Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kavsby

5.9 Battle Rager Build Help

Hi guys,

Was wondering if you could please help me with a Battle Rager build. In particular:

1. Talents

2. Stat priority

3. Disciplines

4. Rotation

Etc.

Thank you!

Hey there.

Before I give you any suggestions I would like to point out that Battlerager is the least useful of the 3 promotions the myrmidon has.

So ask yourself what do you want to achieve with this promotion - and then make your build around that.

The problem with battlerager is that you hit like a wet noodle, so if people notice that you're a battlerager, they can basically just ignore you.

If they don't know that they should ignore you however, they you can really be a pain in the ass for the enemy, because you can stay alive for a long time.

1 - Talents

In your talents I would ofcourse take all the talents that makes you more tanky, but also make sure you get all the offensive ones, armor penetration, basic attack dmg etc.

You are going to be very tanky.

You will however not need frenzy and vengeance since your promotion talents centers around berserk.

2. Stat priority

Since you are so tanky already from mechanics, then it doesn't make sense to add to that with your attribute points, instead you should full STR to try and increase your dmg as much as possible. Your job as a battlerager is to make the enemies hit you, if you don't do any dmg they can and will ignore you.

3 - Disciplines

As you already are very tanky, you have a lot of options with disciplines.

Going something that gives you more dmg can be an option (Illusionist/force Mage), going for stuff that helps you disrupt your enemies can be an option (mudman - aoe blind when hit by crushing dmg/naiad aoe ranged root). As I said earlier, think about what you want to achieve with the battlerager, and build towards enforcing that goal.

4 - Rotation

You don't have a set rotation, apart from using your berserk on cooldown whenever you can see you are near enemies. Remember to avoid the crashes with either whirlwind or pulverize. Apart from that try and dot as many enemies as you can with whirlwind - try and maintain those dots on them as well, only takes a few seconds of you spinning on them to stack it to 3x moderate bleeds. And use your net to keep rooting/pulling enemies towards you or as a peel, to keep enemies off your teammates.

5 - General tips

Your goal is to help ensure that your group wins the fight, you don't deliver the killing blows nor the damage to get the enemies down, your job is to try and make your enemies hit you, to disrupt your enemies as much as possible, and to make sure your team is safe and has the space they need to pump out damage and healing to win the fight.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

Thank you, that's really helpful. I was moving towards Battle Rager because I thought that the Titan may be too much like a glass cannon and can't deal any damage if it's dead.

Therefore, I thought that although the Battle Rager may have lower DPS output, the fact that it survives longer would mean that it can out-DPS a Titan over time. Is this incorrect?

I agree with you that I think the Battle Rager's place could be more to dive into the enemy pack and disrupt their back line helping the less tanky, higher DPS classes to pick off the front line whilst the rest of the team are trying to take care of the Battle Rager.

I haven't spent much time on the class though, so really interested to hear your thoughts

Edited by Kavsby

3 minutes ago, Kavsby said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thank you, that's really helpful. I was moving towards Battle Rager because I thought that the Titan may be too much like a glass cannon and can't deal any damage if it's dead.

Therefore, I thought that although the Battle Rager may have lower DPS output, the fact that it survives longer would mean that it can out-DPS a Titan over time. Is this incorrect?

That is incorrect yes, Titan also has access to Berserk, meaning you technically can avoid all incoming dmg every 12 seconds, for 8 seconds.

Titan has some of the highest sustained single target damage in the game, if you are able to stay on your target - all from basic attacks.

Our current group setup is running Titan and Secutor as frontline, you can see how we do in my videos.

But the most important thing to learn on the myrm is the berserk mechanic, and how to avoid crashing - taking a big chunk of damage.

If you get used to that, any of the 3 promotions can be tanky.

And with the damage Titan does, both vengeance and frenzy can be useful powers, just depends on your group setup and preferred playstyle.

pJ5xyok.png
My Twitch - My Youtube - Apply to Vanguard HERE!

Posted (edited)

Titan with berserk is kinda like having your cake and eat it too if you can master the berserk/pulverize timing. And if you have a good healer you can use Frenzy on occasion for even more damage. I know some people run vengeance but I don't like it for the Titan build because if you get kited or CC'd you aren't doing damage and will die. I stick to Berserk and occasionally Frenzy. 

This video is several months old at this point so not all of it is still valid but it should explain some things to you. The biggest change is that Blood of the Giants, the Half Giant racial ability, no longer mitigates berserker crash so you can't use it for that purpose. Now you want to use it in the 4 second gap between when berserk ends and when it's available for use again because it provides a dmg barrier. 

I actually run Illusionist (which wasn't available at the time that I made this video) and Shield Breaker now as I don't think the CC immunity is needed from Jugg anymore. Most of the time if you're going to crash it's because of a physics ability (knockback, chain pull, etc.) which cannot be mitigated with CC immunity. I've seen some people run Illusionist and Jugg if they already have a shield breaker in the group. Illusionist is pretty much require for Titan Myrm these days. 

Hope this helps! 

TL:DR there is no good Battlerager build. Just roll Titan and use Berserk. 

Edited by blazzen
TL:DR

Battle Rager is the tankiest of tanks. It's definitely harder to get value out of then Titan in most situations. However in BIG fights where there are defined front lines and back lines you can do work with it. You can jump super deep into enemy stacks and get whirlwind bleeds on everything which adds up to a significant amount of damage due to how bleed armor works. 

Jumping into enemy stacks also means that a lot of attacks that would be hitting your teammates will be hitting you instead. No other tank can do suicide runs quite like the Battle Rager can. The problem is Battle Rager isn't really viable outside of these larger structured fights. You're going to have a really bad time in a 5v5 for example

The beginning and end clip of this video will show what's capable on the spec.

25 minutes ago, ZYBAK said:

Battle Rager is the tankiest of tanks. It's definitely harder to get value out of then Titan in most situations. However in BIG fights where there are defined front lines and back lines you can do work with it. You can jump super deep into enemy stacks and get whirlwind bleeds on everything which adds up to a significant amount of damage due to how bleed armor works. 

Jumping into enemy stacks also means that a lot of attacks that would be hitting your teammates will be hitting you instead. No other tank can do suicide runs quite like the Battle Rager can. The problem is Battle Rager isn't really viable outside of these larger structured fights. You're going to have a really bad time in a 5v5 for example

The beginning and end clip of this video will show what's capable on the spec.

The issue I have with the BR and I guess tanks in general is there just there, You can easily ignore them and just focus other targets. Dolmar plays a great BR hard as custard to kill. However if you just ignore him and kill his teammates theres not much can do.

Posted (edited)

The issue is that they apply no pressure through any capacity. They don't deal significant damage against groups, which is what they are good for. If the enemy stands in a healing circle they completely counter your damage and then some.

I think in some of my siege videos you can literally hear my healers calling to block on Dolmar/ChuckZito for free healing on the team.

If BattleRager or Pitfighter or Secutors applied any sort of pressure via CC or damage or SOMETHING they would be awesome, but for now they are just a player we can ignore until the end of the fight. That being said they are super fun to play. They just do nothing.

Edited by galvia

Posted (edited)

I think they should combine the CC and Tank specs. A battlerager that also slowed any bleed target it hit? That sounds like a viable tank. A tank has to be able to contribute something to the fight besides just staying alive.

Edited by Tyrannicall

Battle Ragers are literally throwing at this time.  All you have to do is place a cleric in their WW and it full heals the group, follow that up with a Purgative at the end of the WW if you feel like it, although its not necessary.  They are 100% ignorable.  With training Dolmar/Chuck are hitting me for 100 dmg.  I don't even need to heal myself, barkskin and ambient healing will completely counter that.  We just kill them last, if at all (they like to run away as the last of their group is dying).

As a Titan I can stick on a target and that target has to call me to be peeled, if not, eventually I'll get them low and go into a FrenzyNeckslash, 1, 2,3+Neckslash and thats about 8000-15000 dmg.

The feeling of being squishy goes away with armor and mail training, specifically anti crit and physicial/resist all.

When people ask me about what class they should play, I often have a couple questions to ask in return: what's the group going to look like that you're in (who are you playing with and how many, and WHERE to you plan to fight? To a less but still important degree, WHO do you plan to fight?

If you're part of a smaller guild, which means a smaller group, and you're trying to get the most bang for your buck, this may help determine what class you'll want to choose. If you're wanting a front line tankyboi, with some CC potential with pulls, and the ability to rely less on a healer--perhaps your healer is new and is still learning the ropes, or maybe you don't always have a healer around, or maybe there's no healer confidence--then a Battle Rager might be a solid choice. 

Where one plans to focus theirs fights is just as important as anything else, perhaps even more so. Some classes excel in open field mobile combat, where for others, that might be a weakness. Some are small group v. small group bruisers, where others might really show their shiny colors in larger keep fights. I plan on expanding my Myrmidon knowledge by playing the other promotion classes (I play a Titan right now), but from what I've played of the Battle Rager before, it seemed to shine in the smaller group activities. This doesn't mean you can't bring it to larger keep fight engagements, as you or your group might be doing something specific and not attached to the main force, but the big danger to Battle Rager (hard CC) ramps up as more people join the fight. The more people there are, the higher the odds that there's going to be some hard CC in the mix.

The where one fights bleeds in a bit to who one fights. The Battle Rager's class mechanic is the Berserk, which if halted before preventing the crash, spells a bad time for the Battle Rager. If your opponents have played the game for a while, and are known to not only be game knowledgeable, but also good at communication, then it's likely they might call out for hard CC to find its way to you. If your opponents have a Templar or two in the mix, and you go whirlwinding in there, it's going to be a bad day for you. 

Asking and answering these questions can help decide on what class you might choose to play, and where and how you choose to play it. In the end, the best way to learn about a class is to play it. Roll up that poopy basic vessel, slap some decent advanced gear on it, and get yourself into some fights. Learn for yourself how it plays, where you find its strengths to be, and where it shines/doesn't shine.