Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jah

Jah's Reports on the Trial of Maeve

10 hours ago, veeshan said:

You could even go as far as if your faction is loosing you get doulbe drop rates on everything, if 2nd get 50% insrease. 

Nah, this is taking it way too far.  You don't want the incentive for losing to be better than the incentive for winning.  Also, any game mechanics that are instituted to preserve faction balance should be based on faction population, not faction score.  If a group of players can be in the faction with the lowest population, yet can still rack up the highest score, they deserve both rewards.

15 hours ago, Thundar said:

. Maybe you're referring to a time I didn't play or a siege I didn't make but the word "Consistently" in your statement makes it a complete fallacy. Also, Balance has a dedicated force equal to or minimally less than both factions combined right now. We tried to siege tonight with 10 CC and 8 Hax. Good job by WB for holding the 10 CC off with 5 people early on but then their true numbers came. Someone can correct me but it looked like 30ish once HoA showed up. 30vs18 and an R10 keep. Thats the state of the game right now. 

I am sorry if I overly generalized too much about population.  I was reacting to the tired old excuse of Zerg that has been a mainstay on the forums for the last 6 months.  You are correct that at the moment the population is very low and Balance could have 30 people participating at sieges out of a total server population of 75+ with most Order and Chaos folks not sieging. 

This campaign is the lowest population I have seen in 6 months and Balance certainly could out numbers other factions during some sieges since the other Faction guilds aren't playing/testing.  There isn't any easy fix to some guilds "trying hard" besides simply not running trials for a while until they have the next big phase of the game ready to test  :(

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tiberius_Invictus said:

Nah, this is taking it way too far.  You don't want the incentive for losing to be better than the incentive for winning.  Also, any game mechanics that are instituted to preserve faction balance should be based on faction population, not faction score.  If a group of players can be in the faction with the lowest population, yet can still rack up the highest score, they deserve both rewards.

Measuring faction strengths player numbers, there is no difference between someone who plays 16 hours a day, every day, all campaign, and spends all 10 of them crafting/gathering/fighting/taking objectives, and someone who logs in once then never logs in again. Especially as they continue to refine the aspects that make up player score, those differences would be reflected there.

The way it should go is that guilds queue for factions as guilds. Say a week before campaigns, the guilds and unguilded players desiring to participate declare their intent to participate. Guilds then pledge to factions in order of strength (as measured primarily by total player score, with player score being a reflection of each player's performance in previous campaigns). Strongest guilds pledges first, weaker guilds and solo players pledge last.

When you pledge you see the respective strength of each faction. Pledging to strong faction penalizes you/your guild. Pledging to a weak faction benefits you. If the benefits are properly balanced this should in general see the smaller guilds and solo players evening out any disparities caused by large differences in power between the top guilds as everyone pledges. This also means if the two top guilds decide they going to be the same faction the 2nd rank guild will get devastating penalties, so they'll need to merge guilds if they want to be in bed together. 

Once the pledging is done, the bonuses are set and don't change. Campaign on.

This of course would be the standard ruleset for three faction or any other factional PvP. I don't see this being the ideal ruleset for Dregs or GvG. 

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

9 hours ago, Tiberius_Invictus said:

increased drops for faction with lowest population might be better

Veeshan Midst of UXA

The zerg cries are humerous.  I'll remind everyone of the first siege we had after HoA joined balance.  It was Winterblades (37) vs. Chaos (60ish) and chaos get pounced.  HoA wasn't even there. That was one guild against a whole faction.  

The continual complaints about us working as a team and being organized are hilarious.  Yes, this is a pre-alpha, but its a game we've been playing for over 3 years.  Why shouldn't we take it seriously and play the game the way we want to?

Ultimately, this is all in preparation for "launch" but I'm sorry, I'm not going to test a game for 3 years and not get enjoyment out of it.

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

HoA and W are playing Crowfall like it's Shadowbane, simply put. Many people don't realize it, but the thing that separates Shadowbane and Crowfall (and EVE) from the rest of the genre is that the game is meant to have a bunch of RTS elements which drive the PvP. This is why JTodd uses a Risk metaphor to describe the game and why he chose to include the campaign system in the project. In an Real Time Strategy game, you have to manage your economy (harvesters and crafters), upgrade and level up your units (leveling and rune-hunting) build an army that can effectively counter what your opponent is bringing (intentionally built 10/20/30+ man groups) before you push their base and burn it to the ground (sieges).

I've tried to get many people in this game to play this way, and it's often been met with intense hostility. Almost every guild/community I've encountered wants nothing to do with this playstyle and refuses to leave the pure RPG mindset. Winterblades is the only other guild that "gets it", and that's why we're allies. Unsurprisingly, considering they've played on a Shadowbane emulator very recently, and never lost touch with the vision of what sets Crowfall apart from other games. I've always pushed House Avari towards this playstyle, and I make sure that everyone who joins our ranks understands that we're doing something different. It's not for everyone, but the people who embrace it enjoy it a whole lot. 

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Would be interesting if the two largest, most active and clearly “play to crush “ guilds were not on the same faction and faced off. Neither guild has won a trial without the other have they? Seeing how it’s obvious in pre-alpha no other guilds offer anything more than a speed bump why not see how that result would be?

I know the forums would certainly be entertaining to see the vocal braggarts and how those stories would go. 

1 hour ago, xary said:

Would be interesting if the two largest, most active and clearly “play to crush “ guilds were not on the same faction and faced off. Neither guild has won a trial without the other have they? Seeing how it’s obvious in pre-alpha no other guilds offer anything more than a speed bump why not see how that result would be?

I know the forums would certainly be entertaining to see the vocal braggarts and how those stories would go. 

Trial or not, we've played against HoA for most of the last 2 years+.  They always have put up a good fight and we generally trade wins. Because of the faction ruleset we've both had to work with other guilds that don't share our vision, and that just isn't why we're here in Crowfall.  Can't wait for the dregs...

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

35 minutes ago, veeshan said:

I just find it funny the game realy is just chaos vs Order with balance just getting in the way and ruining the fun fights :P

Correction: Chaos vs. Scarlet.

qMEsHyg.png

www.winterblades.net

Sign in to follow this