Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
binny45

What would it take to get you playing again?

12 hours ago, blazzen said:

I don't think I'm really going to play Crowfall like a released game until it's a released game (which basically means when they stop wiping). I'm still confident they'll get the remaining core features in by release to make this a great game (PoI Refineries, Caravans, Factories, Frostweaver, Dregs with Free Building) and put the necessary polish on it (Balance and Performance). 

Ironically, I think what would entice me to test more than I currently do would be a full (including passive training) wipe along with some new features/content.

While 5.90 offered some very necessary tweaks to existing systems (Client Controller, Fort Windows, Death Mechanic) it didn't really include any new juicy content coupled with the fact that new people would be very behind in training if they're just starting out because there was no wipe. 

There has always been ebbs and flows to Crowfall's Pre-Alpha testing population. Hopefully 5.100 will bring a lot more activity back to the game.  

They do a full wipe, and you can kiss the remaining testers goodbye.  They're the only ones still kicking what's left of the can.  Too many people have put in way too much time into this game.  They demanded it, we accepted it, then they screwed with it.  The hours spent harvesting, crafting, waiting for a damn passive systems to be able to actually make anything, the camping of items (this mechanic is just plain f***ing stupid), all to make gear to play.  People are burnt out as it is. Now you want to take all that effort away? A full wipe during testing would kill the little bit of life that's left to this game. I know I wouldn't be coming back. If this happened they can keep the cash and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because they'd never get one more red cent from me. I already feel hoodwinked, don't add insult to injury.

12 hours ago, coolster50 said:

I think you missed the point of them disliking water. Implementing something that looks like water isn't hard. Making it behave like water is a challenge. Plus, more often than not in MMOs, it's just there to look pretty. Doing a lot of hard work just for something that looks pretty isn't as high a priority as, say, having caravans that follow a player. They're both (relatively) hard to do, but one adds gameplay value. I'm not saying this is the calculus the devs do when they decide what to work on, but it gives an idea on how they likely do it

Guild Wars 2 has water down pat and that game is getting up there in age. This is a brand new game and cannot at least accomplish some of this?

Posted (edited)

I would like to see rivulets and stuff going across maps.  Water slows movement (swimming/dismount) by a large degree.  Some crossable shallow areas, some areas that might be jumpable and some bridged areas.  Creates better OWPvP when you cant just pick a cardinal direction or rune gate and run straight there.

Edited by Ble

4 minutes ago, binny45 said:

They do a full wipe, and you can kiss the remaining testers goodbye.  They're the only ones still kicking what's left of the can.  Too many people have put in way too much time into this game.  They demanded it, we accepted it, then they screwed with it.  The hours spent harvesting, crafting, waiting for a damn passive systems to be able to actually make anything, the camping of items (this mechanic is just plain f***ing stupid), all to make gear to play.  People are burnt out as it is. Now you want to take all that effort away? A full wipe during testing would kill the little bit of life that's left to this game. I know I wouldn't be coming back. If this happened they can keep the cash and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because they'd never get one more red cent from me. I already feel hoodwinked, don't add insult to injury.

After a full wipe you don't really have to do much farming because nobody has high enough passive skills for all of the gear to be of any consequence. White vessel, white gear, start PVPing! Couple hours at most. When items/vessels are wiped but passive skill training isn't that is when you see a much larger grind to get leveled/geared up since you'll need higher quality gear/vessels to compete. 

New players joining the game right now are met with the fact that they're extremely far behind in passive training which makes it hard for them to compete. Until we get a catch up mechanic (skill tomes) I think it's a good idea to have a passive training wipe every so often. There are also some legacy items that are still hanging around with higher stats than what is currently possible due to stat nerfs (hunger shards on weapons, stats on jewelry, etc.).

There will surely be more wipes between now and launch. I'd be very, very surprised if there wasn't a full wipe for 6.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if one came sooner than that. 

Many of the people currently testing who have been testing for a multiple years now (including me) have gone through many wipes. If we were going to leave because of a wipe I think that would've already happened. 

What typically happens is activity dies from the time the wipe is announced leading up to the wipe (which is why it's important for ACE to give us notice of a wipe but not TOO MUCH notice - a week or so is appropriate IMO). However, once the wipe happens you get a big influx of activity for the fresh start. After playing Crowfall for about 4 years now that is what I've seen leading up to and following a wipe. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ble said:

I would like to see rivulets and stuff going across maps.  Water slows movement (swimming/dismount) by a large degree.  Some crossable shallow areas, some areas that might be jumpable and some bridged areas.  Creates better OWPvP when you cant just pick a cardinal direction or rune gate and run straight there.

Agree. 

It would make the landscape a lot more interesting. It's kind of bland right now IMO. Another biome would help too but water features are always interesting. 

An idea for a relatively quick/easy implementation would be to make it so you have to stay within survival tray while crossing water and you just swim on the surface. Even that would require swimming animations for all the different races/genders which I imagine isn't cheap. That would however make players choose between risking crossing water vs. taking bridges or going around which could create some natural choke points and strategy in the open world. 

It always comes down to priorities though and there's a lot of things I'd rather have. 

Edited by blazzen

17 minutes ago, blazzen said:

After a full wipe you don't really have to do much farming because nobody has high enough passive skills for all of the gear to be of any consequence. White vessel, white gear, start PVPing! Couple hours at most. When items/vessels are wiped but passive skill training isn't that is when you see a much larger grind to get leveled/geared up since you'll need higher quality gear/vessels to compete. 

New players joining the game right now are met with the fact that they're extremely far behind in passive training which makes it hard for them to compete. Until we get a catch up mechanic (skill tomes) I think it's a good idea to have a passive training wipe every so often. There are also some legacy items that are still hanging around with higher stats than what is currently possible due to stat nerfs (hunger shards on weapons, stats on jewelry, etc.).

There will surely be more wipes between now and launch. I'd be very, very surprised if there wasn't a full wipe for 6.0 but I wouldn't be surprised if one came sooner than that. 

Many of the people currently testing who have been testing for a multiple years now (including me) have gone through many wipes. If we were going to leave because of a wipe I think that would've already happened. 

What typically happens is activity dies from the time the wipe is announced leading up to the wipe (which is why it's important for ACE to give us notice of a wipe but not TOO MUCH notice - a week or so is appropriate IMO). However, once the wipe happens you get a big influx of activity for the fresh start. After playing Crowfall for about 4 years now that is what I've seen leading up to and following a wipe. 

If that's the route they want to take, that's fine.  But then it stops being what was advertised.  Why not just get rid of the detailed crafting altogether? Just make it like WoW and go beat on each other. Then again, if this is what people want, there are plenty of games out there that do this.

Regarding the passive trees I have several thoughts on this.

We're here to test this.  Wiping trees does nothing to support this.  Just give everyone a crap load of points so they can specialize in two key areas. That would even the playing field and allow people to test the game.  Doing a wipe just means more waiting to do what we want to do, which is test the games mechanics. 

Ultimately, the way the game is currently structured, there is always going to be someone left behind others. The only way I see to level this a bit is to mix up passives with active use.  For example: You have two people working on blacksmithing passives.  One person only logs in, spends points, maybe fights for a bit, then logs.  The second person is constantly crafting for their guild. Always pounding on the anvil, ensuring all his/her guildies are gear up.  With passives only, the person who only logs in occasionally may have a higher blacksmithing skill due to them simply playing the game sooner. The person working their butt off gets no reward for their efforts other than the appreciation of their guildies.

I think passives can help people level up areas that they don't have time to dedicate to, but are interested in.  However, a person who works at blacksmithing day in and day out, should be able to skill up faster than someone who doesn't do it at all.  This would make things more fair and dare I say it, realistic.

Furthermore, while addressing crafting, I want to get into these rare drops that allow you to....well....do your job.

Be they hammers, or awls, or goggles, or whatever.  I don't totally disagree with these, but I believe they should be implemented more appropriately.

Personally, I think crafters should be able to build whatever they want (based on their skills) up to Epic.  Anything Legendary/Runic, should require these drops.  They're apex gear and they should require lots of effort to get.  I would have no issue with helping my guild farm this stuff to be able to equip our players better.  I think applying these rare resources to anything less than Legendary/Runic is frankly a waste.

1 minute ago, binny45 said:

Ultimately, the way the game is currently structured, there is always going to be someone left behind others. The only way I see to level this a bit is to mix up passives with active use.

I agree. 

I think once skill tomes come online there should be a way to earn skill tomes through active play within the game. 

There would need to be a rolling cap on skill points equivalent to whatever a day 1 account could possibly have. People who started the game after the first day of launch could use active gameplay to earn skill tomes to catch up, however, no one could exceed the rolling max cap. 

17 minutes ago, binny45 said:

Personally, I think crafters should be able to build whatever they want (based on their skills) up to Epic.  Anything Legendary/Runic, should require these drops.  They're apex gear and they should require lots of effort to get.  I would have no issue with helping my guild farm this stuff to be able to equip our players better.  I think applying these rare resources to anything less than Legendary/Runic is frankly a waste.

100% agree with this. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, binny45 said:

I think passives can help people level up areas that they don't have time to dedicate to, but are interested in.  However, a person who works at blacksmithing day in and day out, should be able to skill up faster than someone who doesn't do it at all.  This would make things more fair and dare I say it, realistic.

I would not be opposed to this. Maybe something like experimentation difficulty reduction could be applied through crafting experience.

I think in small increment amounts per craft and would cap out as some point say +10 experimentation diff reduction. Every successful crafted item is +.005 and if you have amazing success it's +.0075 . that means you would have to make at least 2000 items in said profession.  eg. 1 ring would be 6 crafts in Jewelcrafting so you would have to make 330 rings to hit the cap which is not a lot but it's also not insignificant. 

Edited by Sharkbait

On 6/3/2019 at 4:10 AM, ilogos said:

Moreover, there wasn't any end to the "campaign"; it was a game you could keep playing and log in, and continue to make small but significant changes to the world and your character. I haven't felt that here. It just seems to be more of a 1v1v1 faction battle that became very repetitive for me. 

You are missing the point of the game. What you want is a game that eventually dies. Completely, as losers start completely quitting the game. Shadowbane had this problem, all iterations of Darkfall had this problem, most RvR games have this problem. Fighting the same people, for the same things everything over and over again get's tedious and boring. 

Campaigns fix this problem. For testing, they need to cycle quickly to test features. But once live, they can be longer, say 1year+ and it'll have all the features you like because that's the entire point of the game....

1 minute ago, Cyphergaiden said:

As far as testing, we need a testing world where everyone can spawn at max level/max point cap to test everything.

We have that, its the TEST server. You don't spawn at max level, but you can level to max in minutes with unlimited free resources.

IhhQKY6.gif

9 hours ago, binny45 said:

A full wipe during testing would kill the little bit of life that's left to this game. I know I wouldn't be coming back. If this happened they can keep the cash and shove it where the sun doesn't shine because they'd never get one more red cent from me. I already feel hoodwinked, don't add insult to injury.

If that's how you feel you probably should just wait until release TBH. A full wipe will be necessary during testing at some point, if for no other reasons than to test the speed at which people level...

2 minutes ago, Jah said:

We have that, its the TEST server. You don't spawn at max level, but you can level to max in minutes with unlimited free resources.

I wasn't aware that's how test worked, but that makes sense. All the people complaining about losing leveling and all that jazz should probably just play on test. That's my plan next

The problem with Test server is that it is unreliable. Been on there awhile. You should try it before judging.

Great for checking some things, but one day it's up, next it's down.  Never really around

for any real length of time to try stuff out.

The fact is, many testers are already burnt out and frustrated (as previously stated).  These are folks that have pumped hours

upon hours every day, seven days a week testing this game.  It was fun! Incomplete, but it was playable. Now, nothing.

Despite the leveling and gear and whatnot on Test, the game is still unplayable.  Mobs are still crazy. Still hardly anyone around

to play with.  Normally during a pre-alpha I'd say "Go ahead and wipe".

However this game is such a chore to play right now, I think it would just keep current testers away for good and cause

enough bad blood to have them never come back, even on release.  This is never good news as bad news travels further and

faster than good news. Do something good, people will tell some of their friends.  Do something bad, and they will tell everyone

with zest and gusto. Been testing for 20 years, been in business for about half that.  Said situation regarding bad vs good publicity

is true on both fronts.

Hey, defend it if you want, that's your choice.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I regret buying two accounts.  If this is where the

game is going, I'd gladly accept a refund. (Can I get a refund?)

The devs are going to have to do some serious fixing to get many of their testers back. Wiping the servers at this point would just be a slap in the face

to the folks who put a huge amount of time into this game.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I think the biggest problem many are having is that the game in pre-alpha was playable. Granted some things were broken or yet to be introduced,

but at the end of the day people were having fun. Friends were made, guilds were formed, and for the first time in a long time it felt like a great MMO.

The last couple of patches have wrecked that. Many are still friends, just now they're playing someone elses game instead of testing this one.

Every single one of those testers knew what they were signing up for.  And they tested this game probably more than most would given the time commitment

this game required before the patches.

By adding senseless grinding, asinine mobs, and crippling players in both crafting and combat, they pushed too hard and chased them off.  I honestly had hoped that the last couple of patches were just bad missteps and that fixes would be coming.  The longer they take to fix this game, the less likely there'll be an audience to play it when it is finished.

1 hour ago, binny45 said:

By adding senseless grinding, asinine mobs, and crippling players in both crafting and combat, they pushed too hard and chased them off.  I honestly had hoped that the last couple of patches were just bad missteps and that fixes would be coming.  The longer they take to fix this game, the less likely there'll be an audience to play it when it is finished.

This— people have gotten sick of the pve focus of a game marketed as pvp—

and they are now playing Conquer’s blade or other stuff because it’s fun..

and the longer the game takes to get rebalanced the harder it is to reactivate people— if they get invested somewhere else

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

26 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

This— people have gotten sick of the pve focus of a game marketed as pvp—

and they are now playing Conquer’s blade or other stuff because it’s fun..

and the longer the game takes to get rebalanced the harder it is to reactivate people— if they get invested somewhere else

QFT! I know this game has the potential to be great.  Many people are just turned off by the direction they're taking, alpha or not.  From the looks of things, the current state is what they hope to build on. If this is the case, the game will not succeed. They need to listen to the players more.