Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trugamer

Gameplay - Some Core Mechanics Please Do And Dont's

The devs are going for a tactical, skill based game.

Targeting just ruins that sort of gameplay.

Honestly, I don't want to see homing fireballs and arrows.

If they aren't homing, then targeting just doesn't work. Especially when movement is a big deal.

As has been said, focus firing is also not fun in large scale pvp.

Sure, it might be fun for the team doing it, but not fun for the guy getting gibbed with no way to respond.

If you're going to not be able to respond, it should be because you didn't noticed that group of archers that just arrived on the hill nearby while you're fighting in melee combat against their ally, who is acting as a distraction so you'll die. If you noticed the archers, you can at least try to get the heck out, like their ally inevitably will seeing as he's probably on voice comms and knows the attack is coming based on timing.

Skill based fighting has a far more tactical style of gameplay to it than targeting does, and is also a lot more fluid.

I hear what you're saying, but look at Tera, look at Neverwinter online, look at Skyforge, there is a huge limit to what "skill" combat really means. Even in Neverwinter there is a kind of targetting system, even GW2. I agree, and I have made another post about skill combat since CF decided in this manner, but this system can really be evolved to move much faster and deeper combat having just as much merit as targeted combat, but compromises are important...

Here is the example of the archer I made:

You aim and take your shot, holding your button longer means you get more control over how much power you put into your shot, but it also means for full power you have to wait longer meaning you can fire less arrows. A professional archer can put full power very quickly into each shot but that means you have less control over the power because it charges to full power too quickly, BUT you do get to fire off more at full power, which is more realistic, but if you have to skillfully arc a shot you will need the power to charge up to maximum slower in order to aim.

Compromise is inevitable and required!

I think that's a poor mentality because ultimately it's just not true, it's the lack of creativity on behalf of designers that has targeted gameplay feeling "boring" by introducing cleverer skills targeted combat feels richer and more full.

Edited by trugamer

-Truthe Yashikawa

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild.  Welcome Home.

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

I enjoy FPS games (not all of them), but I yet to find free-aim MMO that did it right.

Good FPS has a lot of 'ingredients' other than aiming that makes it good. Penalty for moving, spread patterns, pull-up and weapon handling, different types of weapons (e.g. sniper rifle vs. SMG vs. shotgun).

Yes FPS has a lot of elements, but RPG does too and people forget that magical beings are going to be stronger, faster, smarter. An elf archer for example is considerable more refined than the ordinary humans of our lives, as such recoil of a man made weapon would just be non existent, furthermore shooting and aiming arrows would be a great deal easier too, much faster than a human mind could cope with. As such you have to make compromises with "skill" based action...creativity is the answer!

Edited by trugamer

-Truthe Yashikawa

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild.  Welcome Home.

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

While i understand your position, i think aiming at "lazy" features is only harmful for any game.

Limiting the work, creativity, and organisation of the more clever players to please those who doesn't even wants to make friends nor improve their own skill is the definition of unfunny, at least for me.

I understand, if you are playing a good archer, he should be able to shoot fast. Yet, you can't limit the comunity to be at the same level, you would shorten the personal progresion if you  smooth the system for everyone to fit in.