Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Item Rewards - Official discussion thread

16 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

Like I said before.  These arguments are not new and were not accurate when they were made in those other situations and I believe they are being blown out of proportion here as well.  :)  

What part of what I said is not accurate or blown out of proportion?

How long do you think it will take crafters to train up to the point they can compete with epic gear drops from mobs? And remember, training is currently 3X faster than the planned rate.

IhhQKY6.gif

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

The passive system is not the problem.  It has been a success in other situations and has been shown to work.  I think this argument is a sign of the times we live in  ie the instant gratification time.  Everyone wants a quick way to get everything right now, ie power level to the top.  There is a lot to be said for a slower steadier progression in most things.  :)  Of course for the spoiled "I need it right now!"  person, I'm speaking to a wall..  :)  :)  

The situation where crafters will not be able to compete with dropped loot for months after a wipe is 100% due to passive training. Passive training made sense when we did not have a leveling/talent system. Now that we do it is redundant, time gates new players and really doesn't provide fun game play to anyone.

Stating passive training works in other games doesn't mean it works in CF. In Eve you can max a role in a month and be on equal footing as a 10 year player in that role. More training in that game provides more role options. This is not true in crowfall, there is literally years of training before you cap and that creates a insurmountable gap between veterans and newbs.

Edited by dreaden

10 minutes ago, Dakoth said:

crafters don’t really have that option unless they eliminate the bonus you get from the blacksmithing rune, or move it to the same slot the harvesting runes occupy.

you basically just told crafters to go make themselves easy marks for pvpers, because if you don’t think guilds like Winterblades, Clamstackers, HoA, FoE, UDL, HaX, UxA, and CC aren’t going to have ranging bands of pvpers looking to harvest the harvesters you haven’t been paying close enough attention.

I don't agree with this either.  currently my crafter, harvester toon has zero combat skills and I have leveled it to 30 with strictly sacrifice items so if it gets jumped its sol.  I am still out there harvesting daily and I rarely get jumped.  I run a stealth toon so I have a good shot at getting away if I am and also they have said they plan to implement some things so that in the cat and mouse game, its NOT all cat so I think this idea is being overblown as well  :) 

14 minutes ago, Jah said:

What part of what I said is not accurate or blown out of proportion?

How long do you think it will take crafters to train up to the point they can compete with epic gear drops from mobs? And remember, training is currently 3X faster than the planned rate.

3 minutes ago, dreaden said:

The situation where crafters will not be able to compete with dropped loot for months after a wipe is 100% due to passive training. Passive training made sense when we did not have a leveling/talent system. Now that we do it is redundant, time gatesnew players and really doesn't provide fun game play to anyone.

Stating passive training works in other games doesn't mean it works in CF. In Eve you can max a role in a month and be on equal footing as a 10 year player in that role. More training in that game provides more role options. This is not true in crowfall, there is literally years of training before you cap and that creates a insurmountable gap between veterans and newbs.

To answer both of you, yes after final wipe we are all reset to zero and start over and I believe the training time will be slowed down though I think there is uncertainty how slow it will be so that is still up for debate either way it will be slower.  I don't think this is a bad thing.  As the game comes out of a strictly testing phase and into a more permanent phase I believe they will want more new players, players who have NOT gotten into the game during the pre alpha.  I think it is a good thing to slow the progress of the currently community a smidgen so that they don't get so far ahead of those newer players that those newer players get discourage and leave.  The learning curve in crafting is already pretty steep without taking into account these "veterans" of the testing environment who already know all the ins and outs of the crafting spring boarding themselves forward in regards to their training.  slower progression will be good for the game as a whole and there is still a debate how long that time will be before a crafter can out craft these drops.  I believe also they are talking about tombs to allow faster progression so trying to take the "current" state of the game and speak to how it will be at final wipe and beyond is not the correct approach.  :)  

11 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

I don't agree with this either.  currently my crafter, harvester toon has zero combat skills and I have leveled it to 30 with strictly sacrifice items so if it gets jumped its sol.  I am still out there harvesting daily and I rarely get jumped.  I run a stealth toon so I have a good shot at getting away if I am and also they have said they plan to implement some things so that in the cat and mouse game, its NOT all cat so I think this idea is being overblown as well  :) 

Just wait til embargo is in and we go back to the days of stealthers camping all the good nodes and roving gank bands running 10+ deep hoovering up gatherers and their resources. 😛

Do not mistake the steady downward trend of activity as reflecting long term interactions. We don’t gank much for loot cause of the spirit bank, but once it’s gone “alternative gathering” becomes a regularly rewarding activity again.

lPoLZtm.png

7 minutes ago, Surelia said:

embargo will change that ;)

I don't believe it will.  I am already thinking of ways to avoid and minimize the damage these "gangs" will have on me.  Also I think this notion of "roaming gangs" ganking harvesters is being overblown.  Most people keep screaming they want "quality" pvp against a good opponent and many crafters are not set up to pvp and as such would not pose a challenge for someone truly wanting a pvp match so we shall see what happens.  sure there will be those out to gank.  hell I plan to gank a little on my combat toon but ultimately that will lose its appeal after a while because I want a challenge.  :)  either way we shall see :)  

well in the end we all can take many guesses, but we dont want to have to hope for a good one, do we?

they community made the point clear now the devs will serve and we will see...

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

To answer both of you, yes after final wipe we are all reset to zero and start over and I believe the training time will be slowed down though I think there is uncertainty how slow it will be so that is still up for debate either way it will be slower.  I don't think this is a bad thing. 

You didn't answer my question. I didn't say slower is a bad thing, I asked how long you think it will take to train crafters to the point that they can compete with epic gear drops.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

You didn't answer my question. I didn't say slower is a bad thing, I asked how long you think it will take to train crafters to the point that they can compete with epic gear drops.

we don't have that answer yet because we don't know what the training time will be (not really)  or if there will be other ways to speed it up so I choose not to speculate :)  

2 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

we don't have that answer yet because we don't know what the training time will be (not really)  or if there will be other ways to speed it up so I choose not to speculate :)  

As I said, this is a valid problem and one that we will have to solve before launch.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

1 hour ago, Jah said:

If mobs are dropping gear that is rare or even epic, I don't see how crafters will compete with that until they have months of passive training under their belt.

I trust that this issue can be solved, but it won't be easy.

You just need a couple weeks, probably 3 max (specifically if training is kept 3x at launch (blair plz!)) to compete. These items are going to have 1-2 stats on them, so for a blue you’d only need to get 7 pips before you’re coming close to dropped blues. 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Why should purples drop off rank 10's in the early parts of the game?

Have the drops scale with crafter skill/time trained.

As in 1st campaign spring. Whites dropped maybe a green off the toughest of the tough as a rare drop. 

1st campaign winter some greens occasionally. Maybe near the end a blow blue off the toughest of the tough. 

As the crafters skills rise so does the pool of available drops. 

This is not a hard problem to solve with keeping it tied to the passive training of a campaign world. 

3 minutes ago, srathor said:

Why should purples drop off rank 10's in the early parts of the game?

Have the drops scale with crafter skill/time trained.

As in 1st campaign spring. Whites dropped maybe a green off the toughest of the tough as a rare drop. 

1st campaign winter some greens occasionally. Maybe near the end a blow blue off the toughest of the tough. 

As the crafters skills rise so does the pool of available drops. 

This is not a hard problem to solve with keeping it tied to the passive training of a campaign world. 

What happens with a somebody that joins as a crafter 6 months down the line?

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

They are lost in the 57.92^10th power of the things they need to do before worrying about being viable as a crafter in a cutthroat game of 30th level plus blue vessel only pvp campaigns?

Or the guildies put them to work making the things that have no stats yet still must b made while the get skills. You know apprentice like.

2 minutes ago, coolster50 said:

You just need a couple weeks, probably 3 max (specifically if training is kept 3x at launch (blair plz!)) to compete. These items are going to have 1-2 stats on them, so for a blue you’d only need to get 7 pips before you’re coming close to dropped blues. 

My feedback is based on the announced training rates. Of course they could change the training rates, but I think it makes sense to discuss how it would work according to the planned rates.

IhhQKY6.gif

29 minutes ago, jtoddcoleman said:

As I said, this is a valid problem and one that we will have to solve before launch.

Todd

I don’t think training time is a problem at all-

Passive training stays with you campaign to campaign.

it will only be a problem at launch and for the first couple months — after that the economy takes over.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

1 minute ago, srathor said:

Or the guildies put them to work making the things that have no stats yet still must b made while the get skills. You know apprentice like.

So coal and sinew? :P 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

21 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

So back in the day when we were getting 10 passive training points per second and it was described as 10x what it was intended at launch by the dev team , then lowered to 3 points per second and described as 3x we are just rampantly speculating and not taking our conclusions from information given by the dev teams?

As for you getting to 30 through sacrifice. On what rarity of Vessel? Because I and I’m sure many of the other players can tell you, as of right now hitting 30 on a white vessel is nothing in comparison to hitting 30 on a rare or epic. As a matter of fact I believe it was either @Jah, or @mandalore that said on here not to long ago that the grind to hit 30 on an epic vessel is so tedious and time consuming that the majority of Winterblades and HoA are in rare vessels.

This means right now in order to hit that top level crafting you’re going to have to grind a rare or epic to 30 which takes much longer and is goining to put you in areas where even with these scary low server populations you’re going to encounter pvp, because that’s where the best mats reside.