Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
binny45

What would it take to get you playing again?

Posted (edited)

The same thing happened a couple years ago when people got disgruntled ACE decided to work on EKs rather than campaigns. They’ll probably be back for dregs. How long they stay depends on how polished the UX is by then

lmao! didn’t know disgruntled was a censor

Edited by coolster50

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

4 hours ago, Cyphergaiden said:

You are missing the point of the game. What you want is a game that eventually dies. Completely, as losers start completely quitting the game. Shadowbane had this problem, all iterations of Darkfall had this problem, most RvR games have this problem. Fighting the same people, for the same things everything over and over again get's tedious and boring. 

Campaigns fix this problem. For testing, they need to cycle quickly to test features. But once live, they can be longer, say 1year+ and it'll have all the features you like because that's the entire point of the game....

I think a compromise needs to be made. Maybe have a persistent campaign that lacks R9 and R10 resources and then keep the faction 1v1v1 campaigns for big league.

53 minutes ago, ilogos said:

I think a compromise needs to be made. Maybe have a persistent campaign that lacks R9 and R10 resources and then keep the faction 1v1v1 campaigns for big league.

I don't think the campaigns should be persistent at all, what you suggest here is fine for a game world rule set, which they already have planned IIRC. But it would still be beneficial to make it a season, but perhaps longer, say 4-6 months. All games with heavy factional PvP stagnate over time.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, Cyphergaiden said:

You are missing the point of the game. What you want is a game that eventually dies. Completely, as losers start completely quitting the game. Shadowbane had this problem, all iterations of Darkfall had this problem, most RvR games have this problem. Fighting the same people, for the same things everything over and over again get's tedious and boring. 

I believe it's more a problem of "Uncle Bob" as ACE calls it. The same players winning/losing is what gets people leaving. Which is usually due to systems that keep the winners winning and the losers losing.

Lobby/eSport games are very repetitive but are massively more popular then MMOs that cram thousands of hours of content in and continue to do so over time. People love competitive games that at least attempt to balance when possible.

Many MMOs have RvR/Arenas that are popular as well. So it isn't just FPS/RTS type games that keep people coming back.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, Cyphergaiden said:

Campaigns fix this problem. For testing, they need to cycle quickly to test features. But once live, they can be longer, say 1year+ and it'll have all the features you like because that's the entire point of the game....

Campaigns have yet to show they "fix" anything. The same guilds/faction have been winning Trial after Trial. Which is due to various factors, but it remains all the same. Having more players and campaigns will likely mix it up, but if it just the same 10 guilds winning 10 campaigns over and over, doesn't really "fix" anything. Losers can choose who they lose to I guess?

Crowfall is in a funky middle ground trying to hold on to what people enjoy about persistent MMOs but at the same time try to capture the lobby/eSport feel. Currently seems it's way too much in the Uncle Bob side. Too much prep work, not enough action/reward.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, Cyphergaiden said:

As far as testing, we need a testing world where everyone can spawn at max level/max point cap to test everything.

I wasn't aware that's how test worked, but that makes sense. All the people complaining about losing leveling and all that jazz should probably just play on test. That's my plan next

Test is nice for having relatively quick/easy access to a full build although crafting high end stuff still takes time. However, as I've been the only player on Test more then once, can't exactly "test" things beyond what an individual can do or a small group.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:18 PM, Cyphergaiden said:

It's alpha

Believe it's actually still "pre-alpha" but doesn't mean much either way.

Probably nothing. I got 5 guys to be paid supporters and we are all very disappointed at this farm sim. I aired my grievances on the forums in a constructive way, but was basically shot down by fanboys. Well now here we are, those fanboys are also complaining.

Currently playing Mordhau then will probably move on to something like Elder Scrolls VI. What a shame, they should have built the spiritual successor to Shadowbane but they pretended to do that while actually building a theme park WoW clone and on top of that a theme park WoW engine clone for other companies to license and make their own theme park WoW clones.

Artcraft is playing a game called Unity, and giving us the lackluster results.

I wonder if they fixed the bug where Druid orbs can't be cast on platforms?

Sorry to be harsh, this game needs a fire lit under its ass.

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see more ECONOMY with linked vendors (terminals) in building structures and camps that help identify items for sale and their location to the vendor to pick the purchased item up.
With the next patch including selling of items for gold to PVE vendors (instead of just sacrifice choice) Terminals would help find player crafted items of what we need quickly without relying on specific guildmates to be on to create them, or explore various areas to find them in random vendors. (An Information hub, all while standing guard at a castle or crafting area.
- Creates "main city hangouts" from placed terminals. and PVP dueling areas).
- This also offers a way to find known player names listed that offer well made crafting expertise items, and then message them for special build orders later on.
- Terminals also then point you to exploration to see others custom made EKs/vendor areas. (custom built structures/player decorations)
- Terminals could also have advance Vendor tree line advancements like location/distance visibility, "reserve item to pickup" or lesser "first come first serve".. etc.

STARTING GEAR / FILLED STARTING TREE SKILL LINES (auto filled/starting playstyle profession choice options) For tester or quick start campaign types.
A profession/class abilities selection choice at campaign starts. A way to not have to wait for gatherers/crafters/themselves to create weak starting items in order to jump into PVP/crafting, that currently would be at a later play session date. (after geared/gathered)
(We are after all chosen by the gods, why not have instant character power gratification with some filled in ability trees?)
- Crafters are given maybe a stealth right off the bat, or run fast starter ability(fast as mount) to help dodge some early PVP encounters while out gathering (if done correctly/timeframe).
Maybe a certification to purchase certain craft items off PVE vendors that a combat selection character could not buy right away at start of campaign.
- And then PVPers would get starting weapons/ earlier adv gear using certification, or heath boost filled tree line at start, to give confidence for early combat. (knowing starting crafters/gatherers might be relying on fast/stealth get aways for a while, instead of gaining gear early on.)

Furthermore would love to see:
ZERG SPLIT UP/MORE OBJECTIVES for siege events for runners (small groups) to do.
Something stealthers can pick off of with these small objective running groups during sieges.
Also different ideas to siege victory/points like: Plague and life trees maybe drop buff items to run to other tree to buff/debuff its stats, or even an event to wake a patrolling fire breathing dragon out of a cavern to burn/block castle pathways/damage castles already under seige, resource built instant auto turrets, wall rebuilding/maintaining by resupplying with resources (ESO style)..etc.)

Maybe some ADDON PARCELS to campaign keeps/castles siege areas that are resource built, but with a cost of them being destructible (rez parcel, adv crafting stations, vendors, auto turrets)..a secondary win condition to sabotage enemy keeps if unable to cap the keep fully. (a start to seiging/secondary method)
I like the factor of logging on to see different built up keeps with “addons” to then plan small raids to come over and take them down. (atleast costing that faction resources)

Mostly SWG inspired stuff for me../ stuff that encourages guild forming within the game first.
(and yes, custom player built castle buildings/areas within campaigns would be great too that are PVP destructible. ..Eventually.)

Edited by TwinGemini

The combination of:

• Dregs (Player made alliances/non-factional)
  • Free(r) building in CWs
  • Non-random resource positioning
  • Full guild interface and system with ranks corresponding to control over buildings, upkeep, thralls, etc.
  • Full Embargo Loop

Some are done, some are kind of done, some are not.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Posted (edited)

What would it take to get you playing again?

* Character customization cleavage slider

Nothing like a good set of knockers to get me back in the mood

Edited by Hunt

Posted (edited)

Been saying this since the start.  You have a "CRAFT-SIMULATOR" that has absolutely ZERO fun involved.  Stop and think about what brought MMO's to top tier AAA status...

1.  LORE.  It united you and your guild/faction of players to a common cause.  It was interesting, unique, and you carried a sense of pride behind playing there.  This game has a fragment of that.  You walk around in places named some ridiculous name because someone "purchased" the right to do so.

2.  The classes are dry, stale, cookie-cutter builds that basically let you "fail-safe" your character.  What caused WoW to lose its playerbase of die-hards??? Welcome to the pruning and dumb-downed removal of talent tree's.  (aka character creation/personal design).  UO had it, Shadowbane had it, DAOC had it..but nope, not this game.

3.  GRIND!!! Grind grind grind grind grind for what?  To hit your lvl cap, then rinse, repeat, and do it again on another body/vessel.  Sorry, but I said this was dumb ages ago and it still sits the same.  You want war and engaging players?  FORCE IT!  Put up mob camps with rare drops, runes, weapons/armor etc so people go there and fight over it.

4.  No sense of character attachment whatsoever.  I have no connection with my toons and can really care-less about them.  In the end i know its a throw-away and i'll just have to build a new body thats a "prettier color, green, blue etc" so who cares.  DAOC kept players because each RR mattered...this is just another wasted crafting simulator experience.

Noted Improvements so far:

1. The music/atmosphere has gotten alot "darker".  This is a good thing, noticed this right away after running around for 2 minutes.  2 big thumbs up for bringing this over...Hoping to hear more.  (especially if you bring back the desert lands...that music was top-notch!)

I'm sorry for being harsh, my friends and I had VERY high hopes for this; but its NOT nor is it even in the same tier of Shadowbane.  I'll never understand how this even happened.  The majority of pre-backers in this game wanted nostalgia back.  I still have my old Shadowbane lore/strategy guide I flip thru time to time...was so deep in complexity with builds, races, stats etc...

Feel free to browse my old posts. Either this. dev team DROPS all this ridiculous grinding/crafting or you have yourself a busted farm simulator.

Wrain

Edited by Wrain

2 hours ago, Wrain said:

3.  GRIND!!! Grind grind grind grind grind for what?  To hit your lvl cap, then rinse, repeat, and do it again on another body/vessel.  Sorry, but I said this was dumb ages ago and it still sits the same.  You want war and engaging players?  FORCE IT!  Put up mob camps with rare drops, runes, weapons/armor etc so people go there and fight over it.

You seem to be both justifying a grind (so people go there and fight over it) and complaining about the grind at the same time.

IhhQKY6.gif

3 hours ago, Wrain said:

You want war and engaging players?  FORCE IT!  Put up mob camps with rare drops, runes, weapons/armor etc so people go there and fight over it.

While this seems to be their plan, I would like to see a bit more complexity/strategy to it then just gank those mid PVE fight so the victors can then try to play the RNG slot machines without being ganked themselves.

Something more like Darkness Falls from DAoC. Totally lock out good PVE content until XYZ conditions are met. Or Relics that provide guild/faction wide benefits.

This causes players of different play styles to work together across the map/world. If a guild or faction can control everything all the time, they should have won the campaign already.

Some PVP rewards like RR wouldn't hurt either... CU better launch in my lifetime.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, Samulus said:

Class balance. I got my brother on yesterday, he promptly got a Ranger to level 15 with my help and concluded: "yeah, it runs smoother and feels better, but until they fix bow damage and all the underpowered skills I'm not playing for a while". I don't blame him.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 12:41 PM, Jah said:

I quoted what I was replying to. Did you read it?

Of course. I am saying that there is a way to implement rare item camps that do not require grinding, instead requiring preparation and timing.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jah said:

The Shadowbane discipline rune hunting system worked. The discipline droppers spawned in predictable places, and always dropped one specific rune, so it wasn't RNG. Other people knew where the mob would drop as well, so it led to small scale PvP. You might not always get the rune, but someone did. It was great!

Edited by Pann
See PM

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, McTan said:

Of course. I am saying that there is a way to implement rare item camps that do not require grinding, instead requiring preparation and timing. Stop being obtuse in all these threads man, it's getting really old and counterproductive.

Please don't quote my reply to someone else, add an unrelated tangent, and then accuse me of being obtuse. Thanks.

Yes, I think SB-style disc droppers are a better alternative to RNG based disc droppers. That has little to do with my comment about what Wrain said. I don't think many people would consider the guaranteed drops from SB disc droppers to be "rare drops." Rare drops imply a low percentage chance of the item dropping.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jah said:

Please don't quote my reply to someone else, add an unrelated tangent, and then accuse me of being obtuse. Thanks.

Yes, I think SB-style disc droppers are a better alternative to RNG based disc droppers. That has little to do with my comment about what Wrain said. I don't think many people would consider the guaranteed drops from SB disc droppers to be "rare drops." Rare drops imply a low percentage chance of the item dropping.

You mean like the elite equipment droppers in SB? What about the highest level camps with increased drop rates for stat runes? Guards? All improved the daily struggle, as even with RNG, specific camps and places had improved rates (sometimes even 100%, as you note).

You could have simply said, "yes I agree, discipline droppers would be a good idea, and possibly some other types of organizations that limit grinding and instead provide PoIs that help with 'war and engaging players,'" as the initial post in question stated.

Instead you did not say anything like that, doubled-down on your hard-line that his comment only implied grind-based RNG drops (even though he said runes and has a SB icon next to his name). You portrayed him as an advocate for grinds because he suggested building camps that encourage dispute, "so people go there and fight over it" - if that is considered grind, then they should put in a grind.

That was what was obtuse.

Good luck, I understand -W- is really finding some great fights in CF, on the regular! I'll show myself back off these boards for another few months.

Edited by McTan

2 minutes ago, McTan said:

You mean like the elite equipment droppers in SB? What about the highest level camps with increased drop rates for stat runes? Guards?

You could have simply said, "yes I agree, discipline droppers would be a good idea, and possibly some other types of organizations that limit grinding and instead provide PoIs that help with 'war and engaging players,'" as the initial post in question stated.

Instead you did not say anything like that, doubled-down on your hard-line that his comment only implied grind-based RNG drops (even though he said runes and has a SB icon next to his name). You portrayed him as an advocate for grinds because he suggested building camps that encourage dispute, "so people go there and fight over it" - if that is considered grind, then they should put in a grind.

Good luck, I understand -W- is really finding some great fights in CF, on the regular! I'll show myself back off these boards for another few months.

I've seen this discussion on the "Item Rewards" thread as well. Todd said they are re approaching how disciplines appear in the game and doesn't like the RNG system. I think doing a War Tribes + Special discipline dropper is a great idea! It would provide more incentive to hunt these tribes down on the map, and keep the disciplines in the market that isn't entirely dependent on RNG. 

6 minutes ago, McTan said:

You mean like the elite equipment droppers in SB? What about the highest level camps with increased drop rates for stat runes? Guards?

Instead you did not say anything like that, doubled-down on your hard-line that his comment only implied grind-based RNG drops (even though he said runes and has a SB icon next to his name). You portrayed him as an advocate for grinds because he suggested building camps that encourage dispute, "so people go there and fight over it" - if that is considered grind, then they should put in a grind.

The elite equipment droppers, high level camps, and stat runes were RNG loot. People did grind them. The R7 Guards were an XP grind. Things that some people would call a "grind" can also be a source of PvP conflict.

No, it wasn't obtuse. I was simply pointing out that I saw a contradiction between complaining about the grind and simultaneously asking for "mob camps with rare drops, runes, weapons/armor etc so people go there and fight over it." ACE have actually been adding those exact things. They do serve the purpose of adding something for people to fight over, but people also complain about them being a grind.

IhhQKY6.gif