Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Item Rewards - Official discussion thread

Really excited about this.

How will that work? do we just tick a box for the prefix / suffix we want? What happens to sub component recipes? Currently I could make a 2h weapon that uses 10 metal bars. I could get 10 different combinations of stats on each bar and put it on each weapon. Can get 2 more combos with grips, etc. Would I see a weapon with 10+ prefix / suffix? Would sub component stats just be listed but not named?

Edit - I misread the article and assumed that we could choose prefix / suffix.

How will this change how we craft gear? Will it be unchanged? How will we get base stats on crafted gear? 

Edited by Yoink

aeei5jG.png

Looks good.

Few questions about how "random" this will be:

Will loot drops be based on NPC type? Ex: Can a Champion NPC drop Pistols?

Will item quality be based on NPC rank/difficulty?

Will items go up to Legendary or have a ceiling to keep high end crafting more valuable?

Believe this addition will do good for the overall experience and game loop, but still hoping we see more PVP systems added prior to launch. Fighting over PVE stuff is fine, but there isn't much for larger strategy or conquest.

Edited by APE

This is great! Nice writeup @thomasblair!

I really like the system for having prefixes, core attribute and suffix. Reminds me of rolling gear in Shadowbane. I like the stat choices for the armor too as they just make it so much more interesting than what we currently have. 

I also REALLY like that we will get armor/weapon drops from monsters. Aside from the more obvious pro's like allowing players to gear up quicker this also gives me hope that we may see equipped item loot in the Dregs after all. I could see people wearing "dropped gear" as an "everyday" type of armor and save the high end crafted stuff for sieges. That risk/reward component of not always wearing your best armor in fear that you might lose it is missing from the current faction campaigns in Crowfall and I certainly hope it appears in the Dregs. 

7 minutes ago, Yoink said:

Really excited about this. The drops off mobs are nice but really looking forward to playing the the crafting prefixes / suffix.

How will that work? do we just tick a box for the prefix / suffix we want? What happens to sub component recipes? Currently I could make a 2h weapon that uses 10 metal bars. I could get 10 different combinations of stats on each bar and put it on each weapon. Can get 2 more combos with grips, etc. Would I see a weapon with 10+ prefix / suffix? Would sub component stats just be listed but not named?

These aren’t crafted their dropped. I expect the theoretical future recipes from salvaging them to grant a bonus or slot or something that we don’t currently have from other component combos.

My main concern is if this is going to put a floor on crafted gear such that anything below it will be practically worthless if drop gear is relatively commonly attainable. This has strong potential to disrupt the crafting side of things for anyone not at the high end of the crafting spectrum.

Edited by Duffy

lPoLZtm.png

You have a tester base screaming it’s sick of grinding for randomized loot...so you add more randomized loot....

And on top of that I see nothing about the horrendous state of bank/inventory management. Something there’s a weekly new thread complaint about. But now we are getting more junk to have to hold on to/deal with...

crafters are begging for an economy, but you’re effectively removing the need for the crafters to produce items for it....

It seems like there is a major disconnect between the devs and testers. Different visions of what this game is supposed to be. One wants a game with meaningful PvP and a crafting economy. And the other wants you to grind grind grind and maybe get some lame PvP in the process.

1 minute ago, oneply said:

You have a tester base screaming it’s sick of grinding for randomized loot...so you add more randomized loot....

And on top of that I see nothing about the horrendous state of bank/inventory management. Something there’s a weekly new thread complaint about. But now we are getting more junk to have to hold on to/deal with...

crafters are begging for an economy, but you’re effectively removing the need for the crafters to produce items for it....

It seems like there is a major disconnect between the devs and testers. Different visions of what this game is supposed to be. One wants a game with meaningful PvP and a crafting economy. And the other wants you to grind grind grind and maybe get some lame PvP in the process.

Devs: "We want an easy in easy out system for gear, we want players crafting to matter, and let players choice have impact"
Players: Awesome! Hey crafted gear is pretty awesome and our gathering and crafting team is doing really well! on the right track!
Devs: "Oh no, players have been moving through our testing material too fast! Guess we better randomize things and grind everything to a slow crawl"
Players: "Crafting is harder than ever, decent stuff isn't feasible to crank out as much. Its really out of our hand and doesnt feel so fun anymore. Plus why you slowing down testing? We need to experiment and stuff"
Devs: "...And while we're at it, make randomized loot roughly equal to what beginner/intermediate crafters can make, making the difference negligible. Also make disciplines beyond white quality only drop randomly and vessels can only equip disciplines of at least equal quality"
Players: "Are we a joke to you?"

Does this sum it up?

9 minutes ago, oneply said:

Economies require people to make them function.

1 hour ago, APE said:

Looks good.

Will loot drops be based on NPC type? Ex: Can a Champion NPC drop Pistols?

That’ll probably be what happens, at least until we get a Guinecean Mafia Familia wartribe :P

1 minute ago, srathor said:

Hell I don't even know what to yell about. 

hm. 

Where are we going to put all this new loot?

Crafters?

Hell, Players?

Bueller? Bueller?

Sell it to a vendor and be done with it?  Or sell it on a vendor and wait till the vendor takes it as collateral? :P 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Seems to sort of sideline gathering/crafting loop and further puts pressure on an already broken economy. Since many folks will want to save their best gear(crafted In most cases I read) for sieges, there will be less reason to buy everyday gear.

Players: "The economy is broken because of the loot grind."

ACE: "Sorry about that. We'll put some gear in your grind so you don't need an economy."

Edited by PopeUrban
Edited to correct font size.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

This whole economy thing is a problem generated by the devs having faction play as an option.  In the dregs, guilds/alliances will keep it all in-house.  They will craft for themselves, harvest for themselves, and gear themselves.  They won't be selling stuff to the enemy.   There will be no overall economy to speak of, especially in low-import campaigns.

In faction play, and for those people wanting trade EKs, there's a lot of talk of the economy and making stuff to sell.  It feels like the economy will be casual unaffiliated players selling to casual unaffiliated players.  Or big guilds selling their surplus to casual unaffiliated players in high-import faction campaigns, assuming the devs can come up with a currency casuals can get that has appeal to the big guild sellers.

I have been saying for a couple of years now that the economy in Crowfall won't work, and I still see nothing that indicates that changing.

That said, I applaud the item reward loop presented in the article.  It will definitely help solo and casual players gear up to viable levels without having to take their harvesting rewards to multiple crafters who may or may not be available in the pre-alpha environment.  And because the gear won't be perfectly itemized, or as strong as well-crafted epic and legendary gear, crafters will always have work.  While my harvesting alts will almost certainly make do with found gear, my crafter alts and main characters will have purpose-crafted gear.

32 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Players: "The economy is broken because of the loot grind."

ACE: "Sorry about that. We'll put some gear in your grind so you don't need an economy. 

At first I laughed. Then I was sad as you hit a bit of truth. 

Edited by Pann