Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

An apple a day - Official discussion thread

It was an un-needed change.  A couple apples a day was all I needed to keep my health up before and I never once actively looked for food.  What ever I happened to stumble across was all I needed to keep my hunger at bay which shows how non relevant or game defeating the old system was and how unnecessary the change was in a game with sssooooo much relevant stuff that needs addressing.  My two cents.  I am not fully buying into the argument that ya'll don't listen to the players but I will say, un-necessary changes like this really add to their argument.  Just an fyi

Sounds good - I think food should be something you can't totally ignore in CF, but shouldn't be as harsh as pure survival game mechanics.  I'd rather be thinking about getting the yummy buffs on cooked food  🥪  than worrying about the negative impact too much.

tiPrpwh.png

Posted (edited)

I honestly thought those chicken legs were just a placeholder for an improved hunger mechanic. My small voice in this wants to say to remove the chicken legs and instead just have a few status indicators for hunger (e.g. starved, satisfied, full, and well fed). This would remove those gimmicky chicken leg icons and still add value to avoiding the "starved" condition and staying "well-fed". 

Edited by ilogos

I wouldn't mind if they completely did away with the subsistence mechanic, I think foods giving buffs and having durations is reason enough to want to stockpile them. I just wish they explored the Poison Food mechanic more.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

46 minutes ago, coolster50 said:

I wouldn't mind if they completely did away with the subsistence mechanic

I think they pursued it for the thematic reasons so it would be strange to take it away completely. They want to have a perception of scarcity, cold, and hunger near the end of their campaign - this could help add to that aesthetic. 

12 hours ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

It was an un-needed change.  A couple apples a day was all I needed to keep my health up before and I never once actively looked for food.  What ever I happened to stumble across was all I needed to keep my hunger at bay which shows how non relevant or game defeating the old system was and how unnecessary the change was in a game with sssooooo much relevant stuff that needs addressing.  My two cents.  I am not fully buying into the argument that ya'll don't listen to the players but I will say, un-necessary changes like this really add to their argument.  Just an fyi

You really don’t play the game. Can burn thru the chicken ticker in an hour no sweat.

It’s a great change. Always annoying mid battle to need to eat. 👍🏼👍🏼

6 hours ago, oneply said:

You really don’t play the game. Can burn thru the chicken ticker in an hour no sweat.

It’s a great change. Always annoying mid battle to need to eat. 👍🏼👍🏼

I do play the game.  Hours a day.  I find food drops in the wild to be so plentiful that I always have something to eat. Hell, I currently have food sitting in my inventory just taking up space.   So ya,  I stand by my statement.  It was an unnecessary change.

5 hours ago, nenju said:

why have a hungersystem in the first place if you tune it down so much now that we dont rly need to pay attention to it?

+1 

For me it's not really a good news it's just one more thing they simplify to get the gamer easier. 

all this "little" change seems came from elsewhere....

7 hours ago, nenju said:

why have a hungersystem in the first place if you tune it down so much now that we dont rly need to pay attention to it?

Having a  hunger system in place means another system they can adjust to make unique Campaign rulesets later on. For example, there could be a Campaign where hunger rates are hugely increased in Winter to make a more "survival" type world.

tiPrpwh.png

I dont know about everyone else but for me, im not really looking for a survival game where you need to eat food to stay alive. In other games that are close to the survival sandbox/MMO/rpg style they have the foods give buffs, regen your health, and regen your stamina.I dont think food should impact gameplay other than some buffs to health regen and stamina etc. Aslong as it doesnt make me need to actively be searching for food, when im worrying about other stuff like pvp and gathering or crafting etc then i dont think it will be a huge problem for me. I dont want to play a survival game, i want to play a MMO/RPG/Sandbox hybrid

Ive been logged into the test server for a couple hours on a few different days each this week. For the first time in ages.

Granted, the characters I spent the most time on were minotaurs, but I also had a stoneborn for comparison. The rate that the food decreased was just ridiculous. I pretty much stood by the campfire looking at how the skill trees have changed and reading the skill descriptions. I did a bit of logging as well, but not much. 

The chicken ticker would drop and drop and drop. Im thinking to myself, "who the hell would find this fun?"

Its not the issue of food being hard to get, I got some apples and cooked some meat from the chests. But the constant click food to fill the ticker.......so freaking annoying.

And this is after the supposed "FIX" of this article i guess.

Posted (edited)

@Toadwart, the chicken ticker changes will come in 5.100

Update: Blair told me that the chicken ticker changes had in fact gone out in a previous update. If you are still seeing ravenous results like that, we definitely need to look into it. Please make a post in the TESTING > 5.90 Bugs forum so QA can investigate. 

Edited by Pann
Updated response

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I prefer the old mechanic.  How can you play to crush if there aren't impediments to how you play?  It wasn't hard to get food.  Making the game simpler and easier does not make it better. 

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Zolaz said:

I prefer the old mechanic.  How can you play to crush if there aren't impediments to how you play?  It wasn't hard to get food.  Making the game simpler and easier does not make it better. 

and making the game tedious doesnt make it better either.

I will log back in and time it later today, but clicking the food every 5 minutes (or whatever it is) adds absolutely nothing positive to gameplay....nothing. Its just one more annoyance. As I said in my post, food wasnt necessarily hard to find. So let it be automatically eaten from the inventory and remove the tedium or better yet, do away with it entirely.

Is it fun for you to keep clicking on food throughout your play session? Does it add some extra layer of challenge or skill?

Edited by Toadwart

Following up on this with some additional information based on conversations this thread has sparked among the team -- 

Blair told me, "It's a big delta from what it was before; however, the repercussions for not eating are no where as bad as they were since we removed the 'starving' and 'famished' states. The only state we have left is 'hungry' (where your regens turn off). It happens at 30% remaining, and takes 70 minutes to get into that state. So for people who are mentally mapping it to the old values ('hungry' at 70%), then it may feel worse."

AFKTodd asked me to mention that food is now available from NPC vendors in the temples (in case some of you weren't aware of it). 

I requested some focused testing from our QA team. JPo jumped in and put together a list of things for them to look at specifically, which includes looking to see if jumping around causes the chicken ticker to wear down faster. (It used to but shouldn't anymore, but based on what we're hearing from players it sounds like it may still be in effect for certain races.) 

Thanks for all of the feedback/input so far. We'll keep you posted as we learn more. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community