Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

An apple a day - Official discussion thread

6 minutes ago, Pann said:

I requested some focused testing from our QA team. JPo jumped in and put together a list of things for them to look at specifically, which includes looking to see if jumping around causes the chicken ticker to wear down faster. (It used to but shouldn't anymore, but based on what we're hearing from players it sounds like it may still be in effect for certain races.) 

5.9 was in a pretty good spot for chicken ticker usage. It does feel like something bugged/changed with food depletion on TEST 5.100, I didn't figure out exactly what was going on though. "70 mins to 30%" is a good clue for what should be happening.

tiPrpwh.png

24 minutes ago, Pann said:

Blair told me, "It's a big delta from what it was before; however, the repercussions for not eating are no where as bad as they were since we removed the 'starving' and 'famished' states. The only state we have left is 'hungry' (where your regens turn off).

Do they realize that with barely any repercussions for not eating, then there is no real purpose for the mechanic and will devolve into an annoyance? If this is the direction forward, then might as well just go ahead and make it so food is automatically eaten from inventory now while ya'll have manpower tasked to that mechanic instead of waiting for the inevitable in the future.

14 hours ago, Toadwart said:

and making the game tedious doesnt make it better either.

I will log back in and time it later today, but clicking the food every 5 minutes (or whatever it is) adds absolutely nothing positive to gameplay....nothing. Its just one more annoyance. As I said in my post, food wasnt necessarily hard to find. So let it be automatically eaten from the inventory and remove the tedium or better yet, do away with it entirely.

Is it fun for you to keep clicking on food throughout your play session? Does it add some extra layer of challenge or skill?

Im ok with it feeding out of your inventory.  Maybe give me a food tray/bag where I can set up which foods I want to use first? Deeper and more encompassing mechanics are better than less and easier.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Pann said:

Following up on this with some additional information based on conversations this thread has sparked among the team -- 

Blair told me, "It's a big delta from what it was before; however, the repercussions for not eating are no where as bad as they were since we removed the 'starving' and 'famished' states. The only state we have left is 'hungry' (where your regens turn off). It happens at 30% remaining, and takes 70 minutes to get into that state. So for people who are mentally mapping it to the old values ('hungry' at 70%), then it may feel worse."

AFKTodd asked me to mention that food is now available from NPC vendors in the temples (in case some of you weren't aware of it). 

I requested some focused testing from our QA team. JPo jumped in and put together a list of things for them to look at specifically, which includes looking to see if jumping around causes the chicken ticker to wear down faster. (It used to but shouldn't anymore, but based on what we're hearing from players it sounds like it may still be in effect for certain races.) 

Thanks for all of the feedback/input so far. We'll keep you posted as we learn more. 

70 min to 30% is a tad fast. 90min or 120min would feel better

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

@Stumpstuff sent me the results of QA's research yesterday into the hunger mechanic. The results show that, with one exception, the system is working as intended. One minor bug was identified--there's one outlier instance where eating food didn't reset the global tick times--and has been added to the Fix list. 

There's a theory that new players, or players who are returning after a long absence, may see their subsistence affected by standing in or near Hunger spawns, particularly in God's Reach where they are going after spiders in the area I call "the spider gauntlet". 

All of this said, here's my recommendation. Pay close attention to your "chicken ticker" as you're bopping around in 5.100. If you feel that it still needs tweaking, share your insight - including screenshots and videos when possible - in the Testing feedback forums. That's the top place to post about bugs, issues and feedback. Giving us factual information with specific, constructive criticism arms us with what we need to make things better. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community