• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craggin

Racial Starting Attributes, Abilities, Slots, and Modifiers

Posted (edited)

Why do minotaurs get necromancy?

I cant ever remember seeing an instance of a minotaur as a spell caster and/or gravedigger. When I think of a minotaur....axes, labyrinths, guardians come to my mind. Not a "death" fascination. 

Also, how are these base stats balanced?

Elken get +90 base stats and no negatives

Half Elves get +120 base stats + a free cloak slot and no negatives

Minotaurs get +65 base stats and -30% food rate ???

I'll assume they arent balanced?

Edited by Toadwart

Yeah, they’re not supposed to be balanced. Though, through Necromancy, it is possible to overcome the initial stat differences 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

4 hours ago, Toadwart said:

Why do minotaurs get necromancy?

I cant ever remember seeing an instance of a minotaur as a spell caster and/or gravedigger. When I think of a minotaur....axes, labyrinths, guardians come to my mind. Not a "death" fascination. 

Also, how are these base stats balanced?

Elken get +90 base stats and no negatives

Half Elves get +120 base stats + a free cloak slot and no negatives

Minotaurs get +65 base stats and -30% food rate ???

I'll assume they arent balanced?

Minotaurs get frontal stun immunity and a charge power. Powers that move you quickly are very strong  considering how slowly you move in combat.  The races are not balanced perfectly but they are balanced asymmetrically. 

Half elves are arguably the worst race in the game.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hungry said:

Minotaurs get frontal stun immunity and a charge power. Powers that move you quickly are very strong  considering how slowly you move in combat.  The races are not balanced perfectly but they are balanced asymmetrically. 

But they dont get all of those? They have to be slotted on the bar and take the place of another skill. So its not like a race has more or less skill slots on the bar, except humans.

And every race gets a passive as well. The two races I compared to minotaur both get trailmaster (moves you quickly as you pointed out) vs frontal stun immunity.

Yet the minotaur is the only one with -30% to food rate.

I seem to remember larger races (mino, hill giant, centaur) were supposed to have a mass advantage at one point and not be able to get pulled or punted as far. But hasnt that all been given up on at this point?

Edited by Toadwart

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Toadwart said:

But they dont get all of those? They have to be slotted on the bar and take the place of another skill. So its not like a race has more or less skill slots on the bar, except humans.

And every race gets a passive as well. The two races I compared to minotaur both get trailmaster (moves you quickly as you pointed out) vs frontal stun immunity.

I seem to remember larger races (mino, hill giant, centaur) were supposed to have a mass advantage at one point and not be able to get pulled or punted as far. But hasnt that all been given up on at this point?

Most classes operate just fine with 5-6 powers on their bar.  You have plenty of space to use a movement skill which will make you stronger than any two non-movement skills someone else would have had instead.  Trailmaster isn't very strong in combat because it takes several seconds to activate and you have to be in harvest tray.  It's fine for getting around (though mounts are faster than it).

Fighting in this game is so reliant on positioning and good group composition that being able to move quickly is a very powerful tool, especially with most built-in movement options on very long cooldowns.

Edited by Hungry

1 hour ago, Toadwart said:

I seem to remember this game was supposed to have PvP and no/little PvE grinding, yet it doesn't.  I guess things fall off the roadmap.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, Toadwart said:

Note the other balancing factors not shown on this post:

Stat Caps - These become important when you start getting in to higher tier vessels. You're never going to have 300 strength on a human for instance, nor are you going to have 200 int on a half giant.

Class selection - This is the primary balancing factor for races. Most races can only choose a handful of classes, and in most cases each race's advantages add an important edge that is desirable for specific kinds of builds for that class.

Also note that these are not considered final, As they've said they're definitely doing another race balance pass once frostweaver is finished and crafting is stabilized.

Also note that half elf is not arguably the worst race in the game. It is objectively the worst race in the game, as its weak racial features do not add up to a compelling option on any of the classes it can play, and its higher base points do not make up for this.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Lets not forget about the possibility of being able to select certain traits at character creation. They may have scraped it but it would have allowed for all kinds of options... Increases to stat caps, etc...

Eat or be eaten

30 minutes ago, Omen said:

Lets not forget about the possibility of being able to select certain traits at character creation. They may have scraped it but it would have allowed for all kinds of options... Increases to stat caps, etc...

Uh necromancy......

Half elf has some enticing stats but the disadvantages in movement for the classes you can play are too big a factor. I wish it wasn’t the case, love their armor.