Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oneply

Ballistas are too OP

You cannot selectively apply reality where it’s convenient.  Or maybe the ability to carry 15000 logs is realistic.

Sorry, but you couldn’t be more incorrect.  The largest problem with ballista is, in fact, it’s lack of proper graphic and area animation.

9 minutes ago, Ble said:

Sorry, but you couldn’t be more incorrect.  The largest problem with ballista is, in fact, it’s lack of proper graphic and area animation.

I still think the damage needs to be adjusted. Whether that’s a straight up reduction, delay in DoT activation, or same overall damage but longer DoT duration doesn’t matter. It should be tweaked.

This is a test environment, play around with it. 

Just now, oneply said:

I still think the damage needs to be adjusted. Whether that’s a straight up reduction, delay in DoT activation, or same overall damage but longer DoT duration doesn’t matter. It should be tweaked.

This is a test environment, play around with it. 

Yeah, it does.  But if people knew for a fact they were in it, they could get out of it.  I've been targeted by Balista before and I know immediately that I'm in it, playing fully aware, as I'm supposed to, but I'm not sure where to run to get out of it.  It's possible that I could be on the left side, and instead of taking one step left to get out of it, run right all the way through it for nearly its full duration.    I need to know where the kill zone is.

I can easily keep my group alive in the damage.  If the healers are not doing this, they are either separated from their group or simply not doing a good job.

16 hours ago, mystafyi said:

The problem isn't lack of effect rings, its being able to sneak onto a castle walls and pull a ballista and ammo out of your buttocks and mount it on the enemy walls to use inwards at angles.

Small and large ballista for reference. 

p6291202.jpg

p6260972.jpg

Looking at these, I really don't see how/why a ballista even has a long term AOE.  That seems more the purview of a pitch throwing catapult.

Ballista should be devastating, but instant.  A difficult to aim narrow band of death that streaks rapidly, and disappears just as quick.

c521119b446e1c55600c690991e33564.png

You can launch anything that fits between the uprights supporting the upper and lower braces. I wouldn't be surprised if that barrel sitting there isn't a coincidence and that it's actually one of the possibly delivery systems for an incendiary load. The smaller model in the other picture is what would typically be used to launch the spear-like projectiles we see in game but you could easily use the same delivery system for volatile substances.

And that's just historical examples, Crowfall is a game where we have magic and castle walls that can be built in seconds using two rocks. I think it's well within the realm of the setting that a balista burns stuff.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KatzeWeiss said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that barrel sitting there isn't a coincidence and that it's actually one of the possibly delivery systems for an incendiary load. The smaller model in the other picture is what would typically be used to launch the spear-like projectiles we see in game but you could easily use the same delivery system for volatile substances.

You are correct. The larger ballista were indeed used for launching large projectiles similar to a catapult, incendiary, sometimes even diseased animals and people and recently even pumpkins. They are very difficult to aim and in many cases require repositioning after every couple shots. Load times were measured in minutes between shots and mechanical breakdowns were very common. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRtirKv8Ho

Edited by mystafyi

17 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

You are correct. The larger ballista were indeed used for launching large projectiles similar to a catapult, incendiary, sometimes even diseased animals and people and recently even pumpkins. They are very difficult to aim and in many cases require repositioning after every couple shots. Load times were measured in minutes between shots and mechanical breakdowns were very common. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRRtirKv8Ho

That sounds like the same role as a catapult in CF terms.  I would rather the fire effect moved there, possibly to a specific "type" of catapult to connote ammunition type. 

We only have access to blueprints for a Mk 1 catapult, perhaps there eventually will be an anti-personal model to match the versatility of the Mk 4 balista. CF at this point is a collection of placeholders and unfinished ideas, I'm sure this will be expanded at some point in the future.

4 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

That sounds like the same role as a catapult in CF terms.  I would rather the fire effect moved there, possibly to a specific "type" of catapult to connote ammunition type. 

Indeed. I would prefer the ballista's mounted on walls to fire spear type projectiles instead of a fire effect. I am pushing for ballista to be outward firing arc only, but I fear little traction there.