Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ble

Your game can't handle a siege of 50-60??

55 minutes ago, veeshan said:

I will say this though i rather a game with say runescape graphics than can run 300 or so people on the field at once then one that looks amazing but struggles with 50 😛 

Graphics quality isn't what is holding back mmo's nowdays, its network coding. Sure Gfx has an effect on performance, but now I would venture to say the bottleneck is now single core cpu speeds and network code. I fear the trend is to use off the shelf plug ins and modules and such instead of coding from scratch. 

What a shame you guys aren't leading this project, imagine what an incredible game this could have been with your experience of having heard something about unity once. Instead they just have some old people with more years experience than you've probably been alive and multiple shipped mmos under their belts, do they even know what makes a good game engine? I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, RandomNPC said:

What a shame you guys aren't leading this project, imagine what an incredible game this could have been with your experience of having heard something about unity once. Instead they just have some old people with more years experience than you've probably been alive and multiple shipped mmos under their belts, do they even know what makes a good game engine? I doubt it.

Well.  that was kinda demeaning of you.  do you know who we are in real life???  No.  for all you know we could be coders and techies and what not and have a lot of quality knowledge to bring to the table.  On top of that, current game developers who are using Unity say its crap for reasons I won't get into here.  Maybe the fact that these devs are "old people" to use your terminology is a hindrance rather than a help.  "old people" to once again use your terminology from my experience tend to be very stuck in their way and not open to change that is needed.  On a side note, the devs I have seen on stream don't look like "old people" to me.  Just saying.  While we are on the topic of MMO's they have shipped lets talk about the one that gets thrown around a lot as the main one they are "basing" this game off of, shadowbane.  That game failed.  look at its history.  Maybe we shouldn't be following the same path as that game if we want this one to succeed.  just saying :)  cheers mate :)  

Yes it's absolutely demeaning, I can't stand armchair developers, bunch of stubborn morons with no clue whats going on thinking some really obvious simple thing would fix everything. Feel free to ignore me, I don't expect to change any of your opinions anyways, I'm just blowing off steam xD

59 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

do you know who we are in real life???  No.  for all you know we could be coders and techies and what not and have a lot of quality knowledge to bring to the table.

Being coders and techies and whatnot has pretty much been ruled out by the comments. Frankly I'd be quite surprised if you could even describe what a game engine is.

59 minutes ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

On top of that, current game developers who are using Unity say its crap for reasons I won't get into here.

Ah yes, the aforementioned "experience of having heard something about unity once", I'm glad you won't even go into though, best to keep things vague.

1 hour ago, Kianna_RuneMaker said:

Maybe we shouldn't be following the same path as that game if we want this one to succeed. 

Oh you sweet summer child! Experience isn't about following the same path you followed before, it's about learning from past mistakes.

6 hours ago, RandomNPC said:

Yes it's absolutely demeaning, I can't stand armchair developers, bunch of stubborn morons with no clue whats going on thinking some really obvious simple thing would fix everything. Feel free to ignore me, I don't expect to change any of your opinions anyways, I'm just blowing off steam xD

Being coders and techies and whatnot has pretty much been ruled out by the comments. Frankly I'd be quite surprised if you could even describe what a game engine is.

Ah yes, the aforementioned "experience of having heard something about unity once", I'm glad you won't even go into though, best to keep things vague.

Oh you sweet summer child! Experience isn't about following the same path you followed before, it's about learning from past mistakes.

Ahh.. :)  this was a hoot and drew a much needed laugh at work.  :) thank you. :)  

6 hours ago, RandomNPC said:

Feel free to ignore me,

Fyi,  I'm not one of those "triggered"  folk.  I have no problem hearing (or reading) the words of others be it good, bad, or ugly. :)   I ignore no one.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RandomNPC said:

What a shame you guys aren't leading this project, imagine what an incredible game this could have been

Always wondering (or perhaps not) how brilliant minds care so much about what other people are developing instead of creating their own Kickstarter project.

Edited by RikForFun

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

Posted (edited)

Darkfall had fights in the 100's of people with full FPS aiming, projectiles with bullet drop and physics based abilities. Darkfall launched a decade ago. It can be done but it takes TIME. 

EDIT: Interesting read on how DF's game engine worked - http://www.sickenger.com/articles/the-anatomy-of-an-mmo-behind-the-curtains-of-darkfall/

Worth noting that Darkfall was over a decade in the making. http://www.sickenger.com/articles/the_making_of_darkfall/

Darkfall took 12 years from concept to release. Full blown development didn’t really start until 2003, but it still took 6 years from that point. 

Facts:
Team size at start: 3
Team size at release: 35
Time from concept to release: 12years
Time from full production to release: 6 years
Lines of code at release: Around 2million.

Edited by blazzen

5 hours ago, RikForFun said:

Always wondering (or perhaps not) how brilliant minds care so much about what other people are developing instead of creating their own Kickstarter project.

I mean for this one is pretty self explanatory.  People paid (hundreds to thousands) for it so they are ob concerned about how it is going. 

7 minutes ago, Marth said:

I mean for this one is pretty self explanatory.  People paid (hundreds to thousands) for it so they are ob concerned about how it is going. 

ob, totes ob

9 hours ago, blazzen said:

Darkfall had fights in the 100's of people with full FPS aiming, projectiles with bullet drop and physics based abilities. Darkfall launched a decade ago. It can be done but it takes TIME. 

The also had quite a lot of client control and lacked many server checks that would have prevented the ease of hacking that game. Black desert online launched with a lot of processes on the client side and lacked server checks. Hacking was rampant but performance with 50+ players was splendid. As those devs fixed the hacks by moving things to server, performance now suffers like most games. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mystafyi said:

The also had quite a lot of client control and lacked many server checks that would have prevented the ease of hacking that game. Black desert online launched with a lot of processes on the client side and lacked server checks. Hacking was rampant but performance with 50+ players was splendid. As those devs fixed the hacks by moving things to server, performance now suffers like most games. 

Yep! Doing large scale PvP with legitimate server checks is hard.

Even World of Warcraft chugs in both FPS and server performance in a lot of the big world PvP stuff. They've had 20 years of development and optimization and more money than god. It's just hard.

I've seen Crowfall run pretty smooth before in larger fights but when they're adding stuff as rapidly as they are there's gonna be some hiccups. 

Edited by ZYBAK

18 hours ago, Marth said:

Good point. On the other hand said brilliant people who are capable of running thier own development project, decided to pay (hundred of thousand) in trust of other developers and do not trust them when it is affirmed performance are going to be tuned up in a later stage of development.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

14 hours ago, mystafyi said:

I've long said you can either have a game with skillful enough combat that people will try to cheat (client side) or you can have combat that's so clunky nobody will ever need to cheat (server verified). 

Ask yourself this question - what do you think the new character controller in 5.9 did? ;) 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, oneply said:

Using an out dated (“comfort”) engine seems to be a trend. Never played SB but from my understanding the engine was an issue there too. 

Wolfpack Studios created their own engine, The Arcane Engine for ShadowBane. There were no "middleware" or adaptive third party engines back in 1998 (Big World, Unreal, Unity etc).

IIRC, a Chinese company called Chang You purchased the rights to SB, not to ever revive or market the game, but for the sole purpose of studying the Arcane Engine's Archetecture. 

Unfortunately, the rough launch may have sunk the project. Three to four years after launch, once the bugs were  worked out,  there were "banes" with 3-400 participants at one location. It was, tab target as well of course. Even the emulators have had success with launches of 1200 people and 300 man banes. Eventually... the Arcane Engine was actually pretty good..... for it's time of course.

devolve.jpg

this picture illustrate at the best evolution in every aspect in the world start from 1999 year imo.

MMOrpg creating is also here.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

Darkfall was so full of exploit holes - that I would suggest to be kept at an all times minimum standard for a game engine. Performance and security don't go hand in hand. I would go for security because while performance will keep people away the invasion of hackers will do even more so.

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org