Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Andrallia

First impression after ~20hours of play

Well where to begins, this game is problematic, you really really want to love it but he doesnt even try.

So i'll do point by point why i personally find the game unapealing atm:

-The time gate behind trees, i mean they are all littles QoL imrovement that quickly adds up to be a huge bonus but man, why it is time gated like this? You don't even grind for it you just wait, while being offline, and it seems to be mandatory for late crafting//gathering.

-Clunky gameplay: i leveled a druid and promoted it to archdruid, and man what a disapointement for now, either i'm low on essences before fight so i can stack a huge blight bomb before engaging and the mob almost get one shotted OR i'm high and i have to fight legit and it's a pain, half the skill almost has no impact, the bear cast attack seems to miss 60% of the time because of lag server, once i am low on energy it's either i drain my life or have to stance switch and spam orbs but at this time i need orbs to heal myself by for bombing them too. I do not despise the gameplay but man is it clunky.

-Lag server: i know it's a beta/pre-beta whatever, but you can not have a healthy test in this kind of nervous gameplay game when some attacks miss randomly or some monsters melee you at 10m range.

-Ressources are overwhelming, too many different leather/wood/or etc and for each type they all have the classic white>green>blue>purple quality, ending up having too many different smal stacck in your bags and bank and still not able to craft your first leather armor/advanced weapon early on. And it's not just about ressources, the number of secondary stats is overwhelming, as the profession talent tree etc.

-Mob grinding: not a lot to say, combat is not balanced i believe, on one hand i can pull 2/3 mobs on my templar and live just fine and ready to pull again, on the other hand as druid i have to kite all day, waiting for ressource etc. at moments it is hard to find the right rankk of mob to lvl up, you leave a zone cause you don't need rankk 3 anymore and the next zone they are rank7. Same i had the exemple of farming pretty easily R5/6 mobs on my ranger and when i turned on a R4 aurok he litterally 2 shotted me, i'm prertty sure i lack some informations there but it's not like if the game give you any on anything.

-And last but not least, the servers are desert, i barely can find any group to grind war tribes even the weekend in EU, not a lot of connected players online to help you figure out what happen or tip you.

I rreally hope your answers will change my mind on many points because i really want to love this game. Sorry for my english btw.

1 hour ago, Andrallia said:

Same i had the exemple of farming pretty easily R5/6 mobs on my ranger and when i turned on a R4 aurok he litterally 2 shotted me, i'm prertty sure i lack some informations there but it's not like if the game give you any on anything.

A lot of your comments are shared by the rest of the community.  I can't speak much to your druid concerns, but the snippet above sounds like you encountered an ancient aurok.  Watch out for ancients unless you're in a group or rolling with high-end gear and skills.

To be honest i really hoped the answer would be to provve me wrong on many topics, and ye si believe the aurrok had this prefix, 'ill watch out for it now.

i'lll push forward into the game, i still have plenty of aspects to epxlore but it's really not a good first impression.

Unfortunately, some people will say “lol well get a guild”. And they are right because there’s no method of introducing you to the game.  Hopefully that will be addressed sooner rather than later.

For your part.  You must realize that this is a pre-Alpha game, and as such, is far from complete.

Your frustrations are valid but I would caution against your perspective of the game as it seems like criticism more at home in a beta or release.

If you want to both test the game AND have fun, doing it solo is not really an option.

It sounds like you have got a taste of the underlying brilliance of this game and so if your final decision is that you do not want to stay, maybe try again later down the road.

Welcome to Crowfall!!!!

No like i said i will definitely push forward into the game, wait for more content etc i'm aware of the state of pre-alpha but i felt like it is important to give a "first impressions" feedback for the developement. As for the guild i played with someone from yours i believe that helped me reach 30 and answered few questions so this point is getting better.

Many promotions shine with proper disciplines and gear. You picked one of the hardest promotions of game - hybrid druid. I guess even veteran players do not know its full potential spec yet, how much damage and healing you should go and gameplay is complex, especially in pvp. Another thing - the game is going be balanced against group fights, so some classes will do better in ganking, some in duels, some in pve. You can have 6 characters, so you have to figure out which builds work best in situations you like to play. Unfortunately, it is pretty much impossible to do solo without huge time investment. So finding a guild is the top advice. All your points are valid, we all have been there. I think when game releases, players will publish a lot of guides how to do this and that, their builds, mb meta. Performance is definitely an issue, however in current state it is more about game stability. There was a huge refactoring recently and some things are still critically bugged.

1 hour ago, Ussiah said:

Agree that once game releases more resources will be available.

The fact the game changes constantly currently while in development makes it hard to be motivated to create guides that could be outdated within 3 days.

FTFY, Ussy

Posted (edited)

I`m sad, because of T. Blair crafting/harvesting in depth system which you need a master degree to get into. We are losing players left & right it was a bad idea to invite too many Star War Galaxies devs into this project.

And they took off Neymar captain role for a reason with the Brazil national team in soccer.. It turn off too many players who don`t know what is going on behind the scene, and when they figure out the power curve with items is far ahead of them they will have no chance to compete in PvP and just quit the game as fast as they installed it. 

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

On 5/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, Andrallia said:

I rreally hope your answers will change my mind on many points because i really want to love this game. Sorry for my english btw.

everything is truth, sadly.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 9:08 PM, Andrallia said:

No like i said i will definitely push forward into the game, wait for more content etc i'm aware of the state of pre-alpha but i felt like it is important to give a "first impressions" feedback for the developement. As for the guild i played with someone from yours i believe that helped me reach 30 and answered few questions so this point is getting better.

You definetly should keep moving forward, if underneath you like the game but certain things are bugging the crap out of you, the amount this game has changed in the 4 or 5 months I have been back is insane, JTodd the lead developer talks about knobs to turn, and well I can see how they are set up to adjust things fairly easily to make things better for players. 

If you have been around for a while, and you step back and breathe a bit, you realize that the game is still very much in Pre-Alpha, the AI with the monsters on bind was completely changed just recently, and yes its a bit too much at the moment, especially when you add in the random lag that you are talking about, but a month or so ago the mob's never even hit you if you just strafed around them... not much of a gameplay experience either. So you can see with just this one thing they went from one extreme to the other in 30-45 days, add in the lag of pre-alpha still and its brutal.

They will keep changing things though, they love this game and want it to succeed to as much as anyone, how quickly they can do that, I have no idea, but I would be a long way from just giving up on the game if I was you, possibly check back between campaigns to see changes if its annoying you really bad

Edited by seastodd

I can asure you that druid is maybe not the first class anyone should try atm solo as beginner.

I was leveling for some tests a normal common druid this campaign and went into stormcaller.

This ended in pure frustration, even R6-7 mobs with level 16-17 were hard to take down. Currently NPC's are spamming the new found abilities way to often without any cooldown and common vessels that every starter has are not prepaired for such bombardment of incoming knockdowns and damage.

On the other hand the last uncommon champion i leveled had 0 of the above issues, i guess we just have to wait till the devs find the right balance for skills used by NPC's.

logo_v2_banner.png

Posted (edited)

My suggested first class in the Beginner's Guide to Crowfall is templar. In particular paladin templars. Paladins are fairly tanky because of full plate and parry. They also are a healing class so their self-healing is strong. But they have the highest damage output of any mainheal class and it's AoE damage. 

The net result is you can tick off a ton of mobs, let the group up around you, and AoE them all down while tanking/healing through their damage. And because you are a self-healer and pips regenerate quickly you can go from group of mobs to group of mobs with no time needed to heal/mana up.

First rate PVE class, and I know some templars swear by them as a PVP class too. 

Guilds/Friends are really the only way to address the diversity of the crafting system if you don't have unlimited playtime and a horde of accounts, and the best way to address slow leveling times. For instance last night I leveled a character to 25 that was not a strong solo leveling build (particularly because it's not geared yet) in an hour or two of play because someone helped me out. Solo level grinding is unbearable IMO especially if you're not a paladin templar or some similarly solo oriented class.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Archdruid is one of the best farmers/killers.  you're doing it wrong . And that's because you only played 20 hours . So don't complain about a class before you play longer 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, yianni said:

Archdruid is one of the best farmers/killers.  you're doing it wrong . And that's because you only played 20 hours . So don't complain about a class before you play longer 

Such a helpful member of the community.  

@Andrallia archdruid is a complex “bomb” template.  It’s basic premise is to throw down Druid healing orbs and then detonate them for a huge amount of damage.  It requires a fairly significant (for CF) amount of preparation but when executed correctly is hard to avoid and can easily one shot people foolish enough to get caught.  It works the same for PvE and PvP.  It’s not much of a healer but it’s damage it’s substantial. 

Edited by mandalore

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

37 minutes ago, mandalore said:

Such a helpful member of the community.  

@Andrallia archdruid is a complex “bomb” template.  It’s basic premise is to throw down Druid healing orbs and then detonate them for a huge amount of damage.  It requires a fairly significant (for CF) amount of preparation but when executed correctly is hard to avoid and can easily one shot people foolish enough to get caught.  It works the same for PvE and PvP.  It’s not much of a healer but it’s damage it’s substantial. 

Yeah since you're such a helpful member. Especially to the game. All that testing you've done is invaluable

If you are trying to do everything in this game by yourself you are going to have a hard time. Crafting is complicated by design. There are this many materials in crafting to create a meta game and allow people to have proprietary recipes so people actually seek out the best crafters and the best will be far an in between. 

As to the items space issue, that's known and they are working on a solution. 

Pre-Alpha games are always a ghost town in testing IMO. The difference is people bought the game and think the money they spent should be reflected in the quality of the product now. I've played maybe a total of 10hrs, specifically to test new combat mechanics and other changes. I'm not trying to play the game, even for sieges, until beta. 

23 hours ago, Cyphergaiden said:

If you are trying to do everything in this game by yourself you are going to have a hard time. Crafting is complicated by design. There are this many materials in crafting to create a meta game and allow people to have proprietary recipes so people actually seek out the best crafters and the best will be far an in between. 

As to the items space issue, that's known and they are working on a solution. 

Pre-Alpha games are always a ghost town in testing IMO. The difference is people bought the game and think the money they spent should be reflected in the quality of the product now. I've played maybe a total of 10hrs, specifically to test new combat mechanics and other changes. I'm not trying to play the game, even for sieges, until beta. 

A few months ago, this person would have found a guild that could have helped with this.  With the place a barren wasteland, it's hard for new players to try this game properly.

Hopefully the devs do something that will draw people back.  Despite my being disgruntled off at this game, I do want it to succeed.  I just hope they're able to put something positive into the game that will make it fun to play again.

Damn, this sounds just like Vanguard when it was in testing.  Though a PvE game, many of the complaints were similar.  They ran out of money before they could properly finish building the game because they weren't listening to players. Investors said launch, they launched, the game faltered at the beginning. SOE managed to make the game playable but the damage was already done. Many of the players at launch had already moved on.  That's what I'd like to see the devs avoid.  They have to get this right by launch. When that is? Who knows? I just know the path they are on now does not give me a good feeling.