Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minke

[Poll] Which type of tutorial you'd like to see?

If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?

• Races, classes, class-specialization
    • Harvesting
    • Crafting
    • Character development (leveling, talents, disciplines)
    • Skill tree
    • Other, add it in the comments!

I agree with the various comprehensive tutorial ideas here.  The game should really funnel new players to GR, then walk them through all aspects of the game.  It could be displayed in chapter format and offer rewards such as intermediate gear as rewards for completion or advanced white weapon at the last step etc.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:59 AM, Minke said:

Do you remember the feeling the moment you logged in the first time to Crowfall? The time you spent to learn the ropes: Character control. How does this skill tree work? How do I craft? How should I distribute my skill points?
This is the feeling of each and every new crow that joins our Community. What could help them today to get into the game with more ease?

We want to know from you: If you were new to Crowfall today, which tutorial would be most useful/needed for you?

Your TG CM Team

All of those need tutorials.  Are we only getting one or is this merely the first of many tutorials? 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

All of those need tutorials.  Are we only getting one or is this merely the first of many tutorials? 

I think it's a matter of scale of tutorial.  All points will be covered, but the tutorial will weigh more on (checks poll current stats) "Character Development" than any of the other areas.  It may even take the approach of using such "Character Development" as the baseline, and introduce all of the other features from the perspective of "Character Development".  This way, it ensures that the tutorial sufficiently covers the "most complicated/confusing subject" of crowfall.

Milla's Elemental Mastery [Ravens & Crows - See "About Me" Section]:

Spoiler
  • Rosaline: Elemental of Earth, Female Wood-Elf Earth-Keeper, Political Main.
  • Ametrine: Elemental of Fire, Female Nethari Fire-Sanctifer, Endurance Main.
  • Sylphine: Elemental of Air, Female Fae Storm-Caller, Combat Main.
  • Cyandine: Elemental of Water, Female High-Elf Frost-Weaver, Tactical Main.
  • Lumirine: Elemental of Light, Female Human Holy-Crusader, Support Assist.
  • Ebontine: Elemental of Dark, Female Half-Elf Moon-Warden, Survival Assist.

If they don’t give equal attention to all areas of newbie game experience as is pertinent to introduce that area, they’re doing it wrong.

22 minutes ago, Ble said:

If they don’t give equal attention to all areas of newbie game experience as is pertinent to introduce that area, they’re doing it wrong.

^

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ble said:

It's not my fault that none of the choices are "All of them, dang it!"

That would basically be my vote.  But they want to focus stuff.. sadly.

Edited by Lanie

Spoiler

I think people are reading a lot into the poll. I don't think it means they'll only make a tutorial for one system in crowfall.

lol

IhhQKY6.gif

7 minutes ago, Jah said:

I think people are reading a lot into the poll. I don't think it means they'll only make a tutorial for one system in crowfall.

lol

5 hours ago, Lanie said:

All points will be covered, but the tutorial will weigh more on..

2 hours ago, Ble said:

If they don’t give equal attention to all areas..

No, that's not what we're saying.  

Even the idea of scaling things to favour one area over another isn't being considered a happy thought.

Spoiler

I think initially the biggest bang for your buck is going to be seriously promoting people to join guilds. I know most baked in "guild finder" features are usually terrible and useless. However there are plenty of guilds looking to bolster their numbers and guide new players.

If there was some sort of billboard or place that heavily promoted these types of noob friendly guilds I think it could go a long way. A potential positive side effect of this is that it could also even the playing field a bit between the upper tier guilds and the average guilds as the better guilds are usually pretty picky with applicants. 

13 minutes ago, Lanie said:

No, that's not what we're saying.  

Even the idea of scaling things to favour one area over another isn't being considered a happy thought.

Yes, at least one person in this thread did say that.

And I still think you are reading too much into the poll. Its a poll. Its not even put out by ACE. It is not a sign that ACE are going to skimp on tutorials.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

Its not even put out by ACE.

The "Community Manager" Tag kinda gives a lot of "Official Feeling" for this poll, as does the fancy green flag beside the post (even if it isn't the usual red flag).

So, if they are just going to do things equally, why even ask?

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Jah said:

Yes, at least one person in this thread did say that.

And I still think you are reading too much into the poll. Its a poll. Its not even put out by ACE. It is not a sign that ACE are going to skimp on tutorials.

It’s done by a Travian employee.  Seems like an official poll to me. 

wiDfyPp.png

@Pann @Minke

For the sake of clarity is this an official ACE poll?  Personally, I thought Travian and ACE were a team and a poll like this would obviously be official. 

wiDfyPp.png

Good evening folks 🖖 

since the question came up multiple times, let me try to clarify this:

With this poll/thread, we want to collect your thoughts regarding new player experience: What is "the one thing" (guidance/How-To/advice) you believe would be most helpful for a player to get started with ease and get an overall feel of familiarity faster.

Of course, we agree that it is important that all game elements are understood and covered, but this is not really the question. We can also turn the question around: What could be one of the main reasons for a new player to feel lost and what guidance would you give to them in order to help (this, of course, can also be a combination of things). We already got some great input from you guys. Cheers for that!

PS: Question was made by Travian and is meant to be an open discussion to collect constructive input/insights/ideas for possible future tutorials/guides/etc. It does not imply that "The one and only important Tutorial" will be created based on the answers here, nor that any tutorials will be "deprioritized" 🙃😉

YdzD5uN.png?1

PbKpXpA.png?1     imageedit_20_2716316726-facebook-icon.pn     ikon1_twitter-ikon.png     ikon1_discord-chat-for-gamers-ikon.png     ikon1_youtube-for-android-tv-ikon.png     QaML5n5.png?1

Posted (edited)

You say “one” and then in the next sentence “overall”.  I think there is a disconnect there but if you had to choose just one thing, it would be as @ZYBAK mentioned, finding a guild.

If a new player doesn’t gain an understanding that they need to seek others, “soloing” will lead to frustration, delay and disenfranchisement.  They will simply, and rightfully so, move on.

I do not, however, think that this is the full and proper solution for introducing new players to the game, it’s simply the only “one” thing that might possibly help them obtain an “overall” understanding of the game outside of a full tutorial/quest line dedicated to that precise goal.

The brilliance of this game are the siege battles and secondly the OW PvP skirmishes.  That’s your “hook”.  The game is 100% different and 200% more fun when you get to that position.

If I were making decisions I’d be creating an infrastructure of inclusion and education to get new players into that experience as quick as possible.

Contrarily, the downside or barrier to this game is the early unknown, the getting smashed by gear/experience while you’re working on taking down your 5th knotwood tree.  And the fact that there’s so much knowledge to be had that you don’t have - and primarily- that you can’t be successful on your own needs to be accepted.  A few spiders, a few trees and some mushrooms are not going to keep anyone coming back.  New friends, a place to go and talk to people, to learn from, and a community of folks working towards getting to a competitive gear/knowledge point and fighting together - well, yeah, I'll come back for some of that.

Edited by Ble

22 hours ago, Lanie said:

It's not my fault that none of the choices are "All of them, dang it!"

That would basically be my vote.  But they want to focus stuff.. sadly.

Also missing a “no tutorial” option. But we need our hands held these days. Can’t learn on our own anymore. 

Posted (edited)

While the guide in my signature covers everything in the poll I was briefest on crafting because it's a very complex system I didn't fully understand myself at the point of making the video. Gathering and Crafting are the first things I want to branch out to in in more advanced guides.

The problem with making more advanced guides is the game is in a constant state of flux.

For instance in the video I made, majors were still craftable and gold came from all mobs. If I were to remake the video today I'd have to update it to reflect that. And those guides came from just after the release of God's Reach, so not very long ago.

That's personally why I won't be investing too much of my own time into advanced guides just yet, and why I think any tutorials coming from the dev team should be pretty basic. Most of what you do now will need to be redone later. The other reason being that it's late in a college term (So you guys can expect some new guides from me when the term ends)

Also on an semi-related note I'd just like to add the recent performance upgrades you made to the game should be great when it comes to making higher quality videos. Makes me look forward to doing more this summer.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)