Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashar

Not the Hair!

I want to propose a minor discipline called "Not the Hair" or "Don't Touch the Hair".  I was playing in a group event and another player remarked that I was undergeared.  Now, I had all master level armor and equipment except for one small point, I wasn't wearing a helmet.  Of course not!  How could I risk it disrupting the luscious cascade of fine tresses emanating from my scalp?

A lot of MMOs address this by making headgear optionally invisible.  SWTOR even charges a premium for the privilege.  I really don't like that solution for Crowfall since it feels cheap and gimmicky, but I'd still like to have the option to not wear a hat or helmet without going into battle stupid.  So I figured, how about making it into a minor discipline that removes or blocks the headgear slot in exchange for a bonus?

Now, I'm not sure what exactly that bonus should look like.  One thought I had was to add a unique retaliation so the user can respond appropriately to anybody who would date disturb the do.  Another was to add a jewelry slot as a testament to vanity, but that's already been done.  Perhaps other forum goers can contribute more ideas.  Whatever the impact, though, it should be sufficient enough to warrant the loss of both an equipment and discipline slot.

Honestly I'd rather just have the headgear toggle.

Form isn't always going to follow function. The skin system is being implemented eventually, and Todd is on record as saying he doesn't like systems that make people choose between looking cool and screwing up their stats.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

20 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Honestly I'd rather just have the headgear toggle.

Form isn't always going to follow function. The skin system is being implemented eventually, and Todd is on record as saying he doesn't like systems that make people choose between looking cool and screwing up their stats.

That's a fair point.  For me, and I should have clarified this more in my original post, the reason I don't like the invisibility toggle is because it obscures telegraphing.  I play GW2 and that game has a lot of cosmetic customization, which is great, but it means that the information I can infer from glancing at an enemy is reduced.  Even the light/medium/heavy class distinction is overridden by outfits.

By not wearing a helmet, I'm currently telegraphing to other Crowfall players that I'm undergeared.   With a discipline that translates the headgear slot to something else, it could instead telegraph that I probably have a certain set of abilities that they can be cautious of.  With an invisibility toggle, it telegraphs nothing.

Given that headgear, by itself, isn't really that interesting; equipment doesn't have the transformative quality that disciplines do; I can understand why it's not really important to telegraph anything.  But wherever Todd & ACE come down on helmet visibility, I wanted to throw this in as an option.