons
  8. (Assuming experience-for-all-the-things, the player should be close to level 3 at this point (will vary based on class))
  9. Explain attributes and talents, then send player to kill spiders and harvest hide for intermediate armor
    • As they are fighting spiders and skinning, explain hunger, cooking, hunger crystals, and durability as they come up.
    • (By the time they are done, the player should be close to level 5)
  10. Send the player to the end of the zone and explain sacrificing. Have the player sacrifice spider drops to ensure they're level 5.
    • Have the player unlock the first minor discipline slot and explain harvesting and minor disciplines (will probably need some way to force players to bee-line the minor discipline, so they always get it at level 5 if they follow the tutorial)
  11. Send the player to the temple and have them go to the basic crafting stations to craft intermediate armor.
    • explain experimentation, experimentation points, risk, and rerolls.
  12. send the player to hunt for resources and craft intermediate weapons
  13. After crafting intermediate weapons, hint towards advanced crafting, harvesting, and combat promotions and explain vendors (player and system) and what they can provide, then release the player on their own and encourage them to work with other players
  14. Explain the rest as they come up (explain forts when the player happens upon a fort, explain necromancy when a player finds a necromancy table or grave node, explain runemaking when a player finds an advanced rune tool, or when they find a runemaking table, etc.
    • (also have a help window for all the tutorial notes for forgetful players)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Lanie said:

The fact that people still call them "Keep Crafting Tables" shows that people are still missing something important.  I mean, every new account right now automatically gets enough land and buildings to place 9 crafting stations inside (one small house, two big halls with four spots).

Yeah, I still can't figure out where to get the crafting tables to put in my EK other than the general table and the stonemason's table...

48 minutes ago, Tiberius_Invictus said:

Yeah, I still can't figure out where to get the crafting tables to put in my EK other than the general table and the stonemason's table...

Place a stonemason's table in your EK and craft the rest of the tables there.

IhhQKY6.gif

Tutorials should be 2 fold.

1) Teach the player the basics

2) A Marketing tool to get them hooked on what's to come

Before I die, I shall stand upon your grave and smile.