Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Changes with News updates

Hey, Crows!

I'll keep this short for now and we can discuss it in more depth if anyone has questions or comments. 

Our tradition has been to do at least two news updates per week with the occasional Founders' Update on Wednesdays. We're going to switch things up a bit now and do one news story per week and occasional blog-like posts on the forum. The difference between them being that news items are geared more towards "big beats," juicy information with wide appeal to the masses while the blog posts will be information that's mostly of interest to the engaged player/tester community. 

We're still working out the fine details, but I wanted to go ahead and get this posted so people who were waiting for today's news update will know why it didn't happen. 

Ask me your questions, Bridgekeeper. I am not afraid, 
~ Pann ~

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

@Pann the fluff was often more frustrating than the lack of news for me.  Do regular meaningful updates (every other week is fine with me). 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

I think even better would be to only make a news post when there's actually something interesting to be said without committing to a weekly schedule, or any specific timeframe really. I've completely tuned out all CF news for a long time now. I'm sure there were a couple interesting things buried in there that I ended up missing in the slew of garbage, but the period as a whole has converted me to a mindset of "I'm just going to stop paying attention to this game and I assume they'll send me an email when it's done." I don't recall what chain of mindless clicking led me to see this post and log in today, but it's anomalous.

Scarcity is pretty good stuff, man. I know it's been easy to criticize past developers for lack of communication and whatnot, but it really does have its upsides. The DF devs were perhaps the worst and most incompetent communicators in the biz, and yet when they did actually post an update, it was carefully dissected for any nuggets of information that could be milked out of Tasos' strange, vaporwarey greek writings.

I can't help but see a parallel with the testing strategy. By committing to running a live service before actually launching the game, you supersaturate the players with "spam" playtime, just as was done with "spam" news. I'm skeptical that it has value to anyone, at all, that couldn't be better produced with brief periods of focused testing of specific systems or milestones. ACE could stop paying through the nose to host a live service for a tiny number of players, and those players would benefit by not burning themselves out before the game even launches, instead eagerly anticipating brief testing periods.

ok, so any bug fixes with this update? Any updates not matter how important are relevant. Could be something as simple as changing the shade of apples to a darker red for no reason. I'd love to see any updates.

2 hours ago, Ciggy said:

ok, so any bug fixes with this update? Any updates not matter how important are relevant. Could be something as simple as changing the shade of apples to a darker red for no reason. I'd love to see any updates.

This is about weekly news updates, not game patches/updates.

4 hours ago, Ciggy said:

For patch notes, keep an eye out in the Testing & Feedback section.

I agree with this approach of fewer, more substantial, news posts. I would like to see distributed attention to ongoing programs and their development progression - i.e. development tracker reports on known major bugs, key development areas, etc. This would fit better in the blog post format. 

I'd go further and do a 2 week rotation or even a 4 week one in times between major things. If the need or content for more communication is there, post more. A fixed shedule always creates unneccesary tension to deliver content. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I'm on vacay until next week, but my trusty sidekicks JackalBark and FancyHats are holding down the fort. Popping in now to check on things and publish some news. (Spoiler alert: If you're reading this post, you are probably not in the demographic that the article is intended for; however, we'd still value your input in the discussion thread.) There's a new trial in the planning that will be announced as soon as we iron out some final details. Keep an eye out for that news to drop. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

In the mornings news …………Hax uXa and FoE played to crush last night took all three keep's.all the forts and all the out posts!!!!!

as for the real news I think ace forgot they have a testing base itching to test the stuff they need tested. with no actual way of knowing what needs to be done. aka a freaking list of ability's .specs mobs w/e  … lets get this thing rolling along .And 2weeks of silence on their behalf is disheartening 

guess this is a "theory is paddeling" thingy, they pretend to get something huge after a period of silence. even Q&A havent been where it was supposed to be. so i guess soon there will be some AWESOME news ;)

and yes, still no testing tasks