Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rikutatis

Kickstarter MMOs

I thought this video was mildly interesting, although the guy seems somewhat biased towards Camelot Unchained. But maybe he knows stuff I don't, since the NDA prevents me from knowing a whole lot about that game, all I hear are stories about how massively delayed the game is and how early state and bare bones the current beta is. 

There does not have to be competition, they can and should coexist.

Kickstarters overall often wanted to change the world completely thats why they fail so hard. Inveting the wheel all the time is no good idea.

That's why for me crowfall, CU and pantheon are (even if they are buggy at times or inbalanced or on the wrong track for some time) the stars on the sky that could give my gamerheart a home like i had during DAOC, SWTOR, GW1 and vanilla WOW. Since that time i am a wanderer between mmos that take instant gratification over social values.

Community bonds are what made these games so great and that's what so many studios miss these days and always wonder why people are gone after 1 month.

logo_v2_banner.png

Well CU already has a better engine it appears than CF. I’m a huge DAOC fan so Really hoping they can make it work. There are some items I definitely am not fond of as everyone always trying to reinvent the wheel.

If there testing servers were up more regularly I’d never be on this game or forum.

I think the period in MMO history we are in right now is the race for the next EverQuest. What do I mean by that?

When MMOs launched there was no set formula to make an MMO. No model everyone was basing their game around. No right or wrong way to do it, no models that "always fail" and no models that were considered "safe".

And from that soup of innovation rose EverQuest. And people loved it at the time.

Then WoW came along and said "That's a nice model, let's take it, polish it up and base our game around it." Then everyone else said "Wow, WoW is really successful. Lets base our MMOs around this for the next decade or so. Seems safe."

But remaking WoW isn't safe anymore. Everyone is tired of hell of it and so big companies aren't making MMOs anymore. And we're back to a state of rampant innovation and no set rules on how to make an MMO being up for debate.

I fully expect that from this generation of kickstarter MMOs at least one model will become the next big thing. And then a huge company is going to sweep in, say "Thanks for doing our R&D for us!" launch a high budget polished model of their game and it will be the new WoW. And then there will be a ton of knockoffs of it.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

5 hours ago, xary said:

Well CU already has a better engine it appears than CF. I’m a huge DAOC fan so Really hoping they can make it work. There are some items I definitely am not fond of as everyone always trying to reinvent the wheel.

If there testing servers were up more regularly I’d never be on this game or forum.

I'll be honest, I kinda despise tab target combat, and I prefer CF's Dregs design (at least on paper) over CU's RvR. But if CU delivers a game with top performance and fun gameplay, and the servers are as populated as DAoC were back in the day I'd play the heck out of it. 

Yeah I’m not fond of the tab target either but DAOC just gets faction warfare. I mean once you have your gear you pvp.

I never heard the excuses of gear differential or really even unbalanced pops as the tools you were given allowed you to cope. Also the players seemed more interested in self regulation of pops or at least working together to put a hurt on the heavier side.

Now who knows how CU will ultimately end up but one can fondly hope it will be a decent successor.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, Andius said:

I fully expect that from this generation of kickstarter MMOs at least one model will become the next big thing. And then a huge company is going to sweep in, say "Thanks for doing our R&D for us!" launch a high budget polished model of their game and it will be the new WoW. And then there will be a ton of knockoffs of it.

Network coding is the single biggest issue we face. Until some dev team has a breakthrough everything is a knockoff. heck, most games are built with 3rd party plugins so you know there will be little innovation taking that route. 

On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, Rikutatis said:

I'll be honest, I kinda despise tab target combat, and I prefer CF's Dregs design (at least on paper) over CU's RvR. But if CU delivers a game with top performance and fun gameplay, and the servers are as populated as DAoC were back in the day I'd play the heck out of it. 

There's strengths and weaknesses to every targeting system, but to me it comes down to implementation and how it works (or doesn't).

CU is supposed to be more of a hybrid targeting system, with tab and free aim depending on the player/ability. Along with the A.I.R. spell interaction system, physics, and players being able to tailor each ability to their liking, I can see CU's combat being preferred over more open action systems. Not sure if the every body part is a target will make it, but that adds more challenge to any targeting system.

CF's system could of been better but they backed away from physics and aiming to rely on raycasts and cone/aoes. To me it isn't that much different then tab if you can point your mouse in the general direction of an enemy or likely ball of enemies.

It's possible CU's system will end up being fairly strategic which ACE seemed to initially want but got shot down due to the first implementation. Never got a chance to build it out.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, Andius said:

I doubt there will ever be a "next big thing" with MMOs compared to EQ/WoW. At least not until tech takes it too another level.

MMOs take too much commitment in a world with too many things available. That's why lobby games that let people get in and out are so popular.

Ashes is likely the only one with the design to draw in a larger crowd but it will need to hit most if not all of its goals well. Reminds me of BDO which I enjoyed but the Eastern pay/grind model let me down. AOC might have the right balance between PVE, PVP, cosmetic shop, sub, "players change the world," combat, and looks good to be the cool kid on the street.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:09 PM, xary said:

Yeah I’m not fond of the tab target either but DAOC just gets faction warfare. I mean once you have your gear you pvp.

I never heard the excuses of gear differential or really even unbalanced pops as the tools you were given allowed you to cope. Also the players seemed more interested in self regulation of pops or at least working together to put a hurt on the heavier side.

Now who knows how CU will ultimately end up but one can fondly hope it will be a decent successor.

Yea, DAoC got many things right, and CU is supposed to be following the same path. For example, no AoE caps (it made a big difference in DAoC). Just the little things that add up. My major concern with CU seems to be how behind the schedule it is and how slowly it's moving compared to other Kickstarter MMOs like CF or AoC. They're all moving slowly, sure, but CU appears to be the one that is the slowest. Maybe that has something to do with the NDA, but it's just the impression I get. But other than that they appear to be have the most solid foundation in terms of engine and performance, so that's a huge differential. 

On 6/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, Rikutatis said:

Yea, DAoC got many things right, and CU is supposed to be following the same path. For example, no AoE caps (it made a big difference in DAoC). Just the little things that add up. My major concern with CU seems to be how behind the schedule it is and how slowly it's moving compared to other Kickstarter MMOs like CF or AoC. They're all moving slowly, sure, but CU appears to be the one that is the slowest. Maybe that has something to do with the NDA, but it's just the impression I get. But other than that they appear to be have the most solid foundation in terms of engine and performance, so that's a huge differential. 

Making your own engine on a kickstarter budget would delay any team. But that delay will likely make for a far better gameplay than the ones who use old/existing engines.