Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

my frustration with crowdfunding, explained

My only qualms are just my view on the pre-alpha and backer/tester relationship vs how it boils down.
When I got into crowfall, I legitimately wanted to do testing, not early access to content to play with.
Maybe its organization and someone will send me a link to exactly what I'm about to describe.
I'd hoped it was going to work out something along the lines of.
Developer: "Hey guys we put in some new armor and weapons, we put vendors that have every item related to equipment next to a duel ground and some training dummies. Stat resets are there, please test and write in detail about your experience and methodology"

My ideas on testing were that testers were given a goal, maybe still had freedoms to test other aspects or even just play around a bit and have fun, but were given the tools to test efficiently. I don't think the developers coding everything is gathering and crafting after every item they test breaks. I'm pretty sure they spawn it in some way or another, cause why would they take the long way?

But we're not testers/backers that will be players when the game launches
We're treated as players, with no goal, that has pacing implemented.
And that's something that legit needs testing too, pacing. But priorities people, the pacing of progression should, at least in my opinion, be one of the last things implemented, in the beta test, the cherry on the top. Doing it in pre-alpha either makes it harder for each phase to test efficiently, or it gets disabled and updates makes it outdated, and either needs to be retested before launch or is launched on faulty reasoning.
Pre-Alpha testing with testers who are doing this for free and even paid into this, doing this on their own time in their lives? I'd have expected specific goals regarding the tests, tools to make it happen and cross barriers, and all the data so the reports that the serious testers give back are as useful as possible.

Love the premise of the game, love the lore that's on the site, love what's unique. Just make the distinction clear between testers and players. 

I know everyone comes on here saying "I want this", so this will just look like another one of those posts. However, I think it would be good for a weekly or monthly status update on big ticket items (Like the top 10). I like how they address it in the Q&A, but I think it would fit well on this website. I was taking a look at the Camelot Unchained and they followed this approach. They listed all the items of importance and gave updates as to their progress.

Stay true to your original concept- The world needs SBII that works. It doesn't need another random loot chasing wow clone.

We came here because we believed in YOU @jtoddcoleman.  This group of people is the only group that could have funded your dream, because 15 year old's don't invest hundreds or thousands of dollars in a game idea. But us 50 year olds Nostalgic for the good ole days of SB do.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

1 hour ago, PaleOne said:

Stay true to your original concept- The world needs SBII that works. It doesn't need another random loot chasing wow clone.

You know there was random loot in SB, right? It had random gear drops from mobs with prefixes and suffixes, exactly like the new system. Stat runes and weapon mastery runes were random drops. Contracts for hirelings were random drops. I'm surprised at how many SB vets think mob camps and loot drops are a departure from the SB concept.

IhhQKY6.gif