Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
binny45

What would it take to get you playing again?

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

As it stands the current answer to us asking for larger group size is being told it present problems with the UI and clutter.  They would also have to go through every power and adjust it for the new size.  It seems unlikely to be changed any time soon. 

UI is an excuse.  The current UI is bad and should be revisited to making better. Sleeker more customizable by the player

1 hour ago, Staff said:

ui is just an easy excuse for them, ui is easy to change, if they really cant figure it out just copy paste eso's, and when they actually balance every class which will require them to go through every power they can just do it then

Yes.  I agree.  There are many games who get the ui right and so I am always confused when a new game tries to reinvent the wheel regarding ui.  Use what works, stop trying to reinvent it....

2 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

UI is an excuse.  The current UI is bad and should be revisited to making better. Sleeker more customizable by the player

When though?  Dregs, guilds, class balance, mines, caravans, frostweaver, discipline thralls.  When do you redo the ui and all of that work in addition to changing every power in the game to compensate for the new group size? 

I 100% want it to change but I just don’t see when they will sit down and do it. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

3 minutes ago, mandalore said:

When though?  Dregs, guilds, class balance, mines, caravans, frostweaver, discipline thralls.  When do you redo the ui and all of that work in addition to changing every power in the game to compensate for the new group size? 

I 100% want it to change but I just don’t see when they will sit down and do it. 

Since I am not on the dev team and not prevy to the internal working I can't answer that but if you force an answer out of me, I say soon.  This is our cockpit, our control system, the way we interact with their world they have created and I am always so confused how little thought some game designers put into it.  A UI will literally make or break a game for me.  It is that important so it should be addressed soon.  It probably should have been addressed before the lobby ui was addressed since we spend seconds in the lobby vs hours in the game but I guess their priorities are flawed.  In my opinion.   :):)  

honestly the lobby ui feels like some dev was working during his lunch break and showed jtodd it and they decided to send it through, why would they ever put any resources into something so insignificant so early, the lobby background could be a repeating clip of he-man singing and no one would care, in fact i think this would pump up the playerbase before going in the campaign

hoayaga2.jpg

8 hours ago, mandalore said:

As it stands the current answer to us asking for larger group size is being told it present problems with the UI and clutter.

This is because the UI is medicore to begin with and needs to be cleaned up or given to us to control as talked about a long time ago and similar to what a good chunk of MMOs allow and have for years.

8 hours ago, mandalore said:

They would also have to go through every power and adjust it for the new size.

It wouldn't need to be EVERY power. There aren't that many non-single target heals/buffs in this game. Believe they already had it where certain powers could hit other friendlies outside of group but they've since changed it. For powers that are group specific and not targeted (buff hits everyone within 10 meters) it could be set to only hit the nearest 5 or specific number. This increases tactics where healers and buffs in general aren't just mindless fire and forget. Or change all the non-target powers to be ground targeted and it hits the first ~5 that step in it which again increases the important of tactics and player positioning of both sides of a fight.

7 hours ago, mandalore said:

In-game UI is supposedly already getting a face lift. Now would be the perfect time to plan for the future, instead of making 20390 versions of rough draft UI. The small party UI needs to be completely redone (shields, extra space, and buffs/debuffs removed or redone), a larger party UI should be less work as most games have condensed name, health, resource, and some indicator of class.

Believe they are on at least the 3rd UI dev, not sure what all their duties are. The overall UI seems fairly important though as it is how we all interact with the game all the time, regardless of group size, class, activity, etc.

They could also create a system to allow us to customize everything ourselves. I've never used a default UI when this is an option. It has always amazed me that individuals or small groups of folks are able to create (for free) addons that far surpass the game provided versions. Maybe the tech they are using can't allow this?

6 minutes ago, APE said:

This is because the UI is medicore to begin with and needs to be cleaned up or given to us to control as talked about a long time ago and similar to what a good chunk of MMOs allow and have for years.

It wouldn't need to be EVERY power. There aren't that many non-single target heals/buffs in this game. Believe they already had it where certain powers could hit other friendlies outside of group but they've since changed it. For powers that are group specific and not targeted (buff hits everyone within 10 meters) it could be set to only hit the nearest 5 or specific number. This increases tactics where healers and buffs in general aren't just mindless fire and forget. Or change all the non-target powers to be ground targeted and it hits the first ~5 that step in it which again increases the important of tactics and player positioning of both sides of a fight.

In-game UI is supposedly already getting a face lift. Now would be the perfect time to plan for the future, instead of making 20390 versions of rough draft UI. The small party UI needs to be completely redone (shields, extra space, and buffs/debuffs removed or redone), a larger party UI should be less work as most games have condensed name, health, resource, and some indicator of class.

Believe they are on at least the 3rd UI dev, not sure what all their duties are. The overall UI seems fairly important though as it is how we all interact with the game all the time, regardless of group size, class, activity, etc.

They could also create a system to allow us to customize everything ourselves. I've never used a default UI when this is an option. It has always amazed me that individuals or small groups of folks are able to create (for free) addons that far surpass the game provided versions. Maybe the tech they are using can't allow this?

The default UI in SB was exceedingly customizable.  It could be moved, scaled up or down and transparency could be altered.  You could drag your powers wherever you want them.   You could create chat boxes, change fonts, change colors, add specific channels.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

2 hours ago, mandalore said:

The default UI in SB was exceedingly customizable.  It could be moved, scaled up or down and transparency could be altered.  You could drag your powers wherever you want them.   You could create chat boxes, change fonts, change colors, add specific channels.  

Sounds like a great UI  :)  my fear is if/when they "re-address" the in game UI, they take a lazy approach and just make some cosmetic changes to UI instead of really making the UI something people can get behind.  I've seen this happen to many times in games and of course games always have an excuse for taking this poor approach but I always find the excuse complete and total BS.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mandalore said:

That's nice for a default UI. Can only hope ACE copies this as well at some point. All of that plus being able to turn off or remove some of the current elements or at least parts of them would be good enough for me.

I'd remove XP bar, power bar backgrounds, season tracker, gear durability, faction point system from top, and top left corner pre-alpha details (fps, loc, server, etc). Chicken ticker as own element and just one drumstick with a percent/number or remove it all and add another small bar under stamina.

Group UI I'd remove my name, at least buffs of others if not debuffs too, guild/faction shields, leaving hp/resource/barrier condensed with names inside health bar. Probably be about 25% of the current size.

Buffs/Debuffs I'd split and or make a split between long and short term. Option to remove race/passive/season buff indicators. Maybe just have large icon + timer, no words.

This would leave all I need to play the game. Most of which is toggle and resizing and fairly amateur hour when it comes to UI customization in a modern game.

There's function over form and then there's removing the form to allow function.

Edited by APE

On 6/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, Jah said:

We have that, its the TEST server. You don't spawn at max level, but you can level to max in minutes with unlimited free resources.

Now if only Test was up on a regular basis so we could actually test things. 😛

On 6/21/2019 at 4:16 AM, Staff said:

honestly the lobby ui feels like some dev was working during his lunch break and showed jtodd it and they decided to send it through, why would they ever put any resources into something so insignificant so early, the lobby background could be a repeating clip of he-man singing and no one would care, in fact i think this would pump up the playerbase before going in the campaign

A) I loooooooooooved He-man when I was a boi.

2) I watched that from start to Finish.

IX) I'd never leave the lobby if you were singing in it.