Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Allinavi

Experince gains and leveling

Poll: Experience gain and levels  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you feel that the increase in time to get to level 30 is a step in the right direction?

• Agree - I like the increased time it takes to level
    • Disagree - I think it's too much of a grind for a PvP game
  2. 2. Is it worth being under max level cap (30)?

• Yes - I feel like a useful and functional member of the team!
    • Somewhat - I feel like I am lacking but still able to make a difference
    • Not too much - I'm a distraction or diversion
    • Not at all - I'm fodder in a PvP game!

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2019 at 01:00 AM

I feel like I need to specify why I answered first, "Agree", and then "not at all". 

I like the fact that leveling to 30 takes a little more time purely based on the fact that previously, leveling a vessel up was either borderline trivial (by having already-hoarded gold) or not too bad with the right tools but otherwise pretty hard (I leveled a purple vessel in 1.5 days on the weekend but I already had blue/purp armor and weapons for it AND farmed spiders for the runs and gold - no way I could manage that now). 

That being said, there were times whilst in blue/purple gear I still felt like fodder. I'm not sure where to separate possible off-meta class/talent choices from this, but I definitely never felt competitive on a white vessel pre-30...  

I say all of that to say this: we need to feel that we grow in strength from start to finish of whatever character development process we start. I say this because I personally like leveling, Others don't, and I'm OK with that too because character growth doesn't need to be given in levels. I don't think "lowbies" need to be able to contribute to the battle as much as a fully-leveled, tricked-out vessel, but they should be functionally effective and able to contribute in other ways. Trackers, supply runners, anti-stealth detectors, forward scouts... whatever other support roles others can think of that ACE may or may not have plans for can be added to this list. Crafters, one day, may be in the mix as far as participating in battles/sieges in order to repair walls, etc.

With other roles at play, a level 20 white Ranger vessel may get stomped by the God-tier lvl 30 Champion easily... But a Ranger that has managed to get over the Keep walls to disrupt their builders is a whole other thing. Especially once ACE implements the ability to devote talents to crafting... 

/rambleoff

Posted (edited)

Anything less than max level is worthless and it just opens you to ganking and a frustrating time sink.  The leveling experience is horrid.  Those two things together is why I'd rather choose to smash my toe with a hammer than level another char in this game.

Whats sad is that their development record as of late makes me think they are either not hearing us or disagree with us.

If you are going to have a leveling process, it can't be a fingernail pull.   Either remove the leveling tedium or make it a better experience.

Edited by Ble

3 minutes ago, Samulus said:

I don't think "lowbies" need to be able to contribute to the battle as much as a fully-leveled, tricked-out vessel, but they should be functionally effective and able to contribute in other ways. 

And therein lies the problem, New player with no vessel/gear/skills/disciplines/offline skills/levels is about useless. Sure there will be some folks that can give outlier instances where new players can have a use, but this will be the exception, not the norm. I advocate for a shallower power curve for everything and remove gating basic class skills behind levels. There are just too many parallel power curves that when combined are terrible for new players. 

I am not quite sure how anyone can call it a grind when you are not constantly deleting and leveling new vessels.

I mean for all seriousness, i have played plenty of pvp oriented rpg games and everything that can be compared to "leveling" in this game is way more work than what we have now.

Guild Wars 1, was the holy grail of rpg/pvp for me back in the days and the time it took to hit max level was perfect and still took longer then CF, granted it also had some story to distract.

It's amusing to me how people can play mobas without any end in sight and always rins and repeat the same stuff over and over but the minute they join some game where they have to level, all hell breaks loos in there brains. I call this an oxymoron.

logo_v2_banner.png

Posted (edited)

So I believe they are taking steps in the right direction to encourage leveling of more vessels. Which down the road will most definitely lead to more leveling, and when we truly reach endgame (with passive stats trained to where you cap trees in Armor/Weap/Craft/Harvest) you will have a lot to expand on. Reasons in both combat and crafting to constantly improve upon your vessel you use to whatever ends. 

I think the focus on the micro has taken over. Many of us as a community see this in the grind of harvesting with diminishing reward for maxed out training coming in waves. As well as certain gates in crafting, that just floods bag space and make nearly every endgame item require every profession to craft, but that's another point.

Running the poll through the weekend... so hopefully anyone tying up the God's Reach level grind in the CW can take the time to add their input. I will run another poll after with options to what is working as far as comitting to a grind and what is worth it. I am excited about locking rarity of disciplines to rarity of vessels and making higher tiers more powerful and effective. It's a perfect way to feel as if you have honed a character well enough to improve upon it, and a sense of accomplishment when you're able to bring it to full fruition. 

Edited by Allinavi

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mystafyi said:

I advocate for a shallower power curve for everything and remove gating basic class skills behind levels. There are just too many parallel power curves that when combined are terrible for new players. 

Simple solution, flip the talent tree a bit. Cut promotions to the beginning and leave the rest as is. You get a feel faster, and you know if you like it or not earlier on. This opens up room to make Major disc's the last thing you get, which will have a mini-tree anyway. Which really does finish off the class.

Edited by Allinavi

Posted (edited)

So... I doubt 10** people logged in over 1 night to vote yes on both of these after the poll was stagnant at 22 votes for ALL day yesterday. Thanks for skewing and custard it up guy!  -Lesson learned no more anon polls-

*Consensus before this wonderfully creative person put all this effort into screwing things up was 6 - YES's to the 16 - NO's

with 6 of the above voting either Fully/Somewhat Agree and the other 16 leaning towards not agreeing at all. @thomasblair @vkromas

Edited by Allinavi
sorry not 10, 11* people

After level multiple vessels, i think the firsts levels are the problem cause u feel really weak and it's boring. Near the lvl 10 it's better so in my opinion, they just need to rework the first lvl and the talent tree a little bit to balance that.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, gerrylix said:

I am not quite sure how anyone can call it a grind when you are not constantly deleting and leveling new vessels.

I mean for all seriousness, i have played plenty of pvp oriented rpg games and everything that can be compared to "leveling" in this game is way more work than what we have now.

Guild Wars 1, was the holy grail of rpg/pvp for me back in the days and the time it took to hit max level was perfect and still took longer then CF, granted it also had some story to distract.

It's amusing to me how people can play mobas without any end in sight and always rins and repeat the same stuff over and over but the minute they join some game where they have to level, all hell breaks loos in there brains. I call this an oxymoron.

The issue is that crowfall concept and design that was sold at kickstarter and for years after that was that there would not be leveling and grinding. Where skill mattered and you could jump right in to play to crush without having class combat skills gated. While I am rewording the current crowfall FAQ and website still promote this design. The Game took a hard turn in 5.7 and ACE has not properly addressed this massive shift in play. 

I understand your point of view on this but I don't think this is the same as say, picking up a game like black desert online and then complaining its all grind, rng and p2w.

Posted (edited)

I just did a half hour run with my normal gear vrs R10's The ratio did not seem nerfed to me. I will upload the video in a bit. 

Not saying it was fun. Or even all that good of a return. As it was not either. The fix for the gear has thrown the numbers WAY off in my mind. It has taken it from tolerable to intolerable. 

Gathering needs lots of work.

Edited by srathor

8 hours ago, mystafyi said:

The issue is that crowfall concept and design that was sold at kickstarter and for years after that was that there would not be leveling and grinding. Where skill mattered and you could jump right in to play to crush without having class combat skills gated. While I am rewording the current crowfall FAQ and website still promote this design. The Game took a hard turn in 5.7 and ACE has not properly addressed this massive shift in play. 

I understand your point of view on this but I don't think this is the same as say, picking up a game like black desert online and then complaining its all grind, rng and p2w.

Most of my guild members joined the day 5.8.6 first hit and i always was under the impression that crafting/leveling will be a big aspect of the experience.

Without the in depth crafting, and maybe also some in depth vessel progression & harvesting soon(tm), crowfall would have a hard time surviving.

If i wanted instant pvp without preparations in an RPG fantasy setting i know one other game that is currently in development that would blow Crowfall out of the water.

The direct competition with Camelot unchained does not have to be, they know that and had to adapt.

Stagnation is death on the market.

logo_v2_banner.png

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 9:53 PM, srathor said:

I just did a half hour run with my normal gear vrs R10's The ratio did not seem nerfed to me. I will upload the video in a bit. 

Not saying it was fun. Or even all that good of a return. As it was not either. The fix for the gear has thrown the numbers WAY off in my mind. It has taken it from tolerable to intolerable. 

Gathering needs lots of work.

Wrong thread. 

Edited by Allinavi